PDA

View Full Version : Bring A Tank Or Get One In Oki

magrath
05/21/2007, 05:14 PM
Quick Question,
I was wondering if I should bring my 65g glass setup and stand with me or are there good deals on acrylic pre drilled tanks and stands available there? I will be moving to Oki the first week of Aug.

Brad

vest0830
05/21/2007, 10:05 PM
tanks are expensive unless you can find one used, compared to the states.

-Frank

magrath
05/23/2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks Frank,
I think I will just take my chances when I get there and hopefully someone will be selling a setup. I will be looking for at least a everything. I am planning on stocking everything in my tank from diving locally. Looking forward to getting there!

Brad

vest0830
05/24/2007, 05:14 AM
if you have things like a skimmer, power heads and such, I would bring those....since you would most likely end up ordering it from there anyways.

jeffb3t
05/24/2007, 06:44 AM
As frank said, your best bet is to bring a tank with you. YOu can order an acrylic 180 for only $1500 just to give you an idea of prices here.

magrath
05/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have sold my setup here. As far as lighting, is there anything offered locally or do you guys go through companies back here and get it shipped over?

vest0830
05/24/2007, 06:55 PM
everything hardware here is stupid expensive. you will order it stateside when you do get here, I almost guarantee it.

Give you an idea, a maxi-jet powerhead that costs $15 in the states is 6000yen or around $52 here in Okinawa.

Livestock is cheap, depending on where you go though. I had about 15 clams in my tank...would have cost me probably $1000 to buy them in the states, I paid 500yen (about $4.50) a peice for them here.

matttaylor
05/24/2007, 07:03 PM
Man i miss Okinawa, I spent 3 years there when i was younger (21 years ago). At the prices you guys are listing i would never be able to afford a tank over there, although the idea of collecting animals myself sounds like fun. BTW, where are you guys posted? I lived off base near Kadena, and yes i was an AF brat growing up.

Matt

vest0830
05/25/2007, 04:16 AM
I live right outside the infamous kadena gate 2, also known as BC street. Well, down the hill anyways. Bret also lives down in that region though a little closer to the pond. A few others live out near Torri station...the Army base. I cant speak for many others...

As for collecting our own stuff, not going to lie...ive brought a few things up. In general though, the livestock is very cheap. The clams I speak of, I bought. I was told "they are a little sour to eat :lol: "

magrath
06/02/2007, 07:47 PM
I need to figure out how much weight I can bring over. I would love to buy a used 90 - 120g complete setup and bring it with me.

vest0830
06/03/2007, 12:12 AM
TMO should be able to help you out with that. Tanks themselves dont weigh much, so I wouldnt be worried about weight. I wouldnt worry about weight. Not to mention, I have NEVER heard of anyone paying out of pocket for moving.

magrath
06/06/2007, 10:06 PM
I just went to TMO yesterday and my weight limit is 4250LBS so I think I can manage briging a tank with me. Do you end up paying any extra getting things shipped over there to the APO address?

TheDeparted
06/06/2007, 11:26 PM
shipped over how?? by TMO? as long as your within your wieght.. and dont forget, you dont count military books and work related equipment into your total weight.

Sango-chu
06/07/2007, 01:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9999120#post9999120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by magrath
Thanks Frank,
I think I will just take my chances when I get there and hopefully someone will be selling a setup. I will be looking for at least a everything. I am planning on stocking everything in my tank from diving locally. Looking forward to getting there!

Brad
Brad, ...and on the above note. I feel that I MUST tell you that there are STRICK regs on taking anything out of the water in Okinawa. Dead or Alive....Is it done...of course, but if caught, the consequences CAN BE severe....especailly if the local community needs an anti-base story for the news that evening. there, forewarned. Live rock tht have been "torn-off" by typhoons (no matter how many years ago) can be explained. A 5 gal bucket of live corals in hand while coming out of the water with your tanks strapped to your back equal max departure of dive gear, frags, car used to transport them, oh, and a huge fine...
Just be careful...there are alot of guys here that can show you the ropes...and all willing to be of service.

magrath
06/07/2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the advice SC, I was not planning on pulling a lot out of the ocean just a piece every now and then and I was also planning on buying some frags from you guys as well.

magrath
06/07/2007, 05:14 PM
What I ment by shipped over to an APO address was equipment and supplies shipped by mail order.

TheDeparted
06/08/2007, 05:38 AM
ahhh no, its the same as mailing something to california. Altho there are a lot of companies that will charge you a little bit extra, mostly because they only use FedEx or UPS and they now have to send someone to the post office to mail your box out. Then you come accross the ones that dont even want to do that.. bastards. There is an online site called ww.shipitapo.com (add another w) that I use when I find something that the company just wont ship to an APO address. you set up an account with shipitapo.com and they will give you an address to have stuff sent to, and they will forward it onto you. used them several times, very good and quick service.

vest0830
06/08/2007, 06:25 AM
yeah, I order my stuff from premium aquatics. I usually get the items within 7 days of ordering, cant be happier with ordering from them.

As for the ocean stuff....f-it. Its like speeding. you get caught, you get caught. :lol: Just dont be obvious about it. Thats my $.02

sandiegan
06/10/2007, 11:29 PM
Magrath, when are you leaving? I might have my 120g cube for sale (everything you need except a light) come the end of the month. PM me if you're interested.

magrath
06/11/2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Sandiegan,
I PMed you.

magrath
07/10/2007, 11:37 PM
Well I have finally found the setup I want. I am picking it up this weekend (without the livestock). I will be heading to Oki on 1 Aug and hopefylly my household goods (tank) will arrive shortly after. Looking forward to meeting you all. Here are some pics of it let me know what you think.

Brad

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/6499580g.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/6499580g2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/64995lights.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/64995sump.jpg

80 gallon complete marine aquarium center overflow with matching canopy and stand excellent condition running great would be good in any home or office. ~$3000.00 invested tank is beautiful. Will be sold complete with everything listed below included

INCLUDES:
Tank is only 2.5 years old and is glass 66” high x 52” wide x 19” deep

Equipment and lighting:
400 Watt 20000K Metal Halide Bulb x 2 with IceCap Ballasts
65 Watt power compacts x 4 with custom sea life ballasts
Currant USA heater/chiller with 8 watt UV sterilizer
Aqua C EV120 skimmer with Mag 5 pump
Mag 9 pump x 2
Phosbane Reactor with pump
Seio 820
Hydor Koralia 4 circulation pump/powerhead
Sea Swirls x 2
Silencer for overflow
Tunze Aquarium Dosing pump/system
Euro Fil sump 15 gallon
Power strips x 3 and lighting timers x 3 / Fan x 3
Filter socks x 3
Dual anti siphon bulkheads

Canopy and Base Oak
4” Fans 2 in base and 2 in canopy

Sango-chu
07/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Congrats BRAD!!!! That is am awesome rig...can't wait to see it once it's up and running!!!

rhunt
07/11/2007, 07:09 PM
I was station at Kadena from 1979 thru 1981. From my readings...things sure have changed there.

I was a licensed scuba diver there and loved it. I was too young though to really appreciate it. I was 18 years old when I got there.

I have read there there is a great pubic aquarium there. Has anybody gone to it?

Sorry to go all nostalgic on you.

magrath
07/11/2007, 10:24 PM
I just got back from checking out the tank, it is a nice setup. Do you guys have any problems getting plumbing parts over there? I am going to have to cut some of the tubing and do some plumbing to move and resetup the tank.

magrath
07/11/2007, 10:25 PM
I just got back from checking out the tank, it is a nice setup. Do you guys have any problems getting plumbing parts over there? I am going to have to cut some of the tubing and do some plumbing to move and resetup the tank.

Sango-chu
07/12/2007, 01:52 AM
I do...when its US size and trying to use metric. I have to order bulkhead fittings from the states b/c they just can't be founbd here. I would get doub le of everything you think u might need....just to be on the safe side....I started here so I had no choice but to order on line...and I am not as patient as the other fellows...

magrath
07/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info. If anyone needs anything let me know I have plenty of room in my shipment and would be happy to pick anything up here and have it for you when it gets to Oki.

magrath
08/04/2007, 03:53 PM
Just got in country, looking forward to getting my TMO shipment and tank around Sep 2.

magrath
08/04/2007, 03:55 PM
Is anyone running a barebottem tank here? I was thinking about trying it.

vest0830
08/05/2007, 10:12 PM
Not that im aware of, but if you want my honest opinion, I cant think of one reason to run a bare bottom...

I myself sorta think that once you are bare bottom, its more of a show thing than a hobby and your typical hobbiest tank...and i'm a little more of a hobbiest...if that makes any sense.

magrath
08/06/2007, 02:51 AM
That does make sense. Do you get your sand directly from the beach/Ocean bottom here or from the pet store?

vest0830
08/06/2007, 03:19 PM
a little of both. the make-man (DIY store) store has a bag of sand which works great, for around 200y for a huge bag. I mixed that with some sand...which I think is best to get at lowtide. Wait for the lowtide, walk out to about waist deep and grab a small bucket full, use that to seed the other stuff.

magrath
08/06/2007, 05:44 PM
Where is the DIY store located at? I am heading to housing today, looking forward to having a house and getting my things although the Westpac Lodge is not to bad.

Do you usually cure the rocks you collect or just put them in? If you put them in do you have any problems with die off? Where have you found the best place to collect live rock is? Sorry about all the questions, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel here and I plan on using the live rock/sand to cycle the tank

vest0830
08/06/2007, 07:30 PM
There is one in American village, pretty much right under the ferris wheel. As for LR, first I should tell you its only illegal if you get caught. lol. secondly, the kadena sea wall, kadena steps area is a nice place IMO for decent rock. Pretty much, anywhere you go out, you should be able to find something...its just a matter of getting out when you have time, no one is around to get busted, and the water is ok to get into...

go get some good snorkel gear and head out right at day break and you should be good.

TheDeparted
08/06/2007, 11:30 PM
personally I would cure them.. you could do a fresh water dip and see if anything good comes out of the rock..snails ect and then just cook them.

magrath
08/07/2007, 06:01 AM
I was just reading about cooking rocks in a BB thread. As much as I like the look of sand it sure seems like going BB would be a lot easier to maintain and keep clean.