PDA

View Full Version : OT: External Storage Recomendation

Satori
07/13/2007, 07:00 PM
If you're looking for an external hard drive, I have a recommendation. :)

I've always just used a shared folder on one of the computers here at the house for file storage and backups, but that's just asking for a crashed hard drive, so I started looking for an external drive. I was looking for redundancy, so I wanted RAID 1 mirroring. I also didn't want it tethered to any one computer so I wanted Network Attached Storage (NAS) so it would just connect directly to my router. I went with a Western Digital My Book World Edition II. (I know, funny name) It was the best NAS RAID 1 device in it's price range, and (as opposed to other brands) had great reviews.

It's 1TB (dual 500GB), ethernet connected, standalone, and has a USB port where you can connect other external hard drives or USB flash drives. It also comes with a client software that is pretty cool. The drive is just another mapped drive on your computer, and this client makes it so you can access it even when you travel. When you click on the mapped network drive, it establishes a secure VPN tunnel back to the device. You can also share files and folders with others. You just tell it what files you want to share with who, and it generates an email to that person and sends a lite VPN client so they can securely access those files with the permissions you gave them. Now that I've been using it for a week, I can say I'm impressed. Very cool.

The WD website lists it at $800, but Best Buy has them for $450. I got it on sale for $330. It has a browser based configuration interface and is very easy to set up.

Anyway, if you're in the market I don't think you can go wrong with this one! :rollface:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8188098&st=my+book&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1164155963988
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8188/8188098_ra.jpg

Stirfry001
07/13/2007, 07:09 PM
That's an awesome drive. I wish I had the extra cash to buy one.

Kentanner11
07/13/2007, 07:30 PM
I bought a 500gb. simple set up, usb, single hd for 130$ same brand LOVE IT!

Satori
07/13/2007, 07:32 PM
I almost did that Ken, but I wanted the redundancy of RAID 1. This way, all data gets written to both drives and one can fail with no data loss. You just replace the crashed drive and it automatically re-mirrors all of your data.

Kentanner11
07/13/2007, 07:40 PM
bummer, I wish I bought that!