PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for move

MACJMC
07/12/2007, 11:09 AM
So next month I will be moving back to KY to start school again. I will be moving everything from my tank back with me just as I did when I came back to AZ. I will be going out next week and was thinking about buying a standard 29 seeing as I have all the equip there to run one. How much LR would it take to cycle the tank and would it be ready to put my stuff in after a month of cycling? I don't want to take my tank I have here back because its a huge PITA. I plan on bagging all of my fish and corals in seperate bags in a large styro cooler. Then taking about 10-15 gal of water from my tank in a tubberware container. When I get to school I was going to siphon some of the water out of the tank and replace it with the water from my tank here. Do you guys think this would work? I know it seems super complicated but it would make the 1700 mile drive much easier not to take the tank. Sorry such a long post. Thanks for your input!

slowradio
07/12/2007, 12:01 PM
it seems risky to me. i would think that a cross-country road trip in the middle of summer would be tough to prevent temp swings. i've never had to move like that, so what do i know. i was just trying to think logistically.

what if you mailed it to yourself?

MACJMC
07/12/2007, 12:11 PM
I thought about that however the cooler with fish/corals will be going in the backseat of my car so I dont think temp should be an issue. At least it wasnt on the way here from Ky, if anything bags were a little cold. Also I figured it would be better to take them because I know they will be handeled well and not thrown around at all. I should also add I will be driving straight. Its about a 24 hr trip. Im not worried about the move. More worried about what to do/ how to prepare for once I arrive. Thanks for the input!

61scout80
07/12/2007, 12:12 PM
know anyone at school?

when i move i'm planning to have a friend hold my stuff for a few weeks in his established tank. hopefully he won't get out of the hobby in less than 2 years....

what about shipping to a local store? aquarium arts seams to have tanks marked "just visiting". i'm assuming its for a move or tank change of a customers....

random_ryan
07/12/2007, 12:14 PM
IMO and bear with me here. I would take as much of my asstablished water with me as possiable. this makes life easyer for the corals and the fish. be prepared for spikes and water changes. I have moved tanks from other states to here. first this is save atleast a couple cups of your sand bed. wash the remainder. try to keep water movement on the rock. bag everything just as you said you were going to. if you can get one of those coolers you can plug into your ciggerate lighter. to keep everything cooler.

MACJMC
07/12/2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your advice. I already have sand in a 33 gal cube at school in storage. the top of the tank is covered so maybe I can use the sand out of there. The tank was full of water with a little bit of live rock in it for about 6 months but thats about it. I never had the $$ to set it up after I set up my 29. I was def planning on taking some sand from my est. tank here. Just worried about having a mini cycle. As for sending it to someone I know no one in Bowling Green KY with a reef tank. The LFS may hold it for me but I wouldn't count on it.

vanillagorila
07/12/2007, 12:50 PM
IMO you will have a good size cycle using sand thats been used before and dried out. if you bring so live sand from your tank now it will seed the new sand but that will take time to be any good. also i dont think the transfered water will be very good after sitting still for a couple of days.

MACJMC
07/12/2007, 12:55 PM
The water will not be sitting still for a couple of days. It will be in the car for 24 hrs and will not be stagnet . It sloshes when the car moves and stops. So should I bring some LS from my tank now when I go out next week and set up the tank then seeding the sand in it with LS?

random_ryan
07/12/2007, 01:17 PM
i would

pupfish
07/13/2007, 05:31 PM
Okay, my 2 cents (btw: Why is there no cent key on my keyboard?) When I travel over a 1000 miles with fish, as long as they're compatable I just treat the VERY large cooler like a tank. No bagging, add some macro and battery operated pumps or something you can hook to the cig lighter thingy and keep the car/motel room temp set to accomodate the livestock. Get some Catalina water or if you can pre-mix and aerate to tank specs pack several gallons. Do a change when/if you stop for the night. It's worked for me.

azrednex
07/13/2007, 09:31 PM
$.02

paljets
07/13/2007, 11:00 PM
We're overcomplicating things..

Bag the fish, put them in a styro, pack newspaper around the fishs, and on top of the fish.. (To insulate further) Put a couple of "icepacks" on top and seal the styro and put the styro in a box (I can supply all items if you dont have them)

Overnight the fish box to your destination. Using Fedex. (It will be much less stress on the animal to do it this way, and more of a stable transition)

Take a much tank water / sand with you as you can manage. If you're taking a truck put the water in a Brute, with sand on the bottom. Freeze some bags of water, put them in the brute, to keep the trashcan worth of water "cooler" then ambient..

Once you get there, assuming a 24hr drivetime..

Put the water / sand in your tank.. Add addtl water..

Stabilize things, then put your fishies back in their new home..

Should be fairly simple/straightforward..

--paul