PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this to my RO/DI?

Alto
07/19/2007, 03:34 PM
I actually have two RO/DI units from my past reefing in California. I am going to pick all this stuff up this weekend along with a multitude of tanks and all my wood working tools... anyway all that aside, Can I replace the membrane and filter media, and DI resin in my bargin units (I got them off ebay years ago) with like Spectrapure membrane and filter media, and for all intents and purposes have a spectrapure unit without having to rebuy the filter housings and mounting hardware?

I hope that makes sense.

FiReC
07/19/2007, 04:17 PM
alot of ro/di housings are the same, most likely you will be able to.

AZDesertRat
07/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Yes it is possible. Most filters and housings are industry standard sizes. To really get the most bang for your buck go with a Spectrapure Spectra Select series hand tested RO membrane and the dual MaxCap DI cartridges. The combination of the guaranteed 98+% rejection rate from the membrane and the awesome performance from the Silica Buster and MaxCap cartridges really works well with our high TDS Valley water. You might need to do a little replumbing to come up with the right canister configuration but it would be worth it. Also look into doing a group buy with other locals for best pricing, it can save you quite a bit.

Alto
07/19/2007, 05:17 PM
How many orders or how much $$$ volume do you need to generate to get bulk pricing?

If I pull the DI off of the second unit can I just plumb it in behind the DI on the first unit to get a dual DI unit? I would imagine I could but I havent really ever messed with the RO/DI other then hooking it up and letting it run.

jenn_jeffery
07/19/2007, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10373876#post10373876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Alto
How many orders or how much $$$ volume do you need to generate to get bulk pricing?

send me a PM with your email, and I'll send you the last GB price sheet, also includes what the total order needs to be.

AZDesertRat
07/19/2007, 05:26 PM
If you have standard sized 10" vertical canisters no problem. Some vendors use a prefilter, 2 carbons, the membrane and a final DI. Most Spectrapure systems use a prefilter, a single high quality carbon block, membrane and DI or in the case of the MaxCap system two DI canisters. The use of two carbons is not needed since they use the very best carbon block available so you could also convert the second carbon canister to a DI if your setup is like that.

As for volume and pricing look in their Sponsors Forum for the contact name and number of who to talk to. I don't think its a big volume if I remember right. There is always someone around here needing supplies so its pretty easy to get an order together.

Alto
07/19/2007, 06:16 PM
THey are the 6 stage RO/DI 3 vertical canisters, the RO, the DI which is horizontal above the RO if I am not mistaken and a final Carbon which is horizontal above the DI.

Jenn ygpm

Kentanner11
07/19/2007, 07:34 PM
I think its the same one I saw on Ebay for 60$ that I questioned.

Alto
07/19/2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah I think that one was very similar to what I have, not exactly the same sell/"brand". But probably uses the same component pieces.

AZDesertRat
07/19/2007, 08:31 PM
You can strip a canister off of one for the final DI cartridge for the other. If you want a lot of water you can go with dual membranes for 180 GPD using both membrane housings on one unit, thats how I have mine plumbed.

918ReefCpl
07/20/2007, 01:24 AM
If anyone is doing or going to do a group buy from SpectraPure, please send us a PM/Email as we would like to get in on it...
thanks

JeffKirk
07/20/2007, 05:37 AM
I'm in the same boat!
I was wanting to wate for a month or so to let my wife's nerves stabalize a bit, but if it will save enough $$ on the group buy I'm in.

I was looking @ the same setup Desart Rat is talking about, it looks like the way to go. I have a soft water sys. w/ a 15 gpd R/O under the sink. I was going to move up to 25-50gpd membrane & the Max Cap DI. I like the built in, dual TDS so you can use non color changing resin.
I'm also looking @ getting an ATO witch I need ASAP.

PM me & I'll see if I can get in on this one.

P.S. No promises, after building this tank & buying a new camera (without her blessing) Me & the dog are about to trade places. LOL

918ReefCpl
07/20/2007, 01:56 PM
I know where your coming from...luckily my dogs get the huge family room to call their own so at least i'm not out in the yard yet....We're looking at the MaxCap 90 unit if we can get a group buy going...

buffalobunch
07/20/2007, 02:00 PM
918ReefCpl you've got pm