PDA

View Full Version : Follow up

katyttt
06/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for your reply and concern Gary,
d helpful people on both (as well the more general forums that have international participation. (Also quite a bit of used equipment and frags get exchanged there.)

Please excuse me if I'm overstepping your request for advice, but there are a couple of questions for you (not mentioned in your post) to help with some advice/suggestions:

You mentioned that the lights came from other tanks...where those reef tanks? marine? freshwater?

Dual Satellite 2 x 96w 30", both bulbs new in February, 24" JBH Dual 2 x 96 New last fall but due for new bulbs.

You mentioned that the tank was set up recently...how recently?

3 months ago we combined 2 long time existing tanks, with added live sand for a little more than 3" sand base, we added all the water, sand, live rock and bio balls form the other tanks over several weeks. We also cycled the new tank with some large Damsels and some snails & Hermies.

How much live rock do you have? How long has it been in a working marine tank? What other filtration do you have?

100 lbs is a rough guess on the L/R and all has been in tanks for several years. We are running an Miracle W/D with a Rio 1700 (our Aquus 3500 just went out, we are awaiting a new impeller as well as looking for a strong pump), Also we have a Fluval 204.

Do you have a good protein skimmer? Aquarium Systems Skimmer
The PC bulbs you have now...how old are they?
Is the scooter blenny taking frozen foods (other than brine shrimp)?
Yes we are lucky, he eats most frozen, we are concerned though because we are not seeing as many copepods as we used to in his prior set-up.

Depending on how mature the tank is, I would strongly suggest not adding anymore livestock for awhile.

Tests check out fine, ran a little high on Nitrates for a while, but hoping the sand base will help keep it in check, as well as the L/R and Xenia.

Of the animals you listed, three absolutely need a lot more light or they will die...the "Christmas Tree Rock" is porites coral with the filter feeding worms. This coral requires moderate to high levels of light. Of the anemones, bubble tips are the least dependent upon high levels of light, but they'll need a moderate level. (a few hundred watts of PC minimum.) The bubble coral also falls in that category. (Consider putting both lights on the side with those animals until you get upgraded.)

What are your thoughts, beside new bulb, Think we need Halides? We are adding DT's, what do you think here?

PC bulbs are good for about 6 months (max) before the amount and wavelength of the light really degrade.

Well stated, we also keep Leopard Tortoises who are very dependent on full spectrum bulbs.

Unless the tank has been up and running for at least six months (a year is better) with a lot of live rock or a refugium, most scooters will slowly starve for lack of live copepods to eat. See above.

In addition to lighting, my primary equipment suggestion would be to put money into a good protein skimmer as the next investment. There are a lot of cheap ones on the market that really won't work. It is better to invest $200 on one that will than $100 now on something you have to replace for $200. (I know, I have been there! I would give you the first two that I bought, but it would be a terrible thing to do to anyone...)

I would love a recommendation here.

I really do hope you'll check-in and introduce yourself on the two reefcentral forums I mentioned up above. We really do have a great bunch of folks who be able to help (at any level of experience). (even if we might be buttinskies...)

Thank you very much for the forum info. I will post all of this info and invite comments, criticism, and advice. People like yourself are who have made this hobby what it is today. Please keep it up.

Chris & Katy