PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp and baby Banggai's

gas4544
12/24/2000, 09:17 PM
My father Banggai is coming up on three weeks and I will be moving him to the nursery tank in the next couple of days. Since the first successful brood, the 10-gallon nursery tank has become a nano tank with a live sand bed, rubble rock, caulerpa, assorted mushrooms, some softie frags, an emerald crab, some micro-hermits, a coupla snails and two small peppermint shrimp (for Aptaisia control).
Will the baby Banggai's be at risk if I leave the peppermint shrimp in the nursery tank? I could just move them to the reef.

FMarini
12/26/2000, 05:14 PM
Great question...
i have No personal experience w/ this....
i can speculate right????
i would suggests that they shrimp will attempt to eat the fry, the fry are easy food, and they sleep at night, so my guess(a 50/50 chance) is don't keep the fry in there w/ the shrimp
frank

Clyde
12/26/2000, 09:31 PM
Rod - a friend from the chat rooms, and a fellow friend I met through JT

had what ? 12 bangaii frys put in his sump today, there was 5 - 6 left in 1 hour

the sump holds a few peppermint shrimps he said.

so just an FYI what I heard.

gas4544
12/27/2000, 01:27 AM
Tomorrow I leave for Maryland for a week and I am leaving my tanks in the care of my two roommates. I just went over the list of duties and guidelines with them. They have taken care of my tanks several times successfully.
Tonight I am going to make one last try to catch my egg-carrying Banggai. Since the last transfer to the nursery tank, I have added about 40 lbs of live rock, creating more hiding places. And unfortunately, I have two big peppermint shrimp and three cleaner shrimp in the reef tank. And a lawnmower blenny that will eat anything that will fit in his mouth.
I have a fresh batch of baby brine shrimp to feed baby Banggai's. Hopefully, the babies will not be released until I return on January 2, but that would be the 28 day point. Doesn't it just figure that my pair would mate one week after I purchased my airline tickets.
It bums me out that I may not be able to catch the male to move him and the eggs to the nursery tank, but you can only do what you can do.

dave willmore
12/29/2000, 02:08 PM
hey folks,

i'm brand new to this list, and don't know if people usually introduce themselves with a background. but regarding cardinal fish and peppermint shrimp, i have a little experience. most peppermint shrimp i've had preferred to stay on the bottom or on the rock structures, and aren't typically surface feeders, so your larvae are probably safe. on the other hand cleaner shrimp quickly learn to skim the surface and will eat any larvae they find there.

dave w.
fairfax, virginia