PDA

View Full Version : Public aquariums - your recommendations?

Che's DW
07/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Che & I have been trying to take advantage of any opportunity we have to visit some nice public aquariums. In February, we hit Monterey Bay, Steinhart (in its temporary location), and Aquarium of the Bay on a long weekend trip to SF/Monterey. In March, we visited Boston, and our hotel was only a couple of blocks from the New England Aquarium, so we made several trips there. Two years ago we were at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Years ago we did a private behind-the-scenes tour of the Texas State Aquarium with a college class. I have been to the Dallas World Aquarium, and I think Che has been to the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans.

I know there are several biggies that we are missing - specifically Georgia and Shedd are the ones that come to mind - but what other public aquariums have you visited that are worth checking out? We're looking for some good weekend trips for next year.

Thanks!

vanmle
07/10/2007, 12:01 PM
I forgot the name of it but there is a really nice aquarium in Chicago near/on Lakeshore Drive.

Fliger
07/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Georgia & Shedd are the big ones that come to mind. The Tennessee Aquarium is really cool also - the largest FW tank in the world (or it was). When it first opened it was one the world's SOTA aquariums. There's the one in Hawaii, but I've never been to it. I believe all the ones from that PBS program are covered ("Window to the Sea"?) I know this will sound bad to some, but Seaworld is pretty cool also.

Then of course there are some incredible ones overseas ....

Che's DW
07/10/2007, 12:17 PM
Overseas recommendations are welcome too. The only one I've seen/heard anything about is that big one in Spain somewhere. Obviously not a weekend trip but if we can hit them in conjunction with our other travels....

It's been years since I've been to a Seaworld but I recall there being some nice exhibits.

evolust
07/10/2007, 12:30 PM
I went to the scripps/ birch aquarium yesterday and its pretty sweet. Its in San Diego.

Fliger
07/10/2007, 12:44 PM
Check out this cool Wikipedia entry! Everything you could ever want to know! My sister is north of Seattle and next time I visit I want to hit the Vancouver Aquarium. There are so many little ones that you can't make a trip out of but are worth visiting. I've been to a dozen from VA to The LBC :) .

l'Aquarium is in Barcelona and is a very nice Aquarium, we were just there a couple months ago. Great Shark Tunnel. We've been to several smaller ones across western Europe but most are smaller and semi-public (government funded), so they are not as "polished" as the ones here. I've heard that Japan and some of the wealthier Middle East countries have some Sick (in a good way) aquariums, but never been.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_aquarium

edit - was extremely disappointed in the National Aquarium about 7 or 8 years ago when I went to visit some friends from school. dirty tanks - but the wikipedia says its the oldest in the US.

buffalobunch
07/10/2007, 12:59 PM
Birch is a nice aquarium. If you want a nice weekend trip stay at either the La Jolla beach and tennis club or La Jolla Shores hotel. Both are right on the beach and you can walk everywhere in town. They are on a private beach so its usually not too crowded. There are also great tidepools to visit everyday. Just a 5 minute walk down the beach. We go here atleast once a year. We go to the tidepools everyday at low tide. Several restuarants and 2 little markets. I love the area. You can literally park your car and walk from the hotel everywhere. The Birch/Scripps is about 2 miles from the hotel so that might not be a fun walk, but for a weekend getaway its a quaint little spot.
http://www.ljshoreshotel.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&PageId=225151&ssid=72850&vnf=1

vanmle
07/10/2007, 01:12 PM
There is an awesome aquarium in Osaka Japan. One of my favorite displays is the large round aquarium where they have tuna swimming around and around. Looks totally awesome.

SWSaltwater
07/10/2007, 01:16 PM
Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans is pretty well recovered since Katrina (they lost almost everything in the storm). Visited it when I went home for a Saints game in January.

Birch in San Diego is nice.

Atlanta is my next venture

tropoasis
07/11/2007, 12:28 PM
Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is very nice, saw it in June after IMAC

Not real impressed with the Reef areas but the Amazon displays were fantastic and the S.A. and African rivers section was very nice as well....

DjScibbity
07/11/2007, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10311167#post10311167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
Check out this cool Wikipedia entry! Everything you could ever want to know! My sister is north of Seattle and next time I visit I want to hit the Vancouver Aquarium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_aquarium

I went to the Vancouver aquariumlast December...It was pretty nice. Had some really cool exhibits and some cool freshwater stuff as well. Id recommend it. As far as corals go, Ive never seen an aquarium that can match the diversity and color/growth of fellow reefers.

-JP

tropoasis
07/11/2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you JP!

My thoughts exactly, while viewing the Shedd reef systems, that was my feeling, I've seen much nicer reef displays in most reefers home tanks!! :D

soni
07/11/2007, 05:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10311354#post10311354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanmle
There is an awesome aquarium in Osaka Japan. One of my favorite displays is the large round aquarium where they have tuna swimming around and around. Looks totally awesome.

I liked the one in Okinawa better.

http://www.kaiyouhaku.com/en/index.html

jrobison
08/03/2007, 11:00 AM
I went to the New York Aquarium last weekend on Coney Island and it was not worth the trip at all. Old and in poor shape, the boardwalk was nice though. There is a pretty good aquarium in Gatlinburg Tn too. Smokey Mtns would be a good weekend trip.

jenn_jeffery
08/03/2007, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10473807#post10473807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrobison
I went to the New York Aquarium last weekend on Coney Island and it was not worth the trip at all. Old and in poor shape, the boardwalk was nice though. There is a pretty good aquarium in Gatlinburg Tn too. Smokey Mtns would be a good weekend trip.

Nice one (or was, haven't been in years) in Chattanooga, TN as well. Can take a ride for lunch on one of the riverboats too and see some native wildlife too. Pretty neat all in all.

gillies
08/03/2007, 01:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10473807#post10473807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrobison

Visited the NY Aquarium in June and have to agree with you. Sad, very sad.

A big plus on Birch in San Diego.

Wildlife World Zoo is constructing one that is supposed to be ready in about a year.

Elliott
08/03/2007, 02:17 PM
been to Long Beach, Monterey, New Orleans and San Francisco aquariums, nice fish exhibits but when I was there coral displays were average at best. I thought Monterey was the most impressive of the four. always ask if you can have a look at the maintenance areas, they often can arrange that. chatting with the staff and touring the back was most memorable for me, this can often be arranged in advance.

JMCAquarium
08/04/2007, 02:33 AM
I was watching "Worlds Biggest" program on discovery and they just finished a huge jumbo aquarium addition in Sydney Australia ~~~TheSea.Org ::Public Aquariums - Australia~~~

at least i think it was sydney anyways it would be good excuse to go there go scubba in local reefs

JMCAquarium
08/04/2007, 02:36 AM
I went to Birch .... I must have missed somthing cuase I wasn't to impressed the outside portion of the aquarium was really neet and over looking the "old" aquarium but that about it for me at least. was thinking about enrolling for there summer program and working the crew in the "old" aquarium collecting/caring for water, seeweed,corals, and fish. not sure yet I haven't the time as of now.

pillions
08/04/2007, 10:26 AM
The Maui Ocean Center is a great experience. There's the typical tube you walk through to see Manta Rays gliding overhead, numerous small tanks with various aquatic genres. It's worth 2-3 hours.

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html

Mahalo.

Philwd
08/04/2007, 04:17 PM
Been to Shedd, Maui, Birch, one in Charleston, Long Beach, Sea World. I actually thought many of Shedd's exhibits were in poor shape. We liked Long Beach; took the behind the scenes tour. For coral Maui was the best. Birch is pretty cool too. Brandon loves the tide pool out back.

Still want to go see Waikiki, Atlanta Aquarium and Monterrey.