PDA

View Full Version : Who runs Activated Carbon???

jpeggerling
07/16/2007, 09:52 PM
I have a 20 gallon AGA with a 10 gallon fuge. I have been thinking about running cabon in my tank. Who else is running carbon? Have you noticed a difference since you started running it. I have all softies/LPS in my tank. I just trying to clear up my water. I dont have a whole lot of room, would it be ok to add it to my drain side of my fuge in a filter sock? I really dont know a whole lot about using cabon. What are the PROs?

Doglover_50
07/16/2007, 09:58 PM
I use it in my nanos AND my 70g tank. It's one of the 3 ways to filter---chemical; in addition to biological (rock, sponges, etc...) and mechanical (floss, sponge).

In addition to your skimming, if you do.

you could get a little bag of purigen--i think would take up a little less space than carbon.

918ReefCpl
07/16/2007, 10:00 PM
I recently tried a test run of 1 cup of Kent Activated carbon in my 125's canister filter using a filter bag...So far no problems to report...Reading about the subject some say that it can remove trace elements long after it becomes plugged with organics. Kent says to use it only 2 days a month then remove it. I also have a 55 where I've used the aquaclear 300 carbon continuously w/o problems for years and swap the carbon out every other month with a new pack (rinsed in freshwater to get the dust out) but that gets expensive so I may switch over to the fill-your-own bags and use the Kent Carbon from now on in that tank too...As long as you have water flow thru/around it (carbon bag) you should be ok and get the benefits. Does your drain have a pre-filter on it to catch the big stuff before it hits your filter sock? Maybe the best bet would be to place it on the return sump side prior to your return pump or ontop of your bubble trap foam causing the water to have to pass thru it on the way thru the sump...

reefnetworth
07/16/2007, 10:01 PM
mainly for NH3/NH4 removal, but also clarifies and polishes water to a degree. on a nano set-up such as yours, RR, LS, and Macro Algae in the sump/refuge, along with 10% weeklywater changes you shouldnt need it. if you would like more info on GAC, goto the "Reef Chemistry" Forum. :)
JDM :cool:

jpeggerling
07/16/2007, 10:05 PM
I dont use any type of pre-filters at all. No sponges or floss. So the trick is to have good flow through it?

EvilE
07/16/2007, 10:28 PM
I run it in my canister filter