PDA

View Full Version : Let there be light

inaspin
05/30/2007, 11:19 PM
I love catchy subjects lol, I had a buddy give me a 400 watts high pressure sodium fixture that also can be used with metal halide bulbs.
I just didn't know if I can use the HPS bulb that is in it, It was used for Hydroponic gardens. Any good ideas on this yall?
Thanks

stevemc
05/31/2007, 04:45 AM
I dont think it will light MH bulbs, and HPS bulbs are way too yellow for a reef. Too much red. It should grow algae well though! But look on the ballast, and it should give a number, and you can check and see if your ballast will light any bulbs by checking with specs for bulb. I dont think so though.

inaspin
05/31/2007, 10:08 PM
Thats cool steve the light has a toggle that shows HPS or MH I was told it was a high dollar fixture, so I guess I just need to buy a MH bulb
Thanks for your help

SoundsFishy2me2
06/01/2007, 08:32 AM
I agree with Steve then sodium lights would be too yellow and grow bulbs likely don't have the correct spectrum.<BR>
Woody do some research before buying "just any" MH bulb for it, make sure you match the ballast to the bulb. Also check probe start/ pulse start bulb requirements for it. The incorrect one may start and run but then burn out, blow-up or even may cause a fire! That sounds scary, but it's not that hard to narrow down the correct type bulbs that unit could use and avoid problems that might occur. Keep in mind if your new to MH use that they do run hot, both to the touch and to the tank, so watch the tank temp the first day or so. Lots of people have "old" bulbs here on RC, that's a good way to test & see what bulbs/color you like (assuming they are the right type) and also allows the intensity to be a little lower to start. You could probably get someones old bulb to test with cheap or free if you ask.

inaspin
06/01/2007, 11:19 AM
sounds smart to me Its a right new fixture made by sunleaves so I'm sure I can get all the info on it. I have a 175w MH for my other tank and you are right the heat has to be in check I ran a central AC duct behind my other tank that cools my refuge lol yeah I know thats a bit cheesy but im a poor guy.im even poorer now that someone "cough" gave me a free fish tank.