PDA

View Full Version : New guy in the Santa Maria Area

Dead2theWorld
07/08/2007, 05:07 PM
Hey everyone,

Well I'm currently in Albuquerque righ now but i will be moving back home at the end of the month after 6 long years in the military. I'm definately new to the saltwater hobby, but have been into freshwater for the last 3 years. I had mainly piranha's, but due to them being illegal in the CA. I had to part with them and decided to take on a new challenge in the saltwater hobby. I found out about RC through a LFS where i was also told about local forms. I'm glad i was able to find this place. I also talked to LENNY at the orcutt aquarium while i was visiting and am really eager to get started in this hobby. I plan on having a Reef tank and a FOWLER. This is what i have managed to acquire in the mean time.

2 135 gallon tanks
remora pro skimmer
CPR BAK-PAK Dual Pak skimmer
Multiple power heads
I only have lighting for one tank. (not sure what)
30 gallon sump/20 sump/60 gallon unused tank

I welcome all advice in start this hobby, I've been doing as much research as i could for the last 4 months. I'd be interested in lighting for my 135 reef tank if anyone is selling some. Just thought i would say whats up to everyone and introduce myself. Take it easy.

SolidDetail808
07/08/2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome!
I'm fairly new to the hobby also. But learn more and more from RC. WHat I've learne dso far is that it is a challenging but also rewarding hobby.
Mike

SurfnFish
07/08/2007, 09:52 PM
Hey. How's it going. I'm here at Vandenberg with SolidDetail808. I am somewhat new also. I'm currently running a 55 FOWLR. I have done business with Lenny at Orcutt Aquarium on many occasions. Let us know when you get to town, and we'll be glad to help you setup/share experiences. It's nice to have other SW geeks around. It's VERY nice to have one right down the street! Welcome to the hobby, and back to Cali!

Dead2theWorld
07/09/2007, 06:07 PM
cool guys i looked foward to getting down there soon. i'm actually in the AF too the good old SF. Can't wait to get started. Take it easy

BBishop
07/09/2007, 06:50 PM
Welcome home D2TW,

Are you at Travis? They have a lot of nice LFS in that area.

If you have particular questions reguarding set up, fish, corals, water quality, or algae problems, you can pm me.

You have a nice tank size to start with. I don't think that the CPR bakpack will cut it. As far as lighting, I can't offer advice on it because I don't know what your goals are, corals, fish etc.
You could do a nice surge system with the equipment that you have right now. They work very well for reef systems.

Bill

Dead2theWorld
07/10/2007, 11:20 AM
What do you mean by surge system?

SolidDetail808
07/10/2007, 11:54 PM
I got a Remora Pro also. It works great! Hit me up on PM when you get here.
Mike