PDA

View Full Version : mj mod project review

killingseed
06/02/2007, 09:45 PM
My personal review of how the mj-mod is working for me. Keeping in mind flow is always a key point in SW tanks and I have had some problems trying to get good or better blow without going over budget or having 20 power heads in my tanks. I was using a rio HF 12 close loop for a while at 0 ft. it’s a cool little setup I but doesn’t comepair to this mod. So ya I waited as long I a personal could to do this project and see the out come of using the mod pump.

I have seem these mods talked about a lot for a long while now. I have spent time reading about it from time to time now I got to do one.

The mod is straight forward and easy to put together not much to it. It comes with enough stuff to build it like 3 different ways. The shroud that comes with it is awesome. I don’t think anyone could do a better job at making one unless you own yourself a person CNC router machine.

I put together the 1500 GPH kit on a new 1200 MJ. Seem to work good at the meeting, but after using it for a day I didn’t like the noise it was making so I worked on it some more. I reduced the length a little and I added the washer that came with it. Noise went away and it working great now. That wasn’t enough I took the time to but the other one I had left over together on another new 1200 mj. This one was the 2400 GPH mj mod kit. I had a some what used 900 but I could get the 1500 GPH or the 2400 GPH mod kit to work on it, not sure why. For the most part the other kit went together just as simple as the other one.

So I have both mod kits and set them up in my tank and have had them both running for half a day. Let me tell you they rock. I am only running the 2400 GPH kit right now but running both is nice, I took out my close loop system the mod is by far much better.

i would like to add that the mod might not be for everyone. I think for pricing the is ok but with out a good mount it may not compare to the hydor egg circulation pump the mount you get with that is awesome. Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump #4 cost at an AVG on the net is around $49 with the mount running at around 1200 GPH. The mj mod is around 50 for both the pump and kit with out the mount. If your looking for flow the hydor can be moded as well.

scoutmaniak
06/03/2007, 04:52 PM
Sounds great John. I was hopping to mod a maxi at the meeting too, but now ill just do it myself. Do you think two 2500 gph kits would be to much for a 5 foot tank?? I already have the maxis so all I need to do is mod them. Your hydor price comparison is good, but if you already have the maxi it is cheaper to just mod the maxi. Im with you though, for the money I would love to have a few hydor #4 pumps. The mounting system they use is way better, and they use alot less power. Thanks for starting this thread!!

Michael

killingseed
06/03/2007, 06:52 PM
I find it hard to run the 2400 GPH and the 1500 GPH in my tank, though they are both in there I am only running one. I do turn the other one on from time to time and it ups lift a lot a stuff which I think is very good and helps move more unwanted stuff to one of my filters. I think if I maybe bought the mount that they sale for the kit on mj-mods and I was able to redirect the flow better then ya they might work great together. I won’t know till I get the mount. Overall depends over all on what you where trying to keep in the tank as well.

If you get the mounts with the kit you shouldn’t have too much of a problem running them both in that tank. With out the mount you may have to play a little with the placement of the mods and you may still find yourself moving some of your corals around due to flow or circulation changes within your tank. Having a backup never hurts if you find it to much flow over all. two mods at 2500 is a lot of flow!

I think over all you electric bill will be a lot better running two mod or two hydor then running lets say 4 rio 1400 that can only do 400 GPH which is only around 1600 GPH for flow or circulation. And the real factor is here where the RIO 1400 does 27 watts each and the hydor #4 is 8.5W and the maxi jet is 20 Watts, I hate to say this but the hydor has it beat in that. And I just did the research in the last 10 min of this post. keeping in mind moding the pump will change the watts used by the pump and i couldnt tell you want that is i dont have a kill-a-watts meter on hand.

If you still looking to do the a mod you are more then welcome to get the kit and bring it to the next meeting and I am sure there will be someone there to help you with it. You will need a good knive and maybe a drill just to take part the prop from the mj pump.

mitchellmoto
06/11/2007, 12:39 AM
I agree that two 2400 might be too much. I finally put two 2400 in my 180. HOLY CRAP it still moved all the sand where the two currents meet!:eek2: They are at opposite ends of the tank but in the middle where they converge it just keeps the sand moving . It is also as far down on the mount that it can go but it still creats a cyclone and pulls in air not constantly but randomly. Great kits but you might get away with 2 1500 kits??????
Worth a try I guess. Putting it together is cake!