PDA

View Full Version : Comments Please!

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 02:03 PM
Ok so I first thought about not using any water filter and just using straight de/chlor tap water but Melev is starting to get into my head and I am pretty much convinced that I should use a RO/DI. Anyways.. What do you think about this?
I think its a good deal cause of all of the different filtration steps.

RO/DI Filter.. Comments about it? Should I buy? (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-100GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ120138973711QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Thanks!!

dream54ing
07/10/2007, 03:43 PM
never heard of the brand. there are arguements about quality of different brands, but im not going to get into that...
looks like a good deal...
would recommend the spectapure. i have one and i love it. a little expensive, but i beleive you get what you pay for.

sjm1978
07/10/2007, 03:55 PM
here you go http://www.azseabottom.com/ROMAXCAP.html

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 04:01 PM
thats a lot more than I want to spend.

jenn_jeffery
07/10/2007, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10312599#post10312599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
thats a lot more than I want to spend.

Don't forget, you typically get what you pay for.

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 04:38 PM
so this wouldnt be a good purchase?
I want to get an RO/DI unit, but have been told by others that I trust VERY much that I wouldnt need an RO/DI and I could use tap. I just thought this would be better than tap water.
I dont know, I just want something that is under 80$ and will work for my small needs ( 55g. saltwater, and 5g freshwater)

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 04:40 PM
it that or
This, (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160112560098)

azrednex
07/10/2007, 04:59 PM
Some people on here with very nice tanks have used tap for and extended period of time, but for me you can always tell when you look at a tank that is getting tap, they don't look quite right.
Also keep in mind that a lot of the nasties in tap water will be absorbed into the sand and rock and the livestock, then later when you decide to stop using tap water and you bring the concentrations of those things down in the water most of them will leach back out of the rock and sand, doubling your exposure.
Everyone I know of who has used tapwater has eventually decided it is a bad idea.
Also keep in mind that AZ is some of the worst water on tap of the entire nation. I don't drink it, why would I use it in my reef?

Doglover_50
07/10/2007, 05:41 PM
Wait for a comment from AZDesertRat or PM him---I think he's the FRAG resident expert on water, as he works in wastewater management, I believe!

As for price, hold and get a pre-owned quality unit, as an option.

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 05:43 PM
Cool, I will wait for AZ DesertRat.

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 05:48 PM
so Doglover_50 do you know of anyone selling an old RO/DI?
lol!
axrednex- I agree but never have had the ability to compare.

dream54ing
07/10/2007, 05:51 PM
or u can buy filtered water at stores until you can get the spectrapure rodi unit. its worth the wait, rather than getting something that you might want to upgrade later....its probably better than tap.

Doglover_50
07/10/2007, 05:58 PM
If you want to try pre-owned, put up a thread--I bet you'll find some people who want to upgrade to Spectrapures themselves ;-) , maybe you could get a deal.

Then later you could do the same when you are ready for a spectrapure!

But dream is right--if you don't get your own unit, buy filtered water--you do NOT want to go with tapwater.

AZDesertRat
07/10/2007, 06:00 PM
The two you linked to are probably two of the worst investments you could make. The quality is nil. RO/DI is not a place you want to cut corners on since water is the single largest ingredient in your reef, as well as necessary for your own life. RO and RO/DI are a good example of "You get what you pay for". There is a big difference in filter and component qualities. Be very careful when buying a used unit as it may easily cost you more for replacement components and filters than what you would have spent on a new unit.

Expect to pay right at $150 for a reef quality unit that will not require upgrades and replacements to make it work out of the box. For $200 you will get a slightly better unit with things you will end up buying soon anyway like a TDS meter, pressure gauge and autoshutoff valve. For $350 you can get the best thing since sliced bread which will save you money from then on on filter and DI resin replacements since it is much more efficient than any other unit available today.
I would suggest if you don't have the money now, continue buying water from a known trusted source until you can spring for a good one.

There are several RC sponsors that I suggest since they also support this website and forum and are aquatic hobbyists themselves:

www.spectrapure.com - 90 GPD MaxCap System
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com - 75 GPD Premium series
www.thefilterguys.biz - 75 GPD Ocean Reef+ series
www.melevsreef.com
www.purelyh2o.com - 75 GPD Optima Vision series

Kentanner11
07/10/2007, 06:18 PM
wow. Thanks for all the info!

Alto
07/11/2007, 12:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10312874#post10312874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
so this wouldnt be a good purchase?
I dont know, I just want something that is under 80$ and will work for my small needs ( 55g. saltwater, and 5g freshwater)

Just a little side note... after shipping its $99.97. So its actually $20 over your price range. Shipping of $38, is gouging IMO. Based on that alone I would pursue another product.

Kentanner11
07/11/2007, 12:30 AM
yea I thought the shipping was EXTREME!
So heres what I thought:
I have an aunt that only drinks RO water, If I can sell her RO water I think I can afford like the links above, sparing nothing. If not heres what Im looking for: An RO/DI Unit, that is the best possible for 100$ Including shipping, If its like 110$ thats all cool. I figure that I could start out with something not so top quality (or great) and then upgrade with funds later, as my job will be starting up again and I will be applying for more hours.
Thank-you all for your help! I appreciate it alot!

jenn_jeffery
07/11/2007, 12:44 AM
IMO, you would be better off buying water from a water and ice store, and stashing your extra money until you can afford a NICE used system or a new spectrapure type unit. You'll waste far more money in the long run buying cheap membranes that don't last long in the oh so wonderful Arizona water. You can pickup a couple of 5 gal. jugs from a sporting goods store in the camping section.

Kentanner11
07/11/2007, 12:50 AM
how much does water usually cost from a water store of LFS?
Oh, and how much does those 5gal. jugs cost?
just curious, Thanks!

jenn_jeffery
07/11/2007, 12:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10316076#post10316076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
how much does water usually cost from a water store of LFS?
Oh, and how much does those 5gal. jugs cost?
just curious, Thanks!

We pay $0.25 per gallon for water from a local water and ice store we trust. As for the water jugs, I think the average price is probably around $10. I think we paid $6 at Sportsmans Warehouse, but I couldn't promise, it's been a couple of years. We hauled water for about a year and a half--including filling a 90!! We now have a Spectrapure RO/DI unit which makes life MUCH easier!! :-)

pc1blues
07/11/2007, 01:34 AM
Kentanner11, I am currently hauling water from the water and ice store and it is a royal pain, but will hang on untill I can afford a good RO/DI unit. Water from these stores run 25 cents per gallon. If you are looking for a jug to haul it home in Wall-Mart sells a 7 gallon water container with a spigot for under $9.00. Makes it easy to do top offs etc. Just turn the spigot and fill what ever container is easiest to handle to pour into your tank etc.

Kentanner11
07/11/2007, 09:44 AM
If I remember right SouthwestSaltwater (who is my LFS) said that they went to a watermart or something.... But I think they also sell water. I would be looking to get 25 of those 5gal jugs, unless I made trips.

jenn_jeffery
07/11/2007, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10317381#post10317381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
If I remember right SouthwestSaltwater (who is my LFS) said that they went to a watermart or something.... But I think they also sell water. I would be looking to get 25 of those 5gal jugs, unless I made trips.

Make trips to fill the tank. Once it's filled, having 2 jugs for waterchanges and top-offs should be good. You'd probably have to get them refilled once a week.

And yes, hauling water is a huge PITA, but much better than producing water that's not 100% what you want and spending more money (in theory) on two RO Units/upgrades than you would hauling water for a bit, and saving for a nice RO unit.

Another random thought--from the ages thread, you're 14-15? if I'm remembering right--are your parents going to let you mount the RO unit somewhere and plumb it in? Needs to be mounted into studs if at all possible, as it's pretty heavy when filled....

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 12:16 PM
yea I am 14, and am doing this all by myself, budget included! (except building the stand, I had help from my step dad)
This is going to sound sad but, If I can convince my parents to use a dishwasher (in every house we've lived in there has been a dishwasher, but my parents have never done a single load!!!) than I think I can convince them to mount this. We have a good spot in our laundry area.

Has anyone used this or have comments about it
http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 04:51 PM

corivus
07/14/2007, 04:57 PM
I've never used one of his units although they do sound interesting.... I may do that one of these days though

Kentanner11
07/14/2007, 05:08 PM
They sound really good, but hey I have no clue! loL!

jenn_jeffery
07/14/2007, 05:11 PM
I'm sure coming from Melev, it's a great unit. Keep in mind though, the horrid water that we have here. The MaxCap from Spectrapure is geared towards this water, as the company is in Tempe, and they do the research & development here as well I think. If you are buying one now, I'd def. buy the Melev's reef one over the ebay one. Hopefully AJ will chime back in about his as well.

AZDesertRat
07/14/2007, 05:25 PM
Melev has a good unit. Its not the same as the MaxCap, actually nothing is but if you are on a budget its a good unit.