PDA

View Full Version : new pumps

psuedopimp
07/20/2007, 09:46 PM
Hey guys, I just got permission to buy new pumps.(as long as they are not expensive). I have to rethink my flow. I have a 75 gal with mostly hair algae and red slime with a little LPS and shrooms mixed in. I don't want to rule out a few SPS in the future and since it has been about five years since I was allowed to buy new pumps I want to get decent ones. First off, Tunze and Vortech are too expensive. thats like a ferrari, and I am on a chevy budget. I was thinking two seio 620s, but then i read that anything under the 820s wouldn't be enough. What has worked for you guys?

killingseed
07/21/2007, 12:28 AM
person i am running two mj mod's and love it so far . it did take a little work but i am very happy for now. which is around 4000 GPH one is around 1500 and one is around 2500. i know my review i wasn't sure they could be ran, but i have running both now.

i would recommand 2 hydor 3 or #4's or one of each or at least one mjmod with one hydor. the reason i say try one of the hydor is you cant beat the mount that comes with them. the 3 is around 800 gph and the 4 is around 1500 GPH

beyond that i would go mag 12 closed loop.

psuedopimp
07/21/2007, 08:21 AM
are your mj mods too much for LPS? I cant imagine that much flow. Thanks for the hydor suggestion, I haven't even seen them.

killingseed
07/21/2007, 10:03 AM
i have it setup so its all indirect flow. the powerheads are on the back of my tank and i built some rocks up in the middle of my tank to redirect all the flow. i have one hammer and it sways around, a colt does the same, a leather now that does the same and the rest of what i have is like 35 differnt morphs of zoa's and they have little movement.

over all i had to move things around to and i would put anything in the path of the flow. stayvoltage was looking at it the other day i think he would agree that it look good and you can tell there is a lot of flow.

killingseed
07/21/2007, 10:08 AM
as for that hair algea my tang and turbo snail will not let anything like that grow. i get corals in from time to time covered with green hair algea and its gone in a day or two. if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have the tang maybe another wrasse or something

killingseed
07/21/2007, 10:13 AM
one last thought i didnt look like my colt coral liked it at first but after a couple days it was standing tall again. corals do need time to get used to the flow like that.

Salty Sam
07/21/2007, 12:39 PM
The Koralia pumps are hard too beat as far a water flow per cost.
A couple of 3 or 4s should work well on a 75G....the mounts are great.

mitchellmoto
07/21/2007, 01:55 PM
I have to diagree on the hydro. I bought 2 #4 and 3 #3 and I thought they were awful. Maybe they would be more at home in a smaller tank but all those in my 180 didn't put much flow, the 2 mj mods out worked all five of the others. But I do agree the mounts are great. I would personaly discourage anyone from buying those. They feel like the would put out nice flow but 6 to 8in from the pump you can't even feel it. So like I said maybe they would be better in a smaller tank but I feel there are better pumps out there. I would suggest going for the mj mods. It is a extremly eaisly mod.

Salty Sam
07/21/2007, 04:00 PM
I agree with you....not too great in a 6 foot tank....but in a 75 should work.

The MJ Modded pumps are awesome and the magnet mounts work great.

The Seios are real good as well but you need the 820 or 1100s min.

strayvoltage
07/21/2007, 10:41 PM
I did see killingseeds tank and the flow was a lot , but he did manage to aquascape it so it all worked out ok.

I put a #4 hydor in my 125 and it was knocking stuff down on the other end @ 6'. So I went down to the #1 and like mitchellmoto said the flow could not be felt even 4 or 5 " away.

The mounts are great on them and they don't look to bad.

I think how your tank is aquascaped could have a lot to do with it.
I do have a lot of rock in the tank and most of it is built up rather high. Like Sam said, flow per cost is something to keep in mind.

psuedopimp
07/23/2007, 05:05 PM
hey mitchell do you still have the pumps?

zed915
07/23/2007, 09:40 PM
Im currently running Koralia 3 pumps, for my 80 gal. I wish i had at least a 4.

psuedopimp
09/13/2007, 06:35 AM
FINALLY!! I ordered my pumps today (Shhhhh!!the wife is still sleeping, and won't know till this afternoon) I went with the two Koralia #4. I saw them in the display tank at the salty fin and thought they would work well. Between the new pumps and the meeting saturday and the football game this weekend, i can hardly sleep. Looking forward to a good time

SOULEMAN
09/13/2007, 10:13 AM
well Sam has like 8 koralia #4's at Coral Reef. And i believe they might fall under the sale items in his big sale this week. he has all stages of the koralia.
i already have most of my pumps for my new 120 at Sam's. I am gonna be running 2 tunze 6045's and 1 or 2 modded mj-12's. Yes i know i keep a lot of flow. but hey SPS love water movement....

strayvoltage
09/13/2007, 10:53 PM
I think the pumps in that 180 at salty fin are tunze and not koralia.

I think the koralia's are ok but I think they don
t have very good qualit control on them, like I said before I put a 4 on one end of my 125 and it was knocking tings down at the other end 6'away.

reeftexas
09/13/2007, 11:03 PM
Hey stayvoltage, How have you been John? My Koralis are funky.I have a#3 that moves the water pretty well.Another #3 on the other end of my 125 gal that pushes about 6 inches.I think the company is having some kind of problems with quality control or something.I've heard the same from other people with the #3 and the #4 koralias.Go figure,the price is right though. later Jeff

strayvoltage
09/14/2007, 12:06 AM
Hey Jeff, doing well thanks. Hope the same for you. I really think it all depends on the pump you get if it works or not. I do know for sure I couldn't run the #4 in my 125. But like others have said they get hardly any flow from them. The price is no doubt good, but like they say you get what you pay for. Or do you always?

killingseed
09/14/2007, 08:16 AM
well is you have some mj sitting around that sureflow is cheep and the prop is around together not much work to it. for a mj mod

Salty Sam
09/14/2007, 12:55 PM
Huh?

Salty Sam
09/14/2007, 12:56 PM
Just messing with you seed.

killingseed
09/14/2007, 01:22 PM
guess it was still early for me, hehehe sorry. was trying to say if you have a couple mj sitting around those sureflow can make it very easy to convert to high flow with little to no work to putting them together and come with a nice ball swivel for pointing them. down fall you have to using the suction cups.