PDA

View Full Version : Your tanks

Preds
09/24/2002, 07:22 PM
As an extension of a question I asked on another thread, what are all your seahorse set-ups like? What volume, what height, how many horses etc etc? Is there anything a newcomer (or someone in the first stages of interest, in my case) should look out for? Any general rules to apply? Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be an avalanche of responses. ;)

Will
09/24/2002, 08:10 PM
look down for my tank info. for livestock info, click here (http://us.f400.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?.rand=7p6jiadpfe37k). it's the one on the bottom..
fourhand2

09/29/2002, 08:27 PM
Theres a lot to look for when you're starting out.

First decide if you want dwarfs or larger horses. Dwarfs only eat live bbs but they can be kept in a very small tank (5 gallons is great) and their fry are very easy to raise. I have only kept the larger species.

Next, look for a tank that is three times the adult height of the horse that you want. They need that large a water column for mating rituals.

The best bet is captive bred seahorses. You get them much younger with much less stress therefore they eat frozen foods already and live longer. IF you go with WC try and make sure you get one from reputable store.

Thats just the beginning, but its easier if you ask more specific questions!

Amanda

Preds
09/30/2002, 04:17 AM
I've always been most interested in H. kuda, the fact that dwarfs can be stung by hydroids on LR puts me off them a bit. Is LR a good choice of filtration for them? What in people's opinions would be the optimum sized tank for kudas? What's the best set-up - should I go for a sump with LR too, or is it not really necessary?

Will
09/30/2002, 06:40 AM
care for kuda is the same as that of erectus. check out some other threads (those with titles like "new to seahorses" or "caring for seahorses") for good info.
fourhand2