PDA

View Full Version : OT: Move to Colorado?

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 09:09 PM
Ok so I decided on my treck to work this morning that I just cant take AZ anymore, and there is nothing to tie me down here, well except for FRAG :( I miss my hometown in TX, small, fresh,simple, and green, so while TX is always a possibility I am thinking something a bit closer to my fam. here in Phx. I was wondering if anyone has ever lived in Colorado, visited, or have relatives that might live there? Just info on any towns that are nice and not packed like AZ is, oh and most importantly does the town have a LFS? :D Im not taking off that soon, but I hope early next year..... maybe earlier lol depending on how fed up I get. Anyways thanks in advance.

Stirfry001
07/17/2007, 10:05 PM
No more Humbug Cove..........

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 10:10 PM
Its getting stupid out there. We got pulled over 4 times on the water last weekend for nothing. LAME. Who wants to take a $60,000 boat out there for morons to put dings in it lol. Plus its the mans boat and dont think he is goin with me anyways. :D

jord23
07/17/2007, 10:10 PM
That place is where i was concieved?

Westy82
07/17/2007, 10:16 PM
id have to agree the population out at humbug is starting to get more stupid and careless with their boats.

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 10:18 PM
LMAO! Jord

Yea westy just not fun like it used to be. We get there by 8, and already too busy to board. lol I am so set on getting outa here lol.

Westy82
07/17/2007, 10:24 PM
all that happen last weekend? i didnt make it out there that weekend.

best part to is when its busy you have people getting their boats ready down on the launch ramp while people wait to launch. just think there are more less experienced boaters going out there. wish az made everyone take a boating class and have all boaters licensed to help control all this.

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 10:51 PM
Yea, it sucked big time. We even had a couple kids with us, and didnt even go near humbug, just boarded (rather tried to). Cops kept asking us if we had weed on board. We had our boxer Byerly and they said they wanted to search the boat but didnt since we had the dog. Just BS, you drive into humbug and 1/2 the people are sparkin up. Just dont know what the issue was. I assume they were watchin us since we "dont see" the no wake zones all the time. Where ever there is good water is where we will be. Worth the ticket lol.

As far as the ramp ITS SOOO FUNNY! I hop in my truck and in about a min. the boats in the water. I mean its not really hard. And you see all the wives trying to back the trailers up and the hubbys holding onto the dock SCREAMING at their wives. Too funny.

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 10:52 PM
Ok so back to Colorado lol

Westy82
07/17/2007, 10:53 PM
yeah the cops out there are more interested if you have weed on board rather than finding a drunk boater.

about the ramp i could probably sit there for hours and laugh at all the people who take 30 mins to pull their boat out of the water. just like you it takes me 2 mins to put the boat in and pull it out. defintely not that hard. i think all boaters need a class out there or something to help educate the less educated.

Westy82
07/17/2007, 10:54 PM
sorry for getting you off topic. i apologize

Helfrich’s Chic
07/17/2007, 10:55 PM
fo sho. But it is funny to watch.

EvilE
07/17/2007, 11:08 PM
I HATE Phoenix. It is the city with no soul. Crime is out of control (due mainly to our proximity to the border), the ungodly heat, lack of public transportation--you have to drive a million miles to get anywhere--I hate it. I have lived here 21 years now, and I don't know how many more of these ridiculous summers I can take......

Kentanner11
07/17/2007, 11:10 PM
Come to Tucson!!!

EvilE
07/17/2007, 11:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10361942#post10361942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
Come to Tucson!!! I want to move to Oregon or southern Washington. My brother lives in Portland---I LOVE it there. Vancouver Washington is right near Portland, and more affordable, and nice, so Vancouver is where I want to go..... just need to get my ducks in row first.

EvilE
07/17/2007, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10361804#post10361804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Helfrich’s Chic
Ok so back to Colorado lol I lived in Denver for 12 years--It is nice there! Winters can be rough, but it is nice. My sister and some other family still live there.......

Kentanner11
07/17/2007, 11:17 PM
I am more of a Seattle Washington person. Or Where ever it rains like atleast 2 a month.

moore_rb
07/17/2007, 11:25 PM
Lived/worked in Colorado (Glenwood Springs) for a summer during college. Awesome, but expensive......

Nowadays, the traffic in most towns is brutal (skiers keep it busy all winter, tourists all summer)

But man oh man it's beautiful up there.

pc1blues
07/18/2007, 12:08 AM
Rember the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Having a daughter and son-in-law in the Navy they have been stationed all over the US. They have found that there are plus and minus in every place that they have been. They are currently stationed in Memphis and sure it is a lot smaller than here but then they complain that there is nothing to do. We went to the big mid states fair there last year with them and it took us all of about 30 minutes to see everything. Heck the headliner was Paula Dean from the cooking network was there big star. The big exhibit was by the post office and there priority mail packages. No I am not kidding. I talk to my daughter and the humidity is brutal. Around 90 degress and almost that much humidity. They lived for a while in Jacksonville Fl. Again humidity and the fires were nasty. Dallas Tx. again not great in the summer and then my daughter was always scared about the tornados. Columbus Ohio. Oh thats super. Snow sleet and ice for the winters. Hot and humid in the summers. San Diego. Think Phoenix trafic is bad and the cost of living makes it almost impossible to live. Yes we complain about our summers but why do you think all those people from up north and back east spend their winters here. Because they are griping about how they are not going to spend another winter in xyz place where they have to shovel snow all winter. So again the grass looks greener but usually it is the same old grass weather you are sparking it up or just mowing it.

aztbs
07/18/2007, 12:14 AM
Some AZ-native friends of ours just moved to Aurora, CO (outside of Denver) and they are happy there.

I have lived in many states in several areas of the country, and I like it here best. My home town of Chicago is a fantastic place to visit and I love to spend some time there every year. (good sailing too!) But any place is nice when you visit, I'd never live there again.

Crime, traffic, politics, bad neighbors, attitude, stupidity - can't escape it unless you want to be a hermit and build your own island out of milk jugs and float away. lol But if you feel a connection to the place you live, you'll be happy anyway. I hope you find what you are searching for!

kirstenk
07/18/2007, 01:23 AM
Aurora is outside of Denver like Glendale is outside of Phoenix. One big metro area.

I lived in Denver Metro for 14 years. I had a sales job where I travelled the whole state. Ya don't want to live anywhere in Southeast Colorado.

Denver is too big and too much snow but good reefers there and they have a good size forum on RC.

Colorado Springs might be more to your liking size wise (smaller than Denver but still have everything) but they still get a lot of snow.

If I were to move back to Colorado I would look very hard at Grand Junction. Smaller, much less snow but still very close to Aspen/the mountains. You would go thru Glenwood Springs to get to Aspen.

kirstenk
07/18/2007, 01:27 AM
Look into Albuquerque, NM.

random_ryan
07/18/2007, 01:32 AM
MY home state. I lived in albuquerque for ever. its the land of entrapment. not enchantment. I was born and raised in new mexico. is a small city but just as much crime. I hate it here. thou I would never go back to new mexico. and your lucky if anyone knows anything about salt water there is a small group of people who do. my buddy told me the prices and I just about chooked.

30reef
07/18/2007, 02:32 AM
I may someday move back to SoCal. I don't mind spending $8 to drive in the Fastrak lanes daily or the traffic. I miss the flora and fauna of SoCal, I'm a palm tree connoiseur and I gave up my collection of about 100 trees when I moved here to Phoenix.

Speak of the devil, My wife and I are taking the motorhome to Cosa Mesa this weekend to go to the marketplace at the fairgrounds. (same place as reefapallooza) What better way to use 80 gallons of gas.

Party on.

Helfrich’s Chic
07/18/2007, 09:23 AM
Oh its not the heat I hate, its the people (no offence lol). So rude and just plain mean. I mean where I live now is a very nice part of phoenix, out by the lake, and 2-10 acre homes. Were on 2 acres and about a month ago now our neighbor tried to kill himself and his family including his 16yr old daughter. Was on the news and all. You should have seen SWAT and their robots in our friggin front yard. was nuts!

I mean sure crime might be everywhere, but I remember living in TX, you put on your blinker, they let you over, if your walking into a store a guy would wait and open doors for ladies. I mean maybe I am just aksking to much lol to find somewhere to live where people treat each other decent. Ya know a "hello hows it goin", or pull over when you see someone with a blow-out. Thats the really crapy thing.... I used to stop for people, say on the freeway, if they were stranded, but had a VERY bad experience and end up pulling my 45 out from under my seat. That wasnt the first time I had to do that either. I mean SERIOUSLY how bad is that! People who even TRY to help and be nice get screwed, so I totally understand eh, why be nice.

I am not set on CO. I would LOVE to move to Cali but dont want the pressure of cost of living. I am perfectly fine with a small town, and even looked at Sedona and Flag, but homes there are way to pricey for me. I dont plan to buy a house just yet, I figure its a smart move to rent for a couple years to make sure I like the location and such before I do anything else.

Like I said I just need a break from AZ. I will likely be back but for a year or two Ijust gotta get outa here lol. I will look into Grand Junction, and also looking into maybe Utah. Not a huge fan of snow, so I am trying to stay where it doesnt get 30ft a year lol. If I had my choice I would move to Monterey CA. My dad was born there and says its amazing, but also that its nearly impossible to get work and afford to live there. :(

Phxkeller
07/18/2007, 10:23 AM
I'm a big fan of durango and pagosa springs. Bigger than flag with the same feeling I think. If you want larger there is always Colorado springs is always worth a visit!

I love the summers, winters are not to bad but you are only 8 hrs from phx if you'd like to make the FRAG meeting once in awhile :)

My plan is to retire up there .. But I have another 10-15years to work.

aztbs
07/18/2007, 02:23 PM
It is funny how different people's experience can be in the same place. I absolutely love my neighbors, they are all the most friendly and helpful people. I was so miserable in TX and the attitude that I got from them, and I feared for my life every time I got in the car!
If you think the traffic is bad here, just go commute in Dallas for a few days! lol And don't even think about the rural areas, where a tractor will pull on to the road out of no where, skip over a dead armadillo and come straight for you!

Maine is a real nice place to live. You can't understand a word they say, but the people are downright friendly. :)

Helfrich’s Chic
07/18/2007, 02:35 PM
Well I have been looking at CO. because of just that, the drive wouldnt be that bad. I have fam here and sister had a baby so wouldnt want to move too far. I wouldnt treck here every meeting lol but it would be cool to come down to FRAG. I also am looking at Cedar City Utah. Seems nice. Ah well. We will see what happens lol.

kirstenk
07/18/2007, 02:51 PM
Beautiful place but you won't find work in Pagosa Springs.

miwoodar
07/18/2007, 02:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10362546#post10362546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kirstenk
Aurora is outside of Denver like Glendale is outside of Phoenix. One big metro area.

I lived in Denver Metro for 14 years. I had a sales job where I travelled the whole state. Ya don't want to live anywhere in Southeast Colorado.

Denver is too big and too much snow but good reefers there and they have a good size forum on RC.

Colorado Springs might be more to your liking size wise (smaller than Denver but still have everything) but they still get a lot of snow.

If I were to move back to Colorado I would look very hard at Grand Junction. Smaller, much less snow but still very close to Aspen/the mountains. You would go thru Glenwood Springs to get to Aspen.

I've lived in Denver for 6 years and love it. People say the winters are cold but I tend to disagree. Yes we have cold days but we also get a lot of 60 degree fully sunny days in the winter months (we get 300 days of sunshine a year). The mountains are much colder and get a LOT more snow than anything to the east of the mountains (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs are all east). Boulder and Fort Collins are cool college towns but are expensive. The median home price in Denver is ~$250k. Decent places can be had in the $200k range though. We also have some great LFS's. The average price for my SPS frags is less than $15.

As the saying goes around here, 'people move to Colorado for the skiing but stay for the summers'. The summers are even better than the winters...

slowradio
07/18/2007, 03:06 PM
just a shot in the dark here, but have you considered moving outside the u.s.?

Helfrich’s Chic
07/18/2007, 03:43 PM
No way lol. The goal is to try a new place and still be somewhat close to my fam. here in Phoenix.

slowradio
07/18/2007, 04:25 PM
just a thought, talk about greener grass!:lol:

gillies
07/18/2007, 04:48 PM
Pagosa Springs = Retirement.

badfish
07/18/2007, 04:51 PM
My girl and I both want to move to Anchorage, AK. Talk about friendly people. There is so much to do there. I have talked to a few RC members from there and they have a pretty decent reef scene.

oct2274
07/18/2007, 07:08 PM
if i had any one place that I could pick to live in the continental US it would be in colorado anywhere by the mountains. I love both Denver and Colorado Springs and probably anywhere else where the mountains are close by! Winters are very mild compared to most places that get snow.

Alto
07/18/2007, 07:53 PM
One of my wifes best friends and his partner are planning to move to CO when they can afford to. They just got back from a 10 day visit to his family and that sealed the deal. They will still probably be here another year as they have a town home here they would have to sell, and right now they would take a hit on it, but they are going.

I have only just driven through it, and it was beautiful country.

I dont much mind the people here, I keep to myself and so I suppose I am probably one of those @$$ holes you were mentioning... I never pull over to help people, I lived in California for too long lol. You'll get robbed or killed doing that in Cali, besides thats what AAA is for. Though I will hold a door for someone, and let people merge in traffic.

random_ryan
07/18/2007, 07:58 PM
I love Colorado. I lived in Madrid . for 6 yrs growing up. I still remember the bears and deer. my favorite memory was when this bear climbed in my dads jeep. man that was the funniest thing I ever saw. I saw ET for the first time in Madrid. also star wars. My first fishing expedition was in a puddle one winter LoL till the hook ended up in my back. oh and my uncle shade tree owned the only junk yard there at the time. oh the memorizes. I think I am gonna go on vacation there. wonder if they still have the old theater? hmm

EvilE
07/18/2007, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10367500#post10367500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by random_ryan
I love Colorado. I lived in Madrid . for 6 yrs growing up. I still remember the bears and deer. my favorite memory was when this bear climbed in my dads jeep. man that was the funniest thing I ever saw. I saw ET for the first time in Madrid. also star wars. My first fishing expedition was in a puddle one winter LoL till the hook ended up in my back. oh and my uncle shade tree owned the only junk yard there at the time. oh the memorizes. I think I am gonna go on vacation there. wonder if they still have the old theater? hmm Madrid is in Spain :rolleyes: :rolleye1:

random_ryan
07/18/2007, 08:33 PM
madrid is a small town colorado.
madrid new mexico is also a small town.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Madrid,+CO,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

and here's how to get from glendale az to madrid CO
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=m4ZeC4eEaUie4RjX08DrqrX2p7FSW5aANEGdGAAxux6%252b5q6sw5sQu8fZeTV%252bZZaRZ2hu1e3e8f2eAiAIINvHRX9al aiT6ts0r0prQs7j%252b%252be%252b5k3EtBAlPv%252fTkJuREb6b3yTJR6hGH8ALQLDJac2sQbs7hOtny340Isf2gAeah1yCk NHWADkFL6LKEey%252bKncm&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=glendale&1s=az&1z=&panelbtn=1&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=oIK3V%252fp6wPwBDcwukOh%252bzw%253d%253d&2g=esJ8KJuJE8xToKY9Wg7fZw%253d%253d&2pl=&2v=CITY&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Madrid&2s=CO&2z=
:) :p :D :cool: :rollface: :strooper: :bum:

random_ryan
07/18/2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.answers.com/topic/madrid-disambiguation

JMCAquarium
07/21/2007, 12:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10361933#post10361933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
I HATE Phoenix. It is the city with no soul. Crime is out of control (due mainly to our proximity to the border), the ungodly heat, lack of public transportation--you have to drive a million miles to get anywhere--I hate it. I have lived here 21 years now, and I don't know how many more of these ridiculous summers I can take......

AHMEN !!!! This place sucks ....yet I stay I think the heat has messed with my head alittle :eek2:

EvilE
07/21/2007, 01:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10383591#post10383591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JMCAquarium
AHMEN !!!! This place sucks ....yet I stay I think the heat has messed with my head alittle :eek2: :D I feel your pain homie!!!!;)

pupfish
07/21/2007, 07:41 AM
My bro' just moved from Colorado Springs after living there for about 10 years. They get snow in the night and then barbeque in the afternoon. Just one of those weird places climate-wise. And its weird in other ways. Really being an Uber Fundamentalist helps. I guess James Dobson and a whole host of those folks have their headquarters there. (Along with Centcom and the button to Thee Bomb...oh, great, now I'm scaring myself). To counterbalance, there's some little kooky town next to Co. Springs (can't think of the name...help?). They have all this new age stuff, a little wicca action - even my fundamentalist dad found it fun wandering around there. Downside - SW store selection sucks in the area, at least according to my brother.