PDA

View Full Version : Enkamat in the Valley?

WarEagleNR88
07/11/2007, 06:41 PM
I've an ASM G1X skimmer I'm trying to modify into mesh wheel with Enkamat. I've tried the heavy duty industrial 3M scrub pad but with no luck so far--almost a week with the pad. It's almost as though its too thick and not making enough air. There is very little suction on the inlet air hose and only by cranking the gate valve closed does the bubbles reach the cup. The bubbles are very small--much smaller than the original needlewheel--but it's almost as though they don't have any umph to them.

Like I said it's an ASM G1X skimmer, Sedra 3500 pump, overflow directly fed into the skimmer body and I've modded the 3500 pump to recirculate.

Any help from anyone out there?

oct2274
07/11/2007, 06:52 PM
i would like to know too, i have a PCI RPS-2000 skimmer to mod :)

Alto
07/11/2007, 07:40 PM
Well given that its a landscaping product, I would call some nurseries and landscape supply businesses. If all else fails try calling some landscape architects and see if they have any contractors that would sell you some.

Westy82
07/11/2007, 09:02 PM
would love to see some pictures of how you modded your sedra 3500. i have the same pump with a euro reef skimmer

WarEagleNR88
07/12/2007, 02:26 AM
I'll try to get some of it--I've gotta see how it's holding up since putting it in the sump. However, like I said I don't think it is working quite like it is supposed to be. So it may be coming apart, or it may be crammed full of stuff already. Really it could be anything. Do you have yours recirculating, Westy82?

Anyone with a gutter guard modded impeller? I have some but I'd have to remove the scrub pad first.

It's hard to know what will work when you start modifying things.

Westy82
07/12/2007, 02:31 AM
nope mine is not recirculating. was curious how you did that and was hoping the pictures would be a good visual for me to mod mine.

WarEagleNR88
07/12/2007, 03:13 AM
The great thing about the ASM skimmers is the body is made of PVC. Are the ER skimmers acrylic or PVC? With the from-the-factory ASM skimmers, they drill a hole for the output pipe from the pump and attach a Uniseal-like uniseal to it. All I did was order a new Uniseal from Aquatic Eco-Systems--1" PVC is the inlet size of the venturi for the Sedra 3500 pump--and drill a suitable hole with a hole saw. Put everything back together and wham, you've got a recirculating skimmer.

Again, I'll get a picture soon.

Westy82
07/12/2007, 03:29 AM
cool ill be waiting to see a picture. not sure if its pvc or acrylic

Pyrrhus
07/12/2007, 03:29 AM
It isn't Enkamat, but we have a material at ATR that should do the trick for you, I have used it on several impellers.

GigaFish
07/13/2007, 06:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10323819#post10323819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pyrrhus
It isn't Enkamat, but we have a material at ATR that should do the trick for you, I have used it on several impellers.

I second that. I bought some yesterday and hooked it up. I am not seeing much of a suction difference between the 3M pad and the enkamat replica but I am definately seeing smaller bubbles and a more stable foam tower. The bubbles are so small that they are very hard to see and the water just looks milky. My skimmate is also coming out more black than ever before. Awesome stuff.