PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need referral for 4/5 star hotel !

Doglover_50
07/17/2007, 11:22 PM
Looking for something with a room $200. or less in the valley. Doesn't have to be splendor--but it wouldn't hurt. :cool:

Main criteria is luxury--any size hotel will do. I'm reading great things about Royal Palms Resort.

Other ideas? Is the Phoenician work it, or all hype?
talk to me, reefers.................

azmorpheus
07/17/2007, 11:54 PM
The Phoenician is nice, also the Biltmore. A nice one I like because its kind of out there and the area is very nice is the Four Seasons Troon. Check out Trip advisor for reviews and pictures.

Stirfry001
07/18/2007, 12:02 AM
The Pointe South Mountain is awesome. They have a really nice pool/water park and it is built up against South Mountain.
http://www.pointesouthmtn.com/resort_facts.htm

dream54ing
07/18/2007, 12:07 AM
i recommend the biltmore....cause we redesigned their lobby...hehe
or valley ho. never been there, but it looks pretty cool...

we're also working on pointe south mt. resort, but dont like it. currently we are designing more bldgs to the resort....personally i think it looks like crap...

Warmart
07/18/2007, 12:19 AM
Valley Ho is nice, if you're into a retro type of feel. The Sanctuary too, but probably over $200. Also check out Scottsdale Plaza, The Buttes or The Boulders.

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 12:57 AM
Will start to check these. South mountain is totally cool, but for families and play. Been there twice and enjoyed it, but rooms are definitely worn (understandably with a water park) and for this particular stay, I'm hoping for something quieter and more up-scale. Not worn--like my house. ;-)

Reef-o-Roni
07/18/2007, 01:04 AM
pointe tapiteo is nice too.

paljets
07/18/2007, 01:10 AM
I've found that the girl usually doesn't mind the Motel6 down the road, after all, I'm only paying for the hour right? :)

j/k

The Phoenician is nice.. But I think it's more then $200.. It's more snooty than anything.

The Valleyho is definatly nice too tho..

Too bad we don't have this here...
http://www.sybaris.com/index.asp

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 01:15 AM
glad to hear you are supporting the local economy, paul! (and I don't mean the hotel!)

paljets
07/18/2007, 01:21 AM
Someone's gotta do it :)

Just kidding.. I would never...

Although.... :)

Nah :)

--paul

Stirfry001
07/18/2007, 01:35 AM
I know you wanted to stay cheap but this one might be what you are looking for.
http://www.burj-al-arab.com/
Rooms starting at $2k a night :)

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 01:35 AM
sweet--I'll just sell some frags! and my car

sir_dudeguy
07/18/2007, 01:37 AM
I like the pointe hilton at tapatillo (cant spell it) cliffs. Not sure where you're looking to go, and that place is a ways (from mesa anyways :) ) but its pretty cool there. Always packed during the summers when we've gone...but the pool is great :) Actually i think there are a few different pools...

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 01:39 AM
Hey--how do I edit my signature so the link I added is active, or whatever the word is so people can just click on it?

mrapisura
07/18/2007, 01:50 AM
Tempe Buttes Resort is nice. I took my wife there for our honeymoon one year. Cost will be less this time of year. There are pools with a waterslide for the kids, and spa tubs built into the mountain side. There is a really nice restaurant, Top of the Rock, which has a view of Phoenix. The food was expensive, but it was worth it.

sir_dudeguy
07/18/2007, 02:29 AM
did you put [ u r l ] link here [ / u r l ]? Dont put the spaces.. i just did that so it wouldnt recognize mine as a link lol.

Westy82
07/18/2007, 02:30 AM
what about the mandrian? never been but it used to be the james hotel.

dream54ing
07/18/2007, 02:30 AM
can you add www. on it

dream54ing
07/18/2007, 02:31 AM
nevermind....

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 03:07 AM
url procedure no worky?

a&cbowman
07/18/2007, 09:36 AM
The hyatt in scottsdale is nice. I have stayed at the buttes and i think that the hyatt is nicer than the buttes. I havent stayed at the phoenician but hear it is nice. the rooms at they hyatt are also i think about 200. They have a nice pool, actually they have 10, with a slide. heres the link: http://scottsdale.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Stirfry001
07/18/2007, 09:42 AM
I second the mandria also. Very nice hotel.

Che's DW
07/18/2007, 12:04 PM
I've stayed at the Biltmore and personally think it's overrated. Sure, it's a Phoenix institution, but the rooms are not all that.

My personal vote would be Sanctuary, Royal Palms, the Phoenician, or Camelback Inn.

Alto
07/18/2007, 12:19 PM
I worked at the Scottsdale Fairmont Princess Resort for a year in their 5 diamond restaurant Marquesa. I never actually got to see any of the rooms but the place is very nice, and right around the price range you're looking at. They have about 5 restaruants on property, tennis courts, a golf course, swimming, fishing pond for the kids etc.

AZReefDiva
07/18/2007, 12:57 PM
Some hotels and resorts here will give special rates to Arizona residents in the summer (because it's their slow season, and because we need some sort of reward for enduring the summers here!). Call some of the places you're interested in and see what they're rates are. Usually you'll have better luck if you call the hotel's local number directly and not go through their 1-800 reservations number.

SunDevil95
07/18/2007, 01:31 PM
My sister works for Starwood hotels (Seattle, WA), and was staying down in the Phoenician for a conference... so my son and I went poolside for a few days when she was in her conference. I've been there for conferences myself, but when you're not walking with a big group, and treated as a guest, I have to say it was a different experience. "Hello, Sir" with eye-contact everywhere type of treatment from desk attendants, to maids, to janitors even!. Rock-star! It was nice and quiet and if you're a golfer, they have a 27hole course (3-9's) that is pretty cool... and I think it's only $50/person if someone is staying there. It's located close to Fashion Square Mall and all of the Scottsdale nightlife. Her room was comped so I didn't know the price, but I would expect (summer is slow season) that it's about $200.

I've had rooms at the Pointe before in the past. They're great, and I would agree Tapatio or South Mtn over Squw Peak (Piestewa Peak?) location. South Mtn. has a great slide waterpark, and Tapatio feels as if you (strangely) in another state (if you're used to the flat valley) and (might) have a float moat pool. I KNOW I've seen billboards for Tapatio for $99/day (Sun-Thurs I think) and So. Mtn for $129 (because of the waterpark I'm sure). There's not much nightlife super close but if you're from Flag I'm assuming you'll have transportation.

The Hyatt Scottsdale is very nice... conference there, but I don't know the rooms or rates. Nightlife and shopping (Fashion Square) is about the same distance as the Phoenician.

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 04:53 PM
I've opted for an apparent small gem in the desert--Royal Palms Resort and Spa.

Gotta love those summer rates!

Will keep everyone posted.

vanmle
07/18/2007, 04:54 PM
I love the Royal Palms also.

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 06:07 PM
van, I went with a montavista room--only 20 or 30 bucks more than the base room.