PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raised Clownfish?

Zeezorm
07/09/2007, 11:10 AM
I have a pair of tank raised Percula Clownfish, and was wondering the best way to get them to host in my coral. I have a large torch as well as a large frogspawn. I have seen my female every so often brush up to my GSP but even that is rare... any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Stephen

buffalobunch
07/09/2007, 11:17 AM
See if you can find some pictures on the internet of your species of clowns hosting a torch or frogspawn. Then print it out and tape it wherever the torch/frogspawn is so that the clowns can see it and get the idea of what they are supposed to do. I was skeptical at first when I heard this idea, but it really works. It took both pairs of clowns I had all of about 3 minutes to notice the picture and dive in.

sardonicscorpio
07/09/2007, 12:30 PM
Its my understanding that tank raised clowns may not ever host something, because they didn't learn the behavior from their parents. I've heard that from LFS and also read it many times during my research, but I've also heard from people who've had their TR clowns host stuff, so I guess its possible. Good luck!

Zeezorm
07/09/2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Ill try it...

elzool
07/09/2007, 01:50 PM
I have false percs from ORA (tank raised) false from Aquatouch and a locally tank raised from ATR. The one from ATR had a few gbta's and sebae I believe to choose from while in the store and was in and out of those. When I brought the clown from ATR home with a bta I assumed it would jump right in and keep the AT clown out. It was just the opposite, the AT clown dove in like it had been waiting years for the anemone to arrive and now hardly ever strays from it.

Tank or wild, they may or may not host. I agree as usual with BB and the picture taped to the aquarium is a great idea.

Reef-o-Roni
07/09/2007, 03:54 PM
It took mine (tank raised ) about a month before any hosting happened ,But now it host everything even my clam.:lol:

sardonicscorpio
07/09/2007, 04:49 PM
Okay, so I'm having a major blonde moment, I guess, but is the taping-a-picture thing serious or a joke? I've got 2 TR percs that swim all over the tank and don't seem to even have a specific spot to hang out, let alone host. Granted, its a fairly new tank so I don't have much for them to host even if they wanted, and I'm scared of anemones ever since I read about them releasing toxins and killing everything in the tank. I was under the impression that the TR most likely won't host, so I haven't even tried...

vanmle
07/09/2007, 05:30 PM
RBTAs are fairly easy and safe.