PDA

View Full Version : off topic: Does anyone have an EMF meter??

cfmx
07/13/2007, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has an EMF meter we could borrow?? Or if there is an electrical engineer that might be able to help answer our question.
We just bought a 2007 Prius (Hybrid) car. After buying it I realized that the High Voltage wire running from the battery (located under the back seat) to the electric engine runs right underneath the left rear passenger and driver seats. I want to see if the EMF is really high or not since that is right where my newborn baby sits. I can't move her to the other side of the car because my 2 year old sits there. I have found info on Prius older then 2005 w/ really high readings but not sure if Toyota has shielded the wiring better or not on the new models.
I also realize we have EMF everywhere including regular gas cars. I would like to see if it is ridiculously high on the hybrid or not.
Thanks,
Tina

stevemc
07/14/2007, 09:00 AM
I would assume there would be readable EMI anywhere near the high voltage wire. They can shield it some. I dont think the wire from the battery would be of any problem, as its only 12 volts (maybe lots more?)at moderate amps. I would worry about the high voltage wire. Or is that the high voltage wire? I know the high power feeder wire coming into Sarasota just North of Fruitville over I-75 have readable EMI from 100s of feet away. I have an extremely powerful pulse induction metal detector that can pick up EMI, but it picks up any metal too, so that cant find out for you.

stevemc
07/14/2007, 10:48 AM
OK, well I learned a lot about the Prius. The battery to the inverter, and then to the electric motor is 200 volts at the battery! I would suppose all of that wiring is giving off an EMF. Electro magnetic field is not to be confused with electro motive force(such as the Electro-Motive division of General Motors which make electric train wheel motors and generators) which is just the power of an electric motor-both are called EMF. EMF or more commonly called EMI or electro magnetic interferance does have some impact on humans though, supposedly. Now I would think that high power transmission lines that power a whole city, would be a lot worse(that is usually where there is thought to be a problem-people that live near those.) than an electric/hybrid car. I did find EMI detectors for as low as $29.95 on the internet.

cfmx
07/14/2007, 02:36 PM
thanks stevemc for the help. I will see if I can find a detector on the internet. I spoke w/ our pediatrician about it an he is very interested in the findings. He is doing some research also on this.
I really hope the car's HV wire is shielded enough that it's nothing to be worried about.

stevemc
07/14/2007, 04:29 PM
go to http://www.smarthome.com/7021.html?src=WG1003576 $29.99 for a EMF detector. I suppose this is what is needed in your case. All others were in the 100s of dollars.