PDA

View Full Version : me again, protein skimmer first...

consuelo
07/23/2007, 10:20 PM
Hey, looks like the first big purchase is the protein skimmer, and then plumb down from there. Tank is 125, and I bought a 75 gallon tank for a sump. If I can get the tank drilled I will, if not, I will work around it. I am looking at protein skimmers, one person suggested a euroreef:

Euro-Reef CS6-4 Protein Skimmer
FREE SHIPPING via UPS Ground (US48)
Availability: Usually ships the next business day
Item Code: ER1117

Our Price: $498.00

But it looks like folks like Tunze a lot.. and
Tunze DOC Protein Skimmer 9015
FREE SHIPPING via UPS Ground (US48)
Availability: Usually ships the next business day
Item Code: TZ5335

Our Price: $427.33

Which would be the best, in sump for reef tank, with a few fish...last the longest etc, or are these really comparable?

zed915
07/23/2007, 10:33 PM
I like the Remora's, Sam may have some info regarding that.

killingseed
07/24/2007, 12:14 AM
well first off, you have more then enough room in a 75 gal tank for insump skimmer. with some glass you could section out a refug ,return section , a skimmer section and some bubble traps. very easy to do and the most it will cost is some glass from like baker glass. i have made 3 or 4 sumps that way for different people and myself. can be designed many ways and some thought should be put in to that based on what you want it to do for you. depanding on drain and return pump you might not need to have a hole drilled in the 75gl. you didnt say if the 125 was RR maybe you did and i missed it

as for skimmer the word is pay what you can. the bigger buck gets you a bigger bang. i have heard more good things about Euro-Reef on rc , then other skimmers. that 6-4 can be ran in sump. i think that is a plus for saving space but thats my opinion. and the mods you can do with those skimmers make a big differnce.

i am only running a Coralife super skimmer 65 and wish it was the CSS 125 or something better. the biggest buck i could get from the wife at the time was only about 100.oo :< and i got it on sale from Dr fs for 79.oo, half price. she has read some books and her thoughts on now "our" tank are better and i can get away with a little more.

mitchellmoto
07/24/2007, 01:52 AM
Man is it me or does that seem like a lot of cash for a protien skimmer for that size tank. I have a 180 with 40 gal refugium and I only paid 225 for my skimmer from Sam and it does great. I guess if you have the money but I would look around you surely can find a great skimmer for less money. I mean for almost $500 buck I could find a skimmer and alot of other thing. The only thing I paid that much for was my reflectors, everything else comes nowhere close to that price, besides the actual tank of course.

consuelo
07/24/2007, 05:21 AM
hhhmmm, good to know. The first thing I have learned: be patient. normally I would have whipped out the ole plastic and said I need it, geterdone. So I am going to be patient, watch ebay, and see what turns up. I think I am going to get the 125 drilled, if its not tempered glass. Its an older tank, got the tank, canopy and stand for $500. The 75 came from a friend for $50 bucks. I REALLY like the idea of multi use sumps, especially the refugium aspect. Wants again, thanks!! Guess I'll wait a while, maybe petco will go out of business!!! I read on RC that "if you buy shoddy skimmers for $500 bucks, you get what you pay for, and they were recommending one for $1,000. So essentially I thought I was going high shoddy!! Grasshopper will learn (Geez anyone else old enough to get that??)

killingseed
07/24/2007, 08:23 AM
i have to ask now how old are you. i watched kung-fu when i was a kid. there are a lot of deals on rc. i wouldnt jump on the first one that comes around. i see people asking new prices for used stuff way too much and those arent deals.

killingseed
07/24/2007, 08:25 AM
which skimmer do you have mitch

mitchellmoto
07/24/2007, 01:25 PM
Man I don't remember the brand. Maybe Sam remenbers? How bout it Sam you remember. You had this one and that huge Berlin that wouldn't fit under my stand. Alls I know is it pulls some nasty crap out. and I've never had a problem in my tank. Ha I just looked into my old Private messages it is an ASM.

bpatrol
07/24/2007, 01:47 PM
The Tunze doc skimmers and the euro-reef are both excellent skimmers.
A protein skimmer is the single most important thing you can have in your tank. so skimping on a cheaper model may seem like a good idea but in the end you will want something better. typicaly higher quality skimmers produce better and keep there adjustment better then most of the cheaper models.
An alternative and one that i am impressed with are the Octopus skimmers from Coralvue.
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=CV&subcatID=ps-std
this model may be for you.PS-CVOCT-DNW-150.
I have had ASM skimmers, euroreef, and tunze all good skimmers, but the recirculating skimmers are amazing as far as performance. They will outperform a non recirc any day. For anybody that has not seen one in action. go to Sea Creatures and talk to jimmy. He had an asm skimmer on his prop system and switched to a octopus skimmer it made 3-4 times more skimate consistently.. i switched my euro reef to a octopus in my 120 with a 30 gallon refugium and love the performance.
Whatever you decide don't skimp on a skimmer and welcome to saltwater aquariums!

P.S. all the stores here like the coral reef and sea creatures are owned by really honest and smart owners. If you cant decide they can help guide you....good luck and start with good equipment from the get go and you will have more sucess then failures...bpatrol

killingseed
07/24/2007, 01:49 PM
i think chuy has that one was looking at some pics. the ASM G-1X G-Series is rated for 150 gl tanks and less then the euro. ya maybe one of the local stores can chime in on this one.

Salty Sam
07/24/2007, 02:53 PM
consuelo....welcome to ELPMAS.

The ASM G1-X is rated to 150 gal.........275.00
ASM G-3 is rated to 250 gal.........335.00
Aqua C Urchin Pro is rated to 120 gallons but I run these on 200 gallon tanks no problem.....245.00 with better Mag Pump.

I also can get Euro Reef at good prices and can get Coralvue as well.

Thanks
Sam
The Coral Reef
915-591-7051

consuelo
07/24/2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks again, my word file is growing!! So much to think about!! BTW KS, I'm 51, and still crazy after all these years...I'm always making remarks like "you will learn grasshopper" and getting completely blank looks from some of the younger staff....they don't know all the cool stuff they've missed!! DANGER DANGER will robinson....(from my checkbook!!)

strayvoltage
07/24/2007, 10:01 PM
I run the Remora pro on my 125 and have had it going for almost 2 years now, and am very pleased with it. Seems to be very well built and does a great job for me. It is a hang on not an in sump, but the aqua c urchin that Sam spoke of is the same brand. JMO

mitchellmoto
07/27/2007, 12:38 AM
Yes you can easily spend a grand on a skimmer. You could also buy a Jaguar or you can just go with the good old toyota. How many Jags you see on the same engine after 300,000 miles. My point is yes you can spend lots but why you can find just as good skimmer for less money. Go on reef videos dot com and listen to Anthony Calfo video. There are plenty of skimmer in the 500 range that are junk. Money isn't a good way to judge equipment. Ask around go on other foruns find out what other people are using in tanks your size. If your not going to overflow your tank with fish you don't need a super skimmer. If people can run intire reef tanks for years without a skimmer at all I'm sure you can get away with one that is less than an arm or a leg. Some times it's easier if you don't stock your tank to the brim with pooping fish. And if you want a recirculating skimmer they are easily modded to recircs later in life if you determin it is needed and you can save your money for those beautiful corals. HA

consuelo
07/27/2007, 06:37 AM
I hear you! Ignorance is not bliss, trust me. I have made two major purchases:
48" Outer Orbit 2x150 w/ T5 Lamps
Euro-Reef RS250 Skimmer w/pump
The light is used, but it was a good deal, bought it on reef central. The euro reef was a pretty good deal I think, it was $477 with no shipping. So now, if I have a tank I could potentially pick up some rock, and start curing it, ? The lights won't cover the entire tank, its 6', but I was thinking one end could be devoted to "low light" critters? I think the reason I keep worrying about the skimmer is people telling me repeatedly that is the single most important thing... as for Toyotas, you'll love this. In one week, my camry (200K miles) and my FJ cruiser (9K Miles) both quit working, good thing I can walk to work. Hubby visits on weekends, he finds a spark plug wire with a section completely chewed out. He buys new ones ($70), replaces them. I drive to work thinking, hmmm hubby is losing it, it still runs like **** (save the censor the trouble). So next weekend, he looks.....the exact same wire with the same section chewed out. He fixes the wire chewed up in the cruiser, then discovers it is a chewed up mess, all the ABS wiring is in pieces and you have to drop the transmission to even get to it. So he gets it drivable, and takes it to the dealer, who says its THE THIRD VEHICLE THAT DAY that the ******* rodents have chewed up. We have had so much rain, we have been trapping wood rats like crazy, I run the 'trap line' every morning!! Point is, we are definitely Toyota folks...so can I do this here, or do I have to jump to the lounge if I want to tell an off topic story?