PDA

View Full Version : are brittle stars compatible with seahorses?

rylin
09/12/2002, 10:59 PM
i tried to post this once before but it didnt work i guess.. anyway.. I have a 65g reef tank.. I was wondering if I could get seahorses so I did a search on RC and found threads that said It was possible. Im very dedicated to my tank so I really want to try. I dont have any fast fish, just 1 false perc clown. I dont have anything I think would be very threatening to a seahorses.. just various polyps and softies with 1 bubble coral. I do however have a green brittle star.. Ive never seen him attack anything or anything but I wanted to make sure it was alright. are they known to be problematic toward seahorses?

Will
09/13/2002, 03:57 PM
hi :D unfortunately green brittle stars are known to capture slowmoving fish, and when they catch one, they eat it. so, this would not be a good thing. sorry :( if you're willing to give up your brittle star, you could always get a serpent star. they are reef- and fish-safe.
fourhand2

rylin
09/13/2002, 04:33 PM
that sucks :/ i am attatched to him/her :-| i would have thought a serpent star was almost the same except the brittles have the spiny legs. i didnt know they were that different. maybe ill do that ill weigh the pros and cons. thanks for the info though.