PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis Set Up

Jeremy H20
07/19/2007, 11:57 PM
I want to get a reverse osmosis system installed since I am growing my tank collection. I am not too interested in setting one up myself and wanted to know if anyone had suggestion on whom I should use to purchase from and set up the unit in the Rockford area. Thank you.

RobTop
07/20/2007, 05:47 AM
Come to the August meeting and WIN ONE!!!
Otherwise I like Air Water Ice and thier Typhoon III, but it depends on the gallons you are looking for which one to get. Install is a piece of cake, we will find ya someone.

Bryan89
07/20/2007, 07:04 AM
I can help you install one. You also may want to ask RandalB as he sells them and services them.

BenjieC
07/20/2007, 07:38 AM
Of course there is always Rod-Rod's Reef.

Jeremy H20
07/20/2007, 02:55 PM
Sounds good to me. I can ask RandalB when he is on. I dont have any experience with the plumbing. I saw on online I liked with a 4 gallon tank which seemed like enough. I think it made around 30-45 gallons of water a day.

Bryan89
07/20/2007, 09:29 PM
The RO unit will stop making water as soon as the 4 gallon tank is full. Also, those setups typically do not inlude a DI resin column, which you'll need. Don't skimp on the RO/DI unit.

Jeremy H20
07/20/2007, 11:47 PM
I was just reading something about RO/DI on another forum I post on. I didnt realize there was a difference between units. I also understand the 4 gallon tank will limit my water purification amount if I dont use it.

Bryan89
07/21/2007, 09:37 AM
You could use a standard drinking water RO setup with a post filtration DI column for makeup water. There are two issues with doing so. 1. You'll only makeup say 4 gallons a a time, once the tank is full no more water. The other issue is that you will go through resin a lot faster than a specific RO/DI that makes up a larger volume per time. Drinking water RO membranes aren't as specific on filtration as some other membranes (they let more impurities through) which burns out your DI resin faster. Also, RO membranes put out bad water initially on startup, so cycling faster (4 gallons 6 times a day) will pass more impurities for the DI resin to cleanup versus making 24 gallons in one shot. DI resin is not really that expensive, so it may work well for you for the unit you were looking at.

BuckeyeFS
07/21/2007, 11:46 AM
We have for example, units specifically configured to provide RO water for drinking/residential use, and DI water for your tank. There are are fair number of misconfigured systems out there, especially on a certain auction website. Understand what you're buying before you purcahse. I'm happy to help if you have questions.

Russ @ BFS

vessxpress1
07/21/2007, 10:47 PM
I got my Typhoon III from airwaterice.com. I love it! 10 micron sediment filter, to 5 micron carbon block to 1 micron carbon block to RO membrane, through DI resin and 0 TDS out. The whole unit came pretty much hooked up and ready to go. All I had to do was hook up the supply line, pure water line and waste line to it, which required no tools. You pull back the spring-loaded connector, slip the hose in, let go and the line's installed.

The toughest part was hooking the supply line up to my old plumbing. I have a larger, steel pipe that the supplied fitting wouldn't pierce. So I had to go to the hardware store and get a larger one. Then I just had to shut off the main water supply, drill the appropriate sized hole in my water line, then screw the needle down into the hole and tighten it down on the gasket. Just remember to hook up one of the supplied ball valves in between the water line and the unit, so you can cut the water off to it easily when it's time to change filters. Changing the filters and DI is a breeze too.

I use a large 30 gallon rubbermaid tub for water storage. I just installed the float valve at the top and it works like a charm.

It also comes with a decent amount of water line for most applications and a hand held TDS meter.
Oh yeah, I saw on their site recently that now they sell better units for less than I got mine for.