PDA

View Full Version : Damage Report from broken A/C unit

Dirt4dinner
07/14/2007, 01:56 PM
Well, the A/C was totally off for about 36 hours, and then on the fritz for another 48 hours. So the house was all over the place between 75 and 97. My fish are all fine, thank goodness. Bam Bam the mantis shrimp is still kickin' also.

My losses included my small frog spawn, small hammer, and small trumpet and most of my pulsing xenia. The xenia I don't mind, it will grow back because a few isolated pieces seem to be ok. There is still an ounce of hope for the big leather...it's very pale and slumped over...but I think there is some very minor polyp extension.

So...now my request. If anyone has small frags of hammer, frog spawn, or torch corals I would love to get some more. I am so bummed...LPS corals are BY FAR my favorite, and I just lost a majority of mine. All my larger LPS corals seem to be ok. A couple different brain corals, a large Frogspawn, and a small blasto.

Any body willing to part with a few LPS corals please let me know. Thanks!

Also a big thanks to everyone who offered to help out in our time of need...A/C being broken made for a long week!

EvilE
07/14/2007, 02:44 PM
dang man, sorry about that----I wish I had something to frag out to you, but I don't, unless you want some shrooms

aztbs
07/14/2007, 02:46 PM
I am sure I have some frags for you. I'll trade you for a generator ;)

Tiff

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 02:46 PM
wow that stinks!

Dirt4dinner
07/14/2007, 02:51 PM
Tiff,
You have a deal....I'll even delivered said generator! ....sorry I still have it. :)

tmorey
07/14/2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your A/C problem. Glad to hear it wasn't a complete disaster.

Take care, Tracy

EvilE
07/14/2007, 06:53 PM
Tyler, did you get a new AC unit, or did the crappy Home Warranty company bandaid it up??

Dirt4dinner
07/14/2007, 07:00 PM
Band-Aid so far, but the "crappy" warranty company just saved me about $500 out of pocket. And if the band-aid doesn't work...they will save me even more!

EvilE
07/14/2007, 07:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10341364#post10341364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dirt4dinner
Band-Aid so far, but the "crappy" warranty company just saved me about $500 out of pocket. And if the band-aid doesn't work...they will save me even more! Naw man, I have dealt with those home warranty companies many many times--mostly AC related--they are a joke. They "fix" stuff on their time, and they do it as inexpensively as they can--- they use the cheapest components etc.. You'll come to a point where you are sick and tired of them messin ya around trust me.

Dirt4dinner
07/14/2007, 07:45 PM
All I know is that so far they have gone along with whatever the repair company has said (and the guy they hired doesn't work with them that often, so I know he isn't getting pushed around by them). I also know that there is NO way I could have barely afforded doing what they have already done, let alone something more permanent...or more drastic.

I am sure there are bad warranty companies out there...but other than one lady that was rude on the phone, everything else with Service One has gone smoothly over the past 2 years of working with them. I have spent roughly $30/ month and they have bought me a really nice stainless steel dishwasher, a new garbage disposal, and have had my A/C worked on about 10 times now. I don't see anyplace to complain about them.

EvilE
07/14/2007, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10341494#post10341494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dirt4dinner
All I know is that so far they have gone along with whatever the repair company has said (and the guy they hired doesn't work with them that often, so I know he isn't getting pushed around by them). I also know that there is NO way I could have barely afforded doing what they have already done, let alone something more permanent...or more drastic.

I am sure there are bad warranty companies out there...but other than one lady that was rude on the phone, everything else with Service One has gone smoothly over the past 2 years of working with them. I have spent roughly $30/ month and they have bought me a really nice stainless steel dishwasher, a new garbage disposal, and have had my A/C worked on about 10 times now. I don't see anyplace to complain about them. HA!!! I had Service One--thought they were good also, until my air went out last year. You said you have had your air worked on 10 times--TEN TIMES!!!!! That says it all right there! Joke. I ended up getting so frustrated last year with having no AC that I bought a portable unit on wheels, just to get by. We had to practically live in our family room for 2 weeks because of their "great" services. I canceled them. I loaned some money from a family member and bought a new AC unit, nothing fancy, but good and new, and have not had a problem since.

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 09:00 PM
Yea we had them on our house, thought it would be great, um no. called them 5 times came out 3 times, all to say it would be extra or what we had didnt cover it.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 09:03 PM
wow.

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 09:11 PM
lol!

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 09:26 PM
well just to let you know even gap coverages stink

Dirt4dinner
07/14/2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe I am just lucky. I can't really get mad at them for the repair guy having a miserable time trouble shooting the problem. He doesn't work for Service One. He works for an air and heating company.

I am not expecting them to anti up for a new unit...but I sure don't mind them footing the bills for a 20 year old A/C unit.

dream54ing
07/15/2007, 12:27 AM
same problem this wk....i have first american home buyer protection. what they are putting me through, i swear its a joke. its been over a wk and they told me they are senting someone out for a 2nd opinion my ac duct repair. appt schedule for friday, dont know what happen. another appt schedule for sat, again dont know what happen. now they told me to wait till the contractor gets back to them. im guessing another wk or so.....
i was p***ed off at first, but now its just a joke to me. Im going to call the company's president to give them a piece of my mind!!!

EvilE
07/15/2007, 01:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10342267#post10342267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dirt4dinner
Maybe I am just lucky. I can't really get mad at them for the repair guy having a miserable time trouble shooting the problem. He doesn't work for Service One. He works for an air and heating company.

I am not expecting them to anti up for a new unit...but I sure don't mind them footing the bills for a 20 year old A/C unit. Hey whatever makes you happy;)

EvilE
07/15/2007, 01:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10342754#post10342754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dream54ing
same problem this wk....i have first american home buyer protection. what they are putting me through, i swear its a joke. its been over a wk and they told me they are senting someone out for a 2nd opinion my ac duct repair. appt schedule for friday, dont know what happen. another appt schedule for sat, again dont know what happen. now they told me to wait till the contractor gets back to them. im guessing another wk or so.....
i was p***ed off at first, but now its just a joke to me. Im going to call the company's president to give them a piece of my mind!!! yup-- home warranty companies are a complete joke. We had old republic first, they were the worst, then switched to service one, and they were only slightly better, we got sick and tired of the crap and band aid fixes, and told them to screw off!

elzool
07/15/2007, 02:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10344603#post10344603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
yup-- home warranty companies are a complete joke. We had old republic first, they were the worst, then switched to service one, and they were only slightly better, we got sick and tired of the crap and band aid fixes, and told them to screw off!

You should have gone to their offices in your clown gear, they'd have given you anything you wanted then. ;)

EvilE
07/15/2007, 02:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10344964#post10344964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elzool
You should have gone to their offices in your clown gear, they'd have given you anything you wanted then. ;) :D :D :lol: :lol:

Jim Cannon
07/18/2007, 12:55 PM
I have had American Home Shield since 97 when I bought this pre-owned home. For the first 5 years I never needed them. I almost cancelled. Then my compressor died. They replaced the whole unit, twice! The first one worked fine except it had this loud whistle after it shut down. Regional rep came out and said the compressor and air handler were mismatched and the whistling would go away if AHS used the same compressor manufactuer. They did and I've had no problems since. In the last 3 years I have gotten a new dishwasher, water heater, air handler motor, garbage disposal, thermostat. I have gotten all of my premium money back and some I'd say.
You complain about getting fast service. I challenge you to call AC repair in July and see how fast you get someone to your house. I tried that and it was just as long and for a heck of a lot more than $55.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Jim

Doglover_50
07/18/2007, 04:33 PM
I have had all 3 of these companies for various houses between living in FL and here. I wonder if service sucks in the valley because it is 115degrees and they are swamped. Just like our furnace service takes forever in the dead of winter. I won't give them an A for call outs in Flag or in FL, but it was acceptable.
Second--in my book, if you own an older home (>10 years), these are worth the $.
My share: in FL, my home built in 1986 I owned for 3 years-it had a major ac problem that they fixed. And a piple burst in the foundation that they had to dig up. Policy paid for itself.

My home in flag was built in 1989 and is worn in. In year one they paid 1/3 of what my reshingling cost because the home inspector was sooooooooo wrong in his inspection; in the next few years they replaced a dryer, fixed a washer, and most importantly--replaced a dead furnace. Also fixed my gas stove. I live in the country and last year my septic pump croaked--they covered quite a bit of that.
(next up should be hot water heater and/or fridge or stove)

So to me, if you expect that they will be slow (what do you expect--they reimburse low to the technicians---it's the equivalent structure to an HMO), it's nice insurance for what your insurance doesn't cover. In my view, if over time te repairs basically equal out for 500 or 600 bucks per year--it is NOT a wash. It is better, because I never worry about sh*t breaking in my house--and there is value to that peace of mind.

I suspect for those good at home repair, this equation is probably different.

Change of topic: I've often wondered for yaa'l in the heat--for backup equipment, in addition to a generator, would it be worth having a window a.c. unit to put in the tank room for circumstances like what dirt went through.

dream54ing
07/18/2007, 06:15 PM
well i just got all my duct work replaced. i guess giving the president of the company a piece of my mind helped. they gave the contractor the greenlight to do whatever it takes to make me happy. i guess its worth it, but i had to work for it...haha

EvilE
07/18/2007, 07:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10364772#post10364772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jim Cannon
I have had American Home Shield since 97 when I bought this pre-owned home. For the first 5 years I never needed them. I almost cancelled. Then my compressor died. They replaced the whole unit, twice! The first one worked fine except it had this loud whistle after it shut down. Regional rep came out and said the compressor and air handler were mismatched and the whistling would go away if AHS used the same compressor manufactuer. They did and I've had no problems since. In the last 3 years I have gotten a new dishwasher, water heater, air handler motor, garbage disposal, thermostat. I have gotten all of my premium money back and some I'd say.
You complain about getting fast service. I challenge you to call AC repair in July and see how fast you get someone to your house. I tried that and it was just as long and for a heck of a lot more than $55.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Jim I have heard that American Home shield is the best, as far as customer service.....