PDA

View Full Version : F/S- custom 1 ton mini-split chiller

sidewinder770
07/20/2007, 09:46 AM
I can send more info on it if needed and some pics as well but I'll try to give a brief description. This is a local sale only at this time as i don't want to deal with shipping it if I don't have to. It should be available next week sometime once the tank is empty.

The chiller consists of a 1 ton chiller barrel, 9000 BTU condensing unit (the part that goes outside), thermal expansion valve, and a line set. I have 2 of these on my system but 1 is usually sufficient to cool 550 gallons of water, half of which is in a 120+ degree garage. The second one kicks on if I have all the lighting on and the temp gets above 105 (garage is probably warmer) so this will cool a large tank.

The chiller barrel itself is about 24" long and 10" in diameter. The freon comes out of the TXV into a titanium coil inside the chiller. There is no chance of rust with this setup. It's what they use for comercial lobster tanks. The water eneters and exits from a 1" union and sealed so it can be mounted in virtually any position. It comes with mounting strap and mounting bracket.

The condensing unit is about 44" wide, 10" front to back, and 20" tall. It runs on 100v power and is the only part of the system that requires power. A 15amp circuit will work just fine. when running this unit only draws about 800w of power and is VERY efficient. Several people have copied this design with great success.

It can also be used a a mini-split room A/C by simply removing the chiller tube and putting the original evaporator (like a normal A/C unit) back on. It can also heat although I have never set it up to do this. It is currently setup to run off a X-10 outlet but can be wired a few different ways. I use my Aquacontroller to control it so it doesn't come with a built in controller but will work fine with a Ranco controller as well. I also have a Ranco that I might be willing to part with if needed.

$1000 will get you everything you need including freon. It is currently configured with a 6' lineset but that can be extended to 45' if needed. You will need an A/C tech out to evac the lines and add a few more ounces of freon if you get a longer lineset but I know of a few great techs here on RC that would probably be more than willing to help out.

here is a closeup of the inputs for the chiller barrel and the TXV valve-

http://www.systemsu.com/reeftank/chiller_tube.jpg

here is a picture of the A/C cage I built showing the 2 outside units I have. Only 1 is needed for the chiller and/or room A/C-

http://www.systemsu.com/reeftank/accage.jpg

here is a picture when I setup the first barrel. The blue line you see is not for the barrel-

http://www.systemsu.com/reeftank/sump2_1.jpg

sidewinder770
07/20/2007, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10378123#post10378123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sidewinder770

The condensing unit is about 44" wide, 10" front to back, and 20" tall. It runs on 100v power and is the only part of the system that requires power. A 15amp circuit will work just fine. when running this unit only draws about 800w of power and is VERY efficient. Several people have copied this design with great success.

As some have asked it was a typo- the condensing unit is about 24" wide NOT 44" wide :) Also, it's 110v not 100v. Sorry for the confusion- not enough coffee when I typed it up I guess :).

azrednex
07/20/2007, 03:44 PM
What did they cost to build? What HP does 1 ton translate to?

sidewinder770
07/20/2007, 05:46 PM
I could be wrong but I believe 1ton= 1 HP= 12000 BTU.

Cost to build would be about-
chiller barrel- 500
A/C unit- 600
TXV- 60
line set 100-150
temp guages- 30
shipping the A/C and barrel- 100
Misc parts- 40
knowing how to put it all together and make it work right- priceless :)