PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up for a DIY Project?? A Beckett-Style skimmer...

Mr James
07/18/2007, 03:50 PM
I posted this over in my old reef club forum (Florida Panhandle Reef Club) , but got to thinking that the distance may inhibit the cost effectiveness. So, how about we do it here in the great northern states??

Would anyone be interested in doing some DIY skimmers/CR's/fluidized filters, basically anything made out of acrylic?? I am going to cut some pieces to make my own skimmer, just to see how it turns out. I am going to model it after the only skimmer I have really ever used, the MRC (Beckett-style) skimmer.

Anybody interested?? If so, this machine can make flanges, drill the holes and shape them.

Mattewell
07/26/2007, 02:12 PM
I tried making a fluidized bed filter and a protein skimmer out of some pvc once.... Neither quite worked the way I wanted them too and having a clear tube would have been great for fine tuning. Do you have access to clear acrylic tubing? I haven't really had much experience in DIY but Id like to create some of my own stuff. How expensive is the acrylic? Id also be interested in creating an acrylic hang on tank refugium.

Mr James
07/27/2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, I have access to acrylic tubing, but not in large quantities, which allows for lower costs. If I did get the acrylic cylinders, they would most likely be from usplastics.com... I may still look intio this, but it is kind of on the back burner at the moment.