PDA

View Full Version : All DIY glass 65 gallon system

GreenUku
07/25/2007, 02:07 AM
Some of you know that I've been working on a new reef setup this summer, so I decided to put up a thread to post my progress as I go along for those interested.

For reasons even I don't fully understand, I decided to basically DIY the whole system, including tank, stand, light fixture, sump, overflow, top off,...

The display is somewhere around 65 gallons, with exterior dimensions 36" L x 24" W x 18" H. I ended up going with 3/8" regular glass (sorry Starfire fans) and 2" wide Eurobracing.

Here's what I've got so far, leak testing on the porch...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/5852065_leak_test1.JPG

The first thank you goes to Rob at Southwest Reef Company, who took the time to design a stand for someone like me with limited tools and more importantly limited woodworking skills. I think it turned out OK, considering it's the first stand I've ever built. It's all 2x4's with a 1/2" birch plywood top. The stain is supposed to be "American Cherry".

I got my glass from Glasshoppers (872-1007) and had them drill it as well. Glasshoppers is run by a guy named Sean, who was very helpful and got me the best prices in town. He even said he was considering building a tank after this... :eek1:

I'll post more as I get it done. :cool:

xchrisjb
07/25/2007, 08:52 AM
That's a great size for a tank. I'm looking forward to seeing some construction pics (if you've got them) and seeing how things go from here ...

I'm assuming the leak test worked out okay?

Catawaba
07/25/2007, 12:09 PM
Looks like a good start. Will you add a matching canopy?

GreenUku
07/25/2007, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10409901#post10409901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xchrisjb
That's a great size for a tank. I'm looking forward to seeing some construction pics (if you've got them) and seeing how things go from here ...

I'm assuming the leak test worked out okay?

I'm still leak testing. There are some bubbles near the top of one seam that I'm watching. I put in some powerheads to add a little water movement, which may or may not put a little more outward force on the walls. I'd much rather have a leak now than later, so I'm waiting a few more days. I may bite the bullet and redo that seam for peace of mind.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10411056#post10411056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Catawaba
Looks like a good start. Will you add a matching canopy?

I'm not adding a canopy, but I'm building a light fixture for my six T5 lamps that will be stained the same color as the stand. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to suspend it from the ceiling or put it on legs.

crazy4acros
07/28/2007, 11:25 PM
Dude that looks freakin AWESOME!!!! Are you going to place an overflow? Oh and what was the reason why you went with regular glasss? Still, this starfire fan is impressed JOB WELL DONE! Keep us posted as it develops.

Thor

GreenUku
08/01/2007, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10435996#post10435996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crazy4acros
Dude that looks freakin AWESOME!!!! Are you going to place an overflow? Oh and what was the reason why you went with regular glasss? Still, this starfire fan is impressed JOB WELL DONE! Keep us posted as it develops.

Thanks!

The tank will be a peninsula stlye, so I'm putting an overflow on the short side, opposite the camera in the picture. It's kind of hard to tell that all of the bulkheads are on that side in the photo because of reflections. I will post more pics when I put the overflow in.

I decided against Starfire just because it was so much more expensive and I'm probably not obsessive enough about keeping the glass clean to make it worth it. Although, if I did have it, who knows, I might get some obsessive-compulsive tendencies real fast. :D

Maybe next tank...

moonpower
08/08/2007, 10:44 PM
Great Job! Roy That is going to be am nice size.

GreenUku
08/19/2007, 03:42 PM
A minor update:

Things have been going slowly... I'm still waiting on my skimmer so I can make my sump and am still working on my T5 lighting fixture.

Here are some pictures of my overflow made with $1 of scrap acrylic. Tigersax7, one of the local acrylic meisters, helped me take my basic idea and lack of experience and put this together. I mostly watched, though I did route the teeth :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58520overflow1.JPG

Here's a little shelf I made to keep critters/objects out of the overflow. I attached some little tabs to the inside of the overflow box to hold the shelf up. The shelf is just eggcrate (thanks for the eggcrate rabidfrog) and gutter guard held together with cable ties.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58520eggcrate1.JPG

And this picture shows some free flow plumbing to test the overflow. It took me a couple tries to get it glued onto the glass well, but the overflow seems to be attached now!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/58520overflow2.JPG

moonpower
08/20/2007, 01:29 PM
Looking good! You might want to put some thought into how you will clean that overflo tray guard. I have been cleaning my eggcrate steps that I have in the 40 frag tank. I have ended up taking them down and soaking them in vinigar.

GreenUku
08/20/2007, 03:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10594334#post10594334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moonpower
Looking good! You might want to put some thought into how you will clean that overflo tray guard. I have been cleaning my eggcrate steps that I have in the 40 frag tank. I have ended up taking them down and soaking them in vinigar.

Hmm... Maybe I'll make an extra cover so I can switch them out while I clean one of them.