PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Nirvana!

drbronx
06/08/2007, 07:45 AM
After my long pilgrimage, i have finally found what I am looking for. The perfect SE Halide lamp. I have found it in the 400 Watt Reeflux 10K. I have had xm 10k, Hamilton 14K, Reeflex 12k, tested out briefly a Radium 20k. While all were cool, nothing compares to this. It is a super crisp, extremely bright ice ice white with a hint of blue. No yellow whatsoever (however keep in mind it is still burning in). I have been reading rave reviews on the sps forum about this bulb as far as coral response. We'll see. I had lost the reds and some blue in my corals under the bluer lamps and I'm hopingt this brings those colors back. Greens pop under blue lighting so I was afraid of losing that but the greens continue to flouresce under this lighting. Keep in mind I use no supplemental actinics. The funny thing is I received these bulbs by accident from Premium Aquatics since I ordered 12k Reeflux. I had been thinking of trying these bulbs anyway and after calling Nate and getting his approval I figured "What the heck" since I like experimenting with different lighting. Well, it was well worth the lengthy journey. Nirvana is cool. I'll try to post comparison pics.

nwrogers
06/08/2007, 08:07 AM
I have to get over there to see this. They sound really nice!

jacksonpt
06/08/2007, 08:37 AM
Wow - I thought you had a great tank before, I can only imagine...

On a related note, I upgraded my PC lights to a 70w 14k halide this week - the color is MUCH better and the corals responded almost instantly.

bruffin
06/08/2007, 09:32 AM
What ballast are you using with them?

drbronx
06/08/2007, 01:23 PM
_PFO Pulse start dual ballast.

drbronx
06/08/2007, 03:12 PM
So how does someone in Birmingham Alabama wind up on this site. very cool. Maybe cuz Birmingham rhymes with Binghamton:)

fatrip
06/08/2007, 03:23 PM
lol.....jerry dont forget about today...

morris2
06/09/2007, 12:11 AM
Jerry I was going to go with the 12k 400W reeflux after seeing your tank. I may have to hold off.

drbronx
06/09/2007, 06:33 PM
OK as promised, here are a couple of shots with the 10k Reeflux. Abit less blue than these to the eye than it is to the camera. Other than cropping, absolutely no photoshopping was performed.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/drbronx/IMG_2355.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/drbronx/IMG_2354.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/drbronx/IMG_2350.jpg

drbronx
06/09/2007, 07:19 PM
As a contrast, here is a similar shot under 14K.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/drbronx/IMG_2350.jpg

drbronx
06/09/2007, 07:24 PM
Sorry, wrong photo! Maybe this one:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/drbronx/116_1654.jpg

nwrogers
06/10/2007, 02:55 PM
Well I was able to get over to Jerry’s to see these lights in person and they are really nice! I think I may have to try these out the next time I replace my bulbs. Those photos came out really nice Jerry, good work! Recently I have come to strongly prefer the 10k lights over the 12, 14, or 20k both visually and for coral coloration. I just like the nice white light better than blue look…

drbronx
06/10/2007, 06:35 PM
Thanx Nate! Its also definitely easier to take photos under 10K lighting since its very difficult to correct for the washed out blue look in photos with 12-20K lighting. Its ultimately always about trade offs. There never will be a perfect bulb in truth. Some corals look absolutely stunning under bluer light; especially anything with flourescent green coloration. But then you pay the price by losing reds and even some blues. So far, I'm very pleased that the greens still pop with the Reeflux 10Ks since there is enough blue in the spectral distribution to makes the greens flouresce. Another thing I've noticed with the bluer bulbs is that they are truly only a 6 month bulb since the spectrums seriously shift over time. A couple of my large millepora c olonies were seriously effected by me not switching bulbs sooner so now I have to wait and see if their color returns. But if not, I'll; have tons of brown milles for sale...cheap!

morris2
07/03/2007, 11:07 AM
What do you think about the 10k's after a month?

drbronx
07/03/2007, 11:24 AM
The bulbs are fully burned in and thjey are still my favorite bulb to date. I run XM 10k's in my 75g tank that i can use as a contrast. the XM's are extremely yellow and thus require supplemental actinic lighting which makes for a nice lighting combination that has good PAR values. the Reeflux 10k is a much crisper look with blue and some pink overtones. Coral color is terrific and I have regained pinks and reds. PAR is significantly less than with XM's but I am no longer looking for rapid growth. The final test will be to see how the spectrum distribution holds up over time. I hate to have to replace bulbs every 6 months. BTW, others who have seen the new lighting really liked it and a couple have decided to try out these bulbs on their tanks.

morris2
07/04/2007, 02:38 PM
Did you buy your bulbs locally or online?

drbronx
07/04/2007, 07:32 PM
premiumaquatics.com