PDA

View Full Version : plumbing 101 question

reefrandy
07/17/2007, 08:23 PM
i am plumbing a 90 gal and have a cl for circ, my return from the sump/fuge is going through the chiller and then back . my question is there a rule of thumb on running return via components, i know you lose head pressure but otherwise you have 6 seperate pumps (exageration) i will have 1 pump for cl 1 for return, 1 for phosban, 1 for skimmer what have i missed? thanks for the help I like doing things once or 5x

jerryz
07/17/2007, 09:52 PM
Not sure I even understand the question? can you provide a diagram of what you are thinking?

CalvinC4S
07/18/2007, 05:48 AM
I would use a separate pump for everything.

Run your return through the chiller.

Use factory recommend/suppled pump on skimmer.

Use a flow rated pump on the closed loop.

Use a small pump to circulate your GFO.

People do share pumps on some of these items, but in my opinion it makes it harder to tune and keep consistency.

reefrandy
07/18/2007, 10:03 AM
thanks for the reply, my question was can you combine skimmer/chillier/etc. on the same pump as you end up with 1 pump for each item thx

Alto
07/18/2007, 12:25 PM
I would leave the skimmer on its own pump but you can easily T off the main line to run the chiller(if your return pump is rated at more GPH then the chiller can handle) or just run the whole output through the chiller.

I plumbed a clients tank so that UV, and chiller T'ed off the main line and then just ran back into the sump. Which worked for his situation. The chiller he had wouldnt have taken the close to 2500 gph produced by his main return pump as the input and output were both only 5/8" barbed fittings.

senatormoe31
07/19/2007, 12:28 AM
I got some thoughts

senatormoe31
07/19/2007, 12:33 AM
First, how many holes do you have in the tank if any.
Second, when you run too many things in line you end up having to add flow anyway, and that means pumps or powerheads.
Third, you want some redundancy, meaning if everything is running on 1 pump, what happens if........??????
See what i mean?

senatormoe31
07/19/2007, 12:36 AM
First, how many holes do you have in the tank if any.
Second, when you run too many things in line you end up having to add flow anyway, and that means pumps or powerheads.
Third, you want some redundancy, meaning if everything is running on 1 pump, what happens if........??????
See what i mean?
I know you are running a closed and an open loop, but think it through, that's all
your sump return might be useless for flow if it runs too many components.