PDA

View Full Version : tank is not what I was lead to expect :(

consuelo
07/29/2007, 10:09 AM
Well picked up the tank- supposed to be in good shape, and 4 years old. Tank is dated 1991.....and has two deep scratches and lots of small scratches. Yes, I could spend a couple of hundred dollars to repair and polish, but it is just flat too big for hubby and I to handle. stand is oak and is really nice and in good shape, weighs a gazzillion pounds, and its 4' high. Also went to the saltwater store in Lubbock, and was amazed at how cheap tanks are!! I paid $500, for $700 I could have gotten a new, beautiful 100 gallon with a nice stand and hood. So, I am going to try to sell the setup I hauled from Lubbock for what I paid for it, but folks will be able to see it, and buy a new one. I emailed Sam- I'm sure he can do a similar deal as the Lubbock store. If I can't recoup my $$ or at least close (sometimes we have to pay for stupid moves), I can always use it as frog tank, or isolation tank, or give to my son when he returns, because he always has lots of young military muscle around to help him move. If anyone wants it, we'll even bring it to you!!

That said, its going to be a while...I need to recover from all of what I have bought so far, and I am leaving to Kansas- my mom is having her second triple bypass, and she's 79. So my hobbies are on the back burner... although I did pick up a refractometer...and hubby loved the saltwater store...I'm hoping to reel him into the madness....and he is at least playing with the bait...;)

killingseed
07/29/2007, 10:31 AM
sorry to hear that.
i think some people ask way to much for used stuff most the time close to the new price. on the other side if someone is willing to pay you get your money worth.

i'd rather pay more and get a new. never know what kind of med's someone might have used in a used tank. and for that kinda cash i wouldnt take a chance, but thats me.

zed915
07/29/2007, 10:31 AM
keep us posted, you may want to post the pics on the forum to resell.

consuelo
07/29/2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not really complaining- to most the tank would be in good shape, but I'm just not willing to sink the money into it-like having it drilled, buying the glass polishing kit, etc. I really liked the 100 gallon, had an unstained stand, with a canopy with doors in it. The setups there were really cheap, but here they are ridiculous-so it will be a good buy for someone local that wants a freshwater setup and doesn't want to go to Lubbock or Alb. for a used tank. So I'm cool- and like I said, I have time because I will be gone, and busy for a couple of weeks anyway. I'm bettin Sam can email me pics, and let me pick a new setup reasonable, and if nothing else, I'll keep the stand (it is truly the largest piece of furniture in the house!!), buy a new tank and use the old one for curing, or growing algae or something!! After all, my husband has heard me say a hundred times, you can never have too many cages, or too many tanks.... of course, he might not agree..

strayvoltage
07/30/2007, 01:21 AM
that is really to bad that you got taken like that. It could still be that you can clean the back, if it isn't scratched.

All the best to your mom with her bypass.

If you need any help with advice or help with maybe trying to clean the back if it is better than the front, just shout out.

reeftexas
07/30/2007, 04:59 PM
My prayers to you and your mother.I'm going through the same thing with my mom in San Antonio,but with her kidneys.They just started her on dialysis.Good luck to her.

Salty Sam
07/31/2007, 01:33 PM
consuelo, I pm'd you. Hope everything works out for your mom.

reeftexas...You have a pic of yourself for an avatar? You stud. Lol

consuelo
08/08/2007, 03:47 PM
Well, went to Petco, and they had their display tank for sale- 90 gallon reef ready, with two sumps, pumps, skimmer, filter, etc for $800, with a maple stand. so I melted my plastic, but at least I'm starting out right!! So, I will resell the big tank at a loss, and will probably post the stuff from the display for sale, as I'm sure what I bought for equipment is better quality. This tank is 48", will fit the new light perfect. So, hopefully I'll be rockready in a couple of weeks!!

killingseed
08/08/2007, 04:35 PM
new light ? which light you got

consuelo
08/08/2007, 04:58 PM
I got the used one that waverz had posted a while back, I think you looked at it also? Its an Outer Orbit, supposed to be here tomorrow, but its 48". It looks to me like the one from petco is just plain jane hood, they had it set up as a fish only, so it has no scratches!! I'm thinking Marshall Island rock with some kaileni? Starting to get excited!
c.

consuelo
08/09/2007, 08:12 PM
The light with the tank is: Twin-Tube Fluorescent Strip Lights Black 48 Inch All-Glass , but it has two very skinny attached to each other fluorescent lights that plug into the middle, one set on each side, as in they kind of look like a horseshoe. Not sure what kind they are, they are pretty funny looking. Also has: Eshopps Refugium w Sump with a short skimmer and pump. Tank is All-Glass, 48 X 18 X 24 high, and has an Eshopps wet dry filter. So, I have the Outer orbit light, the 250 euro reef skimmer, and the dolphin amp master pump. Please tell me I can buy rock as I can get some money!!! Oh, also, kid at the petco was really impressed with the manly size of the other tank, and is probably going to buy it, with only a $100 loss and a trip to lubbock, and a week of a sore back....

killingseed
08/10/2007, 05:25 PM
light sounds like a 96w power compacts Outer Orbit, its a good light. you could still run both light for a little more lighting.

As for LR you are some what better off getting it from one of our LFS, they will cure it and let you know when you can pick it up. Most the rock you can order all has to be cured or cooked. Base rock if helpful can cost less and help on over all cost. The more pores the rock the better the rock is.

killingseed
08/10/2007, 05:33 PM
oh, if your sump came with bioballs you may want to think about removing them the LR will be more then enough. the bio-balls can build up nitrite or nitrate, i forget, but still. you could replace with LR rubble. could even run some macro algea in the sump if posible.

consuelo
08/10/2007, 10:30 PM
I am pretty tickled, should be in business if hubby is in a plumbing mood.....you know that takes beer and a mind set.. patience is not my strong point... it would be one thing if I was setting it up like it was in the store, but I have already purchased the other stuff, so I should use those!! Way cool!!

strayvoltage
08/10/2007, 10:59 PM
Sounds like fun to be doing a new set up.
I know I was really excited when I got my AP 12 a while back, well still am for that matter.

SOULEMAN
08/11/2007, 04:24 AM
She got the outer orbit with 2 mh and t-5's . Its the one i was talking to the same guy about. If i remember correctly it is the 2x150w MH and T-5's she got an excellent deal. ( bad woman) LOL
:D
but thats ok I just got my new light in too. same one but i got the 2x250's mh and t-5's. and it was new. for dirt cheap. Man my clams and sps love there daddy. Man u have to love people getting divorces... LOL:rollface: :eek2: :eek1: :D :rolleyes:

consuelo
08/11/2007, 08:19 AM
so you got one from a divorce??? Hate it when that happens, but in those situations folks are happy to have someone take it off their hands. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys that Bliss is deploying in October, and I had already committed to picking up a tank from a soldier that will be leaving.

I also have another question..
I keep my house at 74 degrees, its a small house, and as I keep poison dart frogs, I keep the entire house at that temp, ( they like it cool). The set up came with a small heater, but I was hoping to not have to do additional heating and cooling beyond ambient temp. Am I dreaming? The tank has a closed canopy, so I was going to get hubby (did I mention he doesn't know I bought another tank yet?) to drill large holes to suspend the light under the canopy, and if necessary add some puter fans to force air into the next room. Whats the consensus?

jmait769
08/11/2007, 10:12 AM
Consuelo - I believe we have the same size tanks. I keep mine at 80°. I use two 150 watt heaters in the sump controlled by an AC jr. I think with an enclosed canopy you will heat the water with the lights during the day. You may have a problem at night when the lights go out and then the tank will be susceptible to temp swings. We keep our house at 78° in the summer and 75° in the winter. I have a fan over the sump and when the tank temp gets over 80° the AC jr switches it on and cools the water by evaporation. So far this has worked this summer but I do not have a canopy.

HTH

Jay

killingseed
08/11/2007, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10529327#post10529327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by consuelo
I keep poison dart frogs

i have a couple Fire-Bellied Toad for my sons.

consuelo
08/12/2007, 09:05 PM
well kid from Petco came out and bought tank and stand for $350, so I only lost $150 dollars, and diesel to Lubbock and back...not bad for a life lesson...dang, you'd think at 51 I would have all those taken care of by now!! So spilled milk and all that, at least it will be out of my hair, and I won't buy another one site unseen!! I'm going to let him pay it out also-but he only brought one other guy with him, and the stand is a 4 person job-with pain involved, so hopefully this week the beast will be gone!!