PDA

View Full Version : OT Freeked out dad

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:20 PM
ok so I let me son go see his other parent right. well my son got bit by a dog. I can't go to my son becouse he's in georgia . he's not up to date on his shots. I was going to do that when he came home on wendsday. I am really freeking out. is anyone an RN? or know anything about this? I asked his other parent to take him to the hospital but they are refusing. I am really getting quite upset.

FOSELONE
07/13/2007, 11:27 PM
refusing to take em to the hospital???

Kentanner11
07/13/2007, 11:28 PM
It depends on how bad he got bit, and where. Also what breed of dog and hopefully the dog has shots. This will sound extreme (and I dont know your situation but couldnt you call CPS?) Also how old is your son?

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:45 PM
My son is 13. but is LD

EvilE
07/13/2007, 11:45 PM
Was the dog owned by someone? If so, it will be quarantined for 10 days, and if not, if it was caught, it will be put down and the head sent in for rabies. It also depends on how bad the bite was---if there were puncture wounds, your son should be put on a systemic antibiotic such as augmentin (to avoid infection). It would be VERY rare and a super small like less then a half percent chance that he would contract a disease such as rabies from a dog bite. Most diseases in dogs can't be contracted by humans, good thing because I have been bitten a million times by cats and dogs (I am a Vet Tech.) My advice is not to worry, but if blood was drawn, to get him on antibiotics ASAP just to be safe and cover your bases.

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:47 PM
thier dog has all its shots.

EvilE
07/13/2007, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10337647#post10337647 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by random_ryan
thier dog has all its shots. then don't worry about anything, other then getting him on antibiotics to avoid infection (if the skin was punctured) no biggie bro!!:cool:

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:51 PM
They told me its 2 puncture wounds. I still wanted him taken to the hospital to get it checked out. they are refusing. they are saying small puncture wounds but , i am still worried. this is the reason I never let my son go with his other parent. I feel the other parent is wreckless and careless. the other parent knew the dog would bite strangers and yet the other parent let the dog be around my son.

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:52 PM
grrrrr

Kentanner11
07/13/2007, 11:53 PM
If the skin was punctured but not very badly ie smaller than a toothpick wide and not deep, just have the other parent or your son wash it really really well, and as long as it doesnt get puffy, or swollen he could last till wednesday.

EvilE
07/13/2007, 11:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10337678#post10337678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by random_ryan
They told me its 2 puncture wounds. I still wanted him taken to the hospital to get it checked out. they are refusing. they are saying small puncture wounds but , i am still worried. this is the reason I never let my son go with his other parent. I feel the other parent is wreckless and careless. the other parent knew the dog would bite strangers and yet the other parent let the dog be around my son. I understand your frustration, but seriously don't be freaked by it. It happens---he'll be fine. Just make sure they keep that dog away from now on, or better yet get rid of it. So many great dogs get put down every day in pounds and shelters, it's a shame people keep mean ones.

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:57 PM
ok

random_ryan
07/13/2007, 11:59 PM
I have a mini pin that doesn't like anyone. if people come over I make sure he can't bite them. I feel they should have done the same to protect my son.

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 12:04 AM
Well again I dont know your situation, but this could help make sure your son doesnt go with the other parent.

maxfam
07/14/2007, 12:07 AM
hay! when he startes foming at the mouth. take him to the vet.instad of the hospital. lol?

maxfam
07/14/2007, 12:09 AM
love you ryan.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 12:09 AM
HEY NOW THATS NOT FUNNY... well kinda it is

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 12:12 AM
come to think about it he's been doing that for yrs.

maxfam
07/14/2007, 12:21 AM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!

skewlboy
07/14/2007, 01:58 AM
ahhh to speak from experience.... You might want to take him to the hospital. Dog bites to the hand and face can get nasty without treatment.

Just make sure that he gets treated.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 02:35 AM
he got bit on his arm. and it took them an hr to stop the bleed from to puncture wounds

rljlll
07/14/2007, 08:42 AM
I got attacked by a rottweiler on my leg. He left some nice puncture wounds. All they did was rinse with some saline solution. wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and sent me home the police same by the next day to tell me the dog had been caught and was under observation for a bit, but was up to date on shots. So i should be fine. Besides some scaring and the mental trauma(now kinda scared of dogs) I'm fine.

Freed
07/14/2007, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10337544#post10337544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
Also what breed of dog and hopefully the dog has shots.

Why does it matter what breed of dog?

OceanLyons
07/14/2007, 09:06 AM
Thank goodness he wasn't bit in the face. I would hope that they would take him to the hospital if they start seeing signs of a bad infection. I blew out my eardrum while diving. I didn't start feeling the signs of an infection until several days later. Don't know if it would be the same scenario for a dog bite.

Better that it was a dog instead of a cat. Their bites can get nastily infected. I know from personal experience.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 11:31 AM
thanks everyone. they are watching him. but I am still not happy

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10338689#post10338689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Why does it matter what breed of dog?

Dogs have different sized mouths resulting in more saliva, and longer teeth, which could make the wound deeper. ie. a chiwawa, compared to like a rot wiler.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 12:05 PM
they won't tell me the type of dog they have.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 12:08 PM
I am gonna wait till my son gets back. and deal with it then. he will be back in the valley on wensday at 11am.

Rue
07/14/2007, 12:18 PM
...like someone said...nothing you can do about punctures other than irrigate them...dog mouths are relatively clean...and the fact that it bled is actually good too...helps to flush out any pathogens that might have gotten in there...

Seems like a funny reaction on part of your ex though...a hospital visit isn't necessary for an uncomplicated bite...but a walk-in clinic might have been a compromise...

I've been bitten several times...the first time I was 6...it happens...I'm not scared of dogs at all...still luv 'em...BUT...I'm much better at reading dog body language now!

EvilE
07/14/2007, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10338772#post10338772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OceanLyons
Thank goodness he wasn't bit in the face. I would hope that they would take him to the hospital if they start seeing signs of a bad infection. I blew out my eardrum while diving. I didn't start feeling the signs of an infection until several days later. Don't know if it would be the same scenario for a dog bite.

Better that it was a dog instead of a cat. Their bites can get nastily infected. I know from personal experience. That's true. Cats have much nastier bacteria in their mouths then dogs.......

Alto
07/14/2007, 01:30 PM
Tell them that you will call CPS in their local area if they dont take him to the hospital to get it checked out. If they dont take him CPS will.

random_ryan
07/14/2007, 01:35 PM
I have primary custody. I am going for full custody. I am gonna let them make thier bed. with them refusing to go get him medical treatment per my request. and then knowing that the dog bites and not putting the dog up just set them up to loose their rights. plain and simple. I talked to my attoney and he said let it alone. wait till my son gets back and then slam a cps case against them.

random_ryan
07/19/2007, 01:36 AM
Ok he's home and the bite is infected I have an oppointment with his doctor tomarrow at 2:45pm . also they had to put pressure on his arm to stop the bleeding. I am very very upset with the other parent.

SunDevil95
07/19/2007, 02:38 AM
Please keep us updated tomorrow. Tuned in late, but wow... what a rollercoaster!

Frizz
07/19/2007, 09:39 AM
Ryan, You are over reacting! If it has teeth it can bite. Kids get bitten sometimes & it is usually not the dog's fault when it happens. Taking him to a hospital is not going to accomplish anything beyond causing legal problems for the dog's owner. It is not going to make your son heal any faster. Puncture wounds of any type can be difficult, painful & bleed profusely. The bleeding is a good thing because it helps flush the wound.
Tell his other parent to watch him more carefully next time. If she/he had been paying attention this could have been avoided.
Now, go take you vallium & chill out. Kids get bit by animals sometimes. They also fall out of trees & break limbs or crack their heads open in bicycle accidents so as you can see, this is just another one of the lessons that life teaches us as we grow up. Be glad this one only involves a couple of minor puncture wounds.
Frizz

random_ryan
07/19/2007, 10:45 AM
Frizz I totaly understand that kids get hurt. I am gonna hate saying this but its unavoidable. everytime I have listened to anyone when it is involving my kids heath. things went south fast I don't want to take that risk. The other parent knew that the dog would bite. apparently this dog has a history of this. and I hate saying it but since this is the case then maybe its about time someone stired some waters up for once. the dog can not Bite and get away with it.

Here's my oppion if a family dog bites one of my kids. it won't happen again. I won't risk my kids being bit again.

I am calm I just very upset that the other parent knew the history of the dog and still did not take heed. unstead the other parent let the dog neer my son.

also I don't think green puss is a good sign. correct me if I am wrong. but the only time I have ever saw a wound have green puss is when its infected.

Oh and to answer someones question about the breed of the dog . its a chow mix.

random_ryan
07/19/2007, 08:33 PM
Ok took my son to the doctor. It is infected. they cleaned it out and gave him a couple shots. and his update shots. also wrote him a script for some antibiotic. they want to see him back next friday. The dog was wrote off becouse its in another state. althou the doctor did contact the other parent and asked some questions about the dog and why they did not take my son to get medical attention. all is good. he's a lil trooper. I am so proud of my son. even thou they poked him and stuck things in his wound he did very well. the shots he freeked out abit about. but still good. thanks for all the great advice and warnings about what could happen and could not happen. thats what I like about this group there are some really good people out there that have great advice. thanks guys.

EvilE
07/19/2007, 08:40 PM
Let me guess--they put him on augmentin??

random_ryan
07/19/2007, 08:47 PM
They put him on Amoxicillin becouse he alergic to pinacillian.
They said he should have no alergic reactions from it.

EvilE
07/19/2007, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10375428#post10375428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by random_ryan
They put him on Amoxicillin becouse he alergic to pinacillian.
They said he should have no alergic reactions from it. Augmentin is a derivative of Amoxicillan. Augmentin is not penicillin

Kentanner11
07/19/2007, 09:37 PM
I love Amoxicillin!!! That stuff is great! (no Im not a druggy!) but it is the best tasting medicine out there lol! I had to use it when i had ear issues.
Im glad your son is doing well randomR
Hey evil e and info about penicillin in humans (pill form 500mg)?

random_ryan
07/19/2007, 10:24 PM
thanks tanner. EvilE I didn't know that.

EvilE
07/19/2007, 10:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10375786#post10375786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
I love Amoxicillin!!! That stuff is great! (no Im not a druggy!) but it is the best tasting medicine out there lol! I had to use it when i had ear issues.
Im glad your son is doing well randomR
Hey evil e and info about penicillin in humans (pill form 500mg)? What did you want to know?

Kentanner11
07/19/2007, 11:38 PM
I dont really know lol! like anything weird, dizzyness, ect. (not being able to spell! lol! jk)

JMCAquarium
07/21/2007, 01:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10337678#post10337678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by random_ryan
They told me its 2 puncture wounds. I still wanted him taken to the hospital to get it checked out. they are refusing. they are saying small puncture wounds but , i am still worried. this is the reason I never let my son go with his other parent. I feel the other parent is wreckless and careless. the other parent knew the dog would bite strangers and yet the other parent let the dog be around my son.

They do not treat dog bites ,as EvilE said get some anti's and let the boy live life he'll be ok. I've seen wounds my (GF is a PEDS nurse) from dog bites and they don't even stitch them anymore they let them heal open. Why I'm unsure but it will be a waste of time if you go to ER they just send you home with nothing but a sore butt

buffalobunch
07/21/2007, 08:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10383623#post10383623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JMCAquarium
They do not treat dog bites ,as EvilE said get some anti's and let the boy live life he'll be ok. I've seen wounds my (GF is a PEDS nurse) from dog bites and they don't even stitch them anymore they let them heal open. Why I'm unsure but it will be a waste of time if you go to ER they just send you home with nothing but a sore butt
They leave them open to heal because if you close them up, you're closing the bacteria in. If you leave it open to air, it heals faster and you can put a topical antibiotic right on the wound. Keep lubbing him up with Neosporin 2-3 times a day and it should heal up quicker.

JMCAquarium
07/21/2007, 07:23 PM
Yep that makes sense