PDA

View Full Version : which is better, 20 gal or 39 gal. ?

kat1000000
09/17/2002, 06:46 AM
Ok, my choices are a 20 gal or a 39 gal , which would be best? They are both currently set up as freshwater tanks. They both have regular flourecent lights w/full hoods. Do i need to use a sump or could i go sumpless? I know i need a protein skimmer, i have a couple of powerheads and a heater. What am i forgetting and which tank would be best? Also would it be ok to put my mandrin fish in with sea horses? What sort of substrate do sea horses like? Can i use sand out of my reef tank for the substrate? Should i use live rock or not? Which horses would you recomend? What do you use for hitching posts? TIA

kat

Will
09/17/2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by kat1000000
Ok, my choices are a 20 gal or a 39 gal , which would be best? They are both currently set up as freshwater tanks. They both have regular flourecent lights w/full hoods. Do i need to use a sump or could i go sumpless?
the 20 gallon would be fine, but the 39 would probably be better just because it's more water volume- though not too much- and that'll give you added stability. the lighting is your choice. just make sure you can see the seahorses ;) you can definately go sumpless. most filter materials used in sumps are known to cause buildup of nitrates, so no sump may be better. then again, there are too many benefits of a sump to include here. it's basically your choice.
I know i need a protein skimmer, i have a couple of powerheads and a heater. What am i forgetting and which tank would be best? Also would it be ok to put my mandrin fish in with sea horses?
yes, you'll need a skimmer. the more powerful, the better. you'll also want to use a heater guard to keep your horses from getting burnt on their little tails. you may not need very powerful powerheads. a calmer tank is usually better for horses. also, i'd keep that mandarin out of there. as you probably know, they need pretty large amounts of established live rock to even have a chance at survival. if he's eating frozen food or something though, he'd be a great tankmate. they are not known to be agressive unless there are two males present.
What sort of substrate do sea horses like? Can i use sand out of my reef tank for the substrate? Should i use live rock or not?
seahorse don't really have a preference when it comes to substrates. lots of people on here have been using black sand, but i don't really like it. i've got live sand in my horse tank. you may also want to consider incorporating a dsb into the tank. this'll add lots of beneficial filtration as well as microflora and microfauna which will keep things tidy. post in dr. rons forum for more help on creating a dsb.. yes, you should use live rock. it's a must in almost all marine tanks in my opinion.
Which horses would you recomend? What do you use for hitching posts? TIA
kat
i recommend anything captive bred. almost all cb horses are equally easy to take care of. in many cases, wild caughts are exponentially more difficult to care for. the best sources for cb horses in the US are ocean rider and flying fish express. i currently only keep erectus, and they are excellent! i think i may try kudas in the near future. you'll be surprised at what they will hitch to. mine can simply wrap around a bump on the live rock. i've also got plenty of caulerpa and two gorgonians for them. they love their golden sea rod (what's in a common name?? nothing.. it's Plexaurella sp.). so, keep your questions coming!
fourhand2

kat1000000
09/19/2002, 06:09 AM
Where can i purchase a heater guard?

kat

Will
09/19/2002, 06:38 AM
they should be available at your lfs. if not, they're probably available somewhere online. i'd try www.ffexpress.com. good luck! ;)
fourhand2

mikedean
09/22/2002, 01:52 AM
I agree with four hand, except I think you need a better filter than a tetra tec 150. I think the best move for a sea horse tank is actually a refugium style filter. One that will produce live organisms that will provide a constant food supply for the horses. When i had my sea horse tank up and running, i used the ecosystem 40 on a 40 gal. It was great. I had many different types of organisms growwing in the filter that fed my horses. The filter is expensive, atleast a few hundred, but can be easily simulated if you have the room and have a nack for craftyness. A lot of people kill sea horses not because of the evironment but lack of nutrition. They have a short digestive tract and constantly need to eat. People are succesful with feeding large amounts a few times a day, but they do better (live longer) when they can graze through out the day (like they would in the wild). If you do a web search on Ecosystem 40 you can find the filter. I cant think of the website on the top of my head. But I know a lot of people who make home made sumps with this miracle mud (this is the substrate in the ecosystem) and they are amazed with it. If you do the right proportion the system will keep a constant food supply for the tank, it also corrects and prevents diseases, it prevents PH drops in the tank, and supposibly you don't need a protein skimmer. Well i will get of the soap box. Have fun!!

mikedean
09/22/2002, 01:57 AM
I forgot to say that it is evident that you are going to put corals in the tank. Otherwise your lighting system is overkill. Don't put corals that sting in the tank with the sea horses. Horses aren't the quickest when it comes to reaction times. I have seen anemones try to eat sea horses. It is the same princible as the heater guard. Before they would realize it they are getting burned ( or eaten).

Ohmsford
10/16/2002, 03:33 PM
I currently have a well established 20 gal with 3 horses and babies as of 10/13. I started the tank with a modified Skilter filter and a small powerhead for circulation. The tank has a sand bed of about 3-4 inches, with some live rock. I am in the process of building a sump/refugium under the tank to grow some Caulerpa, have a safe place to keep the heater, keep some carbon, and a protein skimmer. Part of the return flow will go to a 4W hang-on UV sterilizer while the rest of the return flow goes to a spray bar positioned across the back of the tank.

YES to a dsb - great for denitrification

YES to live rock with a word of caution - You should make sure there aren't any creatures that could sting your horses. This would include some larger bristle worms that could be a potential nusiance. The filtration effects of live roch are just too great to leave out of your tank.

YES to a protein skimmer - In the wild, the water has a low concentration of dissolved organics while having a high particulate concentration (food). A protein skimmer insures that your tank will keep this proportion. There are many who make a convincing argument to go skimmerless, but consider this. You want to be able to feed your horses as much as you can , due to theiur dietary requirements, without polluting your water. A PS is the ONLY way to achieve this.

YES - Cover your heater or put it in your sump, I learned the hard way and have had 2 seahorses get burned on it. Luckily they both have recovered, probably due to a good diet of Mysis.

YES - Get a UV sterilizer - Seahorses are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections, where the sterilizer can significantly reduce the risk. Live brine carries an enormous amount of bacteria, and rinsing in fresh water can't be relied on.

NO - Do not add corals - The lighting requirements for most corals can be too bright for seahorses. Also, corals can secrete and release neurotoxins that can injure and kill your seahorses. Additionally, corals can release toxic terpenoids into the tank due to chemical warfare between competing species. Also realize that if a coral dies, it too will release all sorts of chemicals and toxins making a death soup for your horses...Why risk the potential problems, its supposed to be a SEAHRSE tank anyway, ie. put corals into a second reef tank.

I think that if one keeps in mind that everything in the tank, including external hardware, is to the benefit of the seahorse only, things should be controlable. Good luck!

Will
10/16/2002, 05:33 PM
YES - Get a UV sterilizer - Seahorses are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections, where the sterilizer can significantly reduce the risk. Live brine carries an enormous amount of bacteria, and rinsing in fresh water can't be relied on.

not necessary.. UV sterilizers do little in the way of helping an established parasitic or bacterial infestation. many people have gotten by for many, many years without UV sterilizers or ozone. i personally use neither and i don't plan on it. besides, it costs money to run and maintain, it creates excess heat, and it creates excess water flow. also they're pretty expensive. don't bother getting one.

NO - Do not add corals - The lighting requirements for most corals can be too bright for seahorses. Also, corals can secrete and release neurotoxins that can injure and kill your seahorses. Additionally, corals can release toxic terpenoids into the tank due to chemical warfare between competing species. Also realize that if a coral dies, it too will release all sorts of chemicals and toxins making a death soup for your horses...Why risk the potential problems, its supposed to be a SEAHRSE tank anyway, ie. put corals into a second reef tank.

corals can certainly be added to a seahorse tank. they are actually great natural hitching posts. large, tentacled LPS such as euphyliids should be avoided along with hydrocorals which have a dismal record in captivity anyway. many corals do not require hight lighting and even with those that do, is the sun too bright for seahorses? only the brightest lighting systems can compare with the sun. if potent corals are avoided, one must not worry about them secreting neurtoxins. all coral toxins can be removed via protein skimming and with the use of chemical filters such as carbon or polyfilter. it is true that corals can induce chemical warfare, but this doesn't usually affect the fish with adequate filtration. coral death fits into this category also; with prompt removal and adequate filtration, damage to tankmates is easily avoided.
fourhand2

10/16/2002, 05:50 PM
Yah, definately don't automatically rule out corals. Do a little research about which ones are good or not good based on keeping requirements. Mushrooms (except for elephant's ears) are great, my horses love their mushrooms!

Also, fourhand2 is right, a mandarin makes a great companion as long as he's trained onto frozen foods. theres a girl on seahorse.org who has one.

Also, check the General Discussion forum on seahorse.org, they have just recently posted a nice little summary of the requirements for a seahorse tank.

Have fun, you're gonna love keeping horses, they're awesome fish!

Amanda