PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seahorse Qs

onethumb
09/12/2002, 06:12 PM
I'm currently partway through setting up a 55G reef tank, but I know my wife would love to have seahorses. So I'm considering down the road (this is months away, at least, but I want to get researching early) setting up a seahorse tank.

I imagine that seahorses are much better in a tank designed specifically around them, rather than a reef? If so, is there a size recommendation? Any special requirements I should know about? I understand they don't have stomachs, thus need to be manually fed twice a day. But I'm sure there's lots more I don't know.

Any pointers to seahorse FAQs or beginners guides would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Don

Will
09/12/2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by onethumb
I'm currently partway through setting up a 55G reef tank, but I know my wife would love to have seahorses. So I'm considering down the road (this is months away, at least, but I want to get researching early) setting up a seahorse tank.
why wait a few months? a seahorse-specific tank, when done simply, would be quite easy to set up. as long as you stay away from sea grasses, you should be fine. a better alternative would be macroalgaes (hehe, i'm telling you this at the same time that i'm planning a seagrass tank for my seahorses.. it's VERY difficult to do, and should only be attempted if you've got lots of time on your hands!).

I imagine that seahorses are much better in a tank designed specifically around them, rather than a reef? If so, is there a size recommendation? Any special requirements I should know about? I understand they don't have stomachs, thus need to be manually fed twice a day. But I'm sure there's lots more I don't know.
they're not always better in a tank of their own. a quiet reef tank is just as suitable.. but yes, seahorse-specific tanks are nice :D anything greater than or equal to 20 gallons and less than or equal to 40 gallons would be excellent. and whoever told you they need to be fed twice a day was trying to scare you away and should have their tongue cut off!! ;) they need to be fed once a day, and in some cases they should be fasted (or preferably given a less nutrtious fodder such as live, unenriched adult brine shrimp) one day a week.

Any pointers to seahorse FAQs or beginners guides would be very helpful.
the only pointer i can give you is to ask questions and be reading here often. you'll learn more than you think in a much shorter period of time than you think. so, welcome to the world of seahorses!!
fourhand2

onethumb
09/12/2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm waiting because my reef tank is already way over budget. :)

My LFS was the one telling me about the seahorse feedings, and I don't think he was trying to scare me away, since my wife was oohing and aahing over them.

I have a 55G that's being turned into a reef right now, so I guess that'd be too big for some seahorses?

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely lurk and learn.

Don

KJHawley
09/12/2002, 10:00 PM
You should also check out www.seahorse.org for general seahorse info, as well as www.oceanrider.com for more info on how to feed seahorses, especially captive bred ones.

old ron
09/13/2002, 07:59 PM
Forhand2
Look what kjhawley did sic em!

Will
09/13/2002, 08:22 PM
yeah kj, like i said to ron, please don't send people to other message boards. i feel like if they posted a message at reef central, they trust us enough to follow our advice. i just don't feel that it's right to send someone away if we can answer the question ourselves..
fourhand2

salttess
09/15/2002, 09:37 AM
I am going to stick my neck out here. I usually lurk. I think its ok to post other forums. Not every one has all the answers. When doing research, you want all the info you can get. Its a good thing. I have seen the "other" board refer to other forums also. Especially the ocean rider web site! Just IMHO Tina

Will
09/15/2002, 09:44 AM
as some old philosopher once said.. "to each, his own."
fourhand2

printerdown01
09/17/2002, 01:05 AM
Ok, no offense but what kind of statement is that?? Yelling at people for sending people to places with information, especially when they are requesting information??? Look, people come to boards because there is a great wealth of knowledge lurking on the boards... part of that knowledge is knowing WHERE to look for information... I am normally not one to but in with a scornful comment, but that just doesn't make sense! Why would anyone assume that they (or they and a handful of friends) could dispense all the knowledge from all of the resources on the net? Anyway, you needn't reply or anything -and if you wish to send me a PM regarding how "inappropriate" my post is too, feel free... I will read it over carefully, as I try to be VERY open minded, but this kind of ridicule doesn't make sense. RC has been taking a lot of flak on other boards recently because of this type of behavior (in case you are unaware). -sorry I was looking for information about seahorses for a friend when I ran across this... I am certainly not one to sling mud, but I will not stand by and watch people get asked not to give others information. And I will not with-hold information from others who are asking for it -sorry but sometimes people actually like to help people! Perhaps I am mistaken, but I though that THIS was the point of a forum...

onethumb
09/17/2002, 02:03 AM
KJHawley: Thanks! Great links!

fourhand: I don't want to be "roped into" or "locked down" to a single source of information... I've found RC to be a fantastic wealth of info for my reef stuff, but it seems pretty slow for searhorses, judging by the traffic so far.

Do you really think asking other people to not post links to other sites is going to keep me from finding them? I *want* to visit every site that has any knowledge I may need. It's not like Google wouldn't have eventually pointed me there anyway...

It seems counter-productive to have a web forum and not let people use the power of the web - crosslinking.

Don

SeaNemesis
09/17/2002, 05:44 AM
OK we are adults here. Let us use this board for what is intended for and that is for information.
Don for seahorses you want a tank that is at least 20" tall. A good sand substrate is good. Many people have turned to using black sand especially if they have colorful seahorses, they sem to show off great color with black sand. Plenty of live rock and a good protien skimmer should be used as well. As far as the feeding it really depends on what type of seahorses you get. If you get tank raised from ffexpress or ocean rider only 1 feeding per day is generally recommended with frozen PE mysis. You will also want to fast them once a week. If you are getting wild caught (Iwould not recommend) You may need to feed them live feeds.