PDA

View Full Version : Clumping substrate?

traco
04/30/2000, 04:14 PM
I have searched the archives about clumps in the substrate as I seem to recall a post about this problem. It had to do with low alk. or PH ... something along those lines.

Anyone recall the post or who can help me with this? I have this problem in my 65 gallon which is having problems with low alk. and high calcium. PH is 8.3, salinity 1.025, temp. 80, nitrites/ates 0.

I have switched from Deep Ocean salt mix to Kent and will be doing a water change tomorrow.

Any ideas or thoughts?

------------------
Thanks
traco1@hotmail.com

Steve Richardson
05/01/2000, 08:26 AM
Traco - I thought I saw this posted on another board... did you say you are using Tap Water?

If so, the mineral build-up over time might be a problem for you. Let us know if this is the case.. and did you say your alkalinity is low?

-S

David Grigor
05/01/2000, 09:18 AM
If you are using Kalkwasser this has also been known to cause clumping....

traco
05/01/2000, 09:51 AM
Yes, I am using tap water. I have tested the water straight from the tap and found 0 phosphates, 0 silicates, low calcium, alk. is 7. I have also tested my tank water and phosphates and silicates are still 0 but a big jump for calcium and still low alk.

I don't add kalk.

------------------
Thanks
traco1@hotmail.com

Canadian
05/01/2000, 07:38 PM
When you add your det. kit things'll soften up. A sand sifting cucumber will help too. I don't know where you'd get one from. I know John can get them. I had to order mine for myself at Safari Pets, but no one in town has a clue and can't be bothered to carry them.

Also an increase in water flow across your substrate should help.

Andrew