PDA

View Full Version : Mh

khrios
06/09/2007, 07:39 PM
After using my T-5 lighting setup for over a year, I am considering getting a halide setup for more intense light. I have a 55g acrylic tank with mostly softies/zoas and some lps. I would like to get a clam and maybe some sps, and since I need new bulbs for my t-5 setup anyway, I thought now would be a good time to switch, if I do. First off, is there a difference in intensity between double ended and single ended bulbs, or is one easier to use? I am thinking about getting two 150w fixtures and a two VHO actinics. The tank is 48" long and only 13" deep, so space is an issue. Any brands in particular to stay away from? Thanks for the help,
-Jon

sulcata1619
06/10/2007, 09:35 AM
you deifinately want icecap ballasts.
You have more choice of bulbs with single ended. If space is an issue than you don't want DE bulbs because you have to have a pendant for them. Brands for bulbs is your choice. right reeflux bulbs are pretty bangin. If you want cheap but good reef optics bulbs look nice. if you are going with two bulbs I would run 10k or 14k.

khrios
06/10/2007, 02:01 PM
I think I'm going to go with SE bulbs, probably 10k. How necessary is actinic supplemtation with 10k bulbs? Would two 150w SE bulbs be enough, or should I step it up a bit?

sulcata1619
06/10/2007, 10:02 PM
you'll want the actinics with the 10k to give your color that extra little kick. Lower on the t5's than the halides will give you more pop too.

crispyreef
06/11/2007, 12:15 PM
I use E-Blueline ballast and like them a lot. As for as SE or DE, I agree with Mike, more options with SE. With your depth of tank the 150's will work well, you may want to look at 175s. Then you could run iwasaki 14K and may not need supplimental lighting. With 175s you do have many options and can house what it sounds like you want.