PDA

View Full Version : Outcomes from 9/21 meeting

luminary
09/27/2002, 07:23 AM
We had a great meeting on saturday and decided a bunch of issues that have been discussed over the past few months. This will be a bit long, but it's all important stuff...

Club Officers
The following people were elected on:
President: Matt Galvin
Treasurer: Deborah Albert
Secretary: Jen Keim
Webmaster: Greg Taylor

It was decided that these positions would be held for 1 year, effective Jan 1 - Dec 31. Yearly elections would be held in October. This will give incoming officers some overlap with the previous officers.

If new positions are necessary, the club will vote on them as needed.

Membership
A membership application is being created that is based off of the ORCA application (with their permission). Blank applications will be available from the website and at meetings. They can be turned in with dues at any club meeting.

Dues
The amount of $20 per year was agreed upon. Collected dues will be used to offset the cost of the website domain, the business cards that are given to local stores, and some club events. Usage of club funds must be approved by the club (with the previous items already having been approved).

By paying annual dues, a person will be considered a Member of the TBRC. This will entitle them the actively vote in club issues, receive a free raffle ticket when raffles are held, have a small gallery on the club website and receive a discounted admission to any club events that require payment (such as Aquarium trips). Other benefits may be added as the club desires.

Dues will be collected on a yearly basis, with payment covering from Jan 1 to Dec 31. Anyone who wishes to become a member after Aug 1 will only have to pay $10 for the remainder of the year.

No Dues will be collected for the 2002 year. The will not be due until Jan 1, 2003.

As club treasurer, Deborah will keep track of dues and maintain the club finances. It was decided that she can manage them however is most convenient for her.

A primary concern that we all had was to ensure that someone is not discouraged from taking part in the club just because they cannot pay the dues. They are still welcome at the meetings, they just will not receive the additional member benefits.

Auctions and Frag Trades
The club will hold Auctions and Frag Trades at certain meetings to be determined at the previous meeting and depening on it's location.

A set percentage of 80/20 (member/club) will apply to all auctions. If the member auctioning the item would like to donate more than 20%, that is certainly allowed, but no less than 20%.

It will be the responsibility of the President (or someone they appoint at the meeting) to ensure that the auctions run smoothly. Each item should be labeled as to what it is and what the starting bid should be (as determined by the member auctioning the piece).

After auctions are completed, members may take part in a frag trade as they desire.

There will be no direct sales made at club meetings. Any transactions that take place through or during club events must be done through the 80/20 auction.

Meeting Structure
Meetings will generally be held according to the following schedule.

1. The president will welcome and introduce new members.
2. Any club business will be discussed (ie, future trips, events, finances, etc).
3. Introduce the Speaker/Presenter if one is present.
4. Auction and Frag Trading
5. Social gathering, mingling, eating, etc.

Mentor Program
It was proposed that the club create a mentor program to enable less experience reefkeepers to get help from the more experienced members. It was decided that this would not be done as an "official" program. One of the purposes of the club is to help it's members with their reefkeeping. New/unexperienced hobbyists should be encouraged to attend club meetings to get help and advice.

Website (www.tampabayreef.com)
The existing web pages will be completely removed and an entirely new site will be created.

Types of items found on the page will include, but not be limited to:
- Front page with club purpose and logo
- Gallery of members with descriptions and pictures of their tanks
- Member address book (to be decided what information will be present)
- A library of books that members are willing to lend to other members.
- Web links
- Online articles
- Local stores

The list of local stores that is on the site should be objective. It will list location, hours of operation and type of merchandise that is stocked. It will start as a list of all stores that we know if, but stores may be removed if they contact us and ask us to do so. The stores should be from all areas where the club has members.

We still need volunteers to help work on the website. Anyone with HTML or Graphic Design experience that can help please contact me!

Upcoming Meetings
October 12th: We are planning on having this meeting at the Florida Aquarium. Club members will meet outside the aquarium at 1:00 pm. We are arranging to have a behind the scenes tour that will begin at 1:30pm sharp. After touring the aquarium, we will be meeting at a restaurant at Channelside to have lunch/dinner (depending on the time). There will be no auction or frag trades at this meeting. If the aquarium cannot have us this day (I am waiting to hear back from them), the meeting will be held at Robin's house.

November 16th: We will be having a BBQ starting at 2:00 pm at Brian Greene's house in Nokomis. Please bring frags, bathing suits and something small to go with ribs and burgers.

December 14: Deborah Albert will be hosting a holiday party for the club. The party will be starting at 2:00 pm. Wear holiday colors and bring a side dish. Everyone is asked to contribute $5.00 to help cover Deborah's costs for the party.

The club would also like to arrange a joint trip with ORCA to Sea World in the upcoming months.

Greg has volunteered to host a meeting at his house in the early spring. Either before or after the meeting the club would visit Mote Marine Lab.

Brian Greene is travelling to MACNA and will be approaching some people about coming to Tampa and speaking to TBRC.

Passionfish
09/30/2002, 03:14 PM
Just a few comments. I am requesting that people turn in their application forms with their money so we can keep a more accurate record. I will not be at the October meeting, but you can get my address from one of the other officers and mail it, or give me everything at one of the next two meetings. Regan and I are planning on having a keg at the December party, so if you want to drink something else, bring it. Also it might be good to post what you are bringing so we have a little diversity. Deborah

downdeep
10/21/2002, 06:28 PM
Everything sounds great. how is the club going to accept payment for the dues? will you take third party out of state paychecks? credit cards?? ;)
Bryan

luminary
10/21/2002, 07:15 PM
For now I think just cash and checks...not sure about out of town checks, but I don't see why not. At some point, possible credit cards (thought paypal for example), but not right off the bat.