PDA

View Full Version : pH swing

crispyreef
07/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Alright, now that I am monitoring my pH (Thanks Jason:D ) I have noticed that my pH goes from 8.20 during the day but by morning it is down to 7.95. Does this seem like too much of a swing? Anyways I don't like it. What are you guys doing to stabilize your pH? I do not what to put in a refuge due to space but I have to do something. Thanks

northbay-reefer
07/11/2007, 04:24 PM
Chris that is fine, dont worry too much. You can always run your fuge reverse photo period to counter the ph swing if you like. ... Just remember you rather have ph swing than wife mood swing :lol:

corndogg
07/11/2007, 07:03 PM
I think that is within acceptable standards. When I lived in the other house off Piner rd, my tank's pH was about that same range. When I moved, it went up because we keep the upstairs windows opened up. It always bothered me that it dropped below 8.0 more than the swing itself. But I never saw any adverse affects from those pH ranges. If you are determined to lessen the swing you can:

1) keep a window near your tank open (even a few inches helps) to ventilate the house and keep excess co2 from accumulating.

2) run your calcium reactor only during the day so that no co2 is injected at night. Obviously you need to crank up the output during the day to compensate for not running it at night.

3) drip kalkwasser at night (I have a Geo reactor for sale too :lol: )

4) have your skimmer venturi line suck fresh air from outside the house

crispyreef
07/13/2007, 12:21 PM
My tank is pretty close to a window that is open most of the time. I wonder what the swing would be if it wasn't? If it is not as bad of a swing as I thought, then I guess I wont worry about it. Maybe I'll keep you your Kalk reactor in mind:rolleye1: . Tom, aren't wife's mood swings unavoidable :wildone:.
Thanks fellas

corndogg
07/13/2007, 11:33 PM
is your CA Rx hooked up yet?