PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any pics . Solar Tube lighting for Reef Tanks

reefrubble
05/17/2007, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have any of their reef tanks lit by solar tubes ? What was the cost of the project ? Ted

akwtampa
05/17/2007, 09:58 PM
I'm considering it, Ted.. I've priced the Sola-tubes, installed, with several local companies and they were all in the $800 price-range.. I did, however, find one company who would do it, all included, for $600..

The key to the project, I feel, is good southern exposure, and the ability to make the tubes as short as possible.. My problem is I can get the southern exposure, but my tubes in the atttic will end up being like 10' long.. and then 3' more coming from the ceiling to the tank.. So I'm thinking I would have to go to the 8 or 10 inch diameter tubing, which means bigger holes in the roof..

There are a few good threds with pics on RV.. One guy has a 600 or so gallon tank with 3 18" tubes.. Also had some VHO or T-5 for actinic and it looked fantastic.. Somewhere in the thread he talked about the fact, too, that there is an equally neat effect in the tank at night because you get the true cycling of the moon...

All in all, I think I would be up for it if I could find someone with experience to help me install them; to keep costs down.. But the trouble will be convincing my wife that it's safe to cut huge holes in the roof..

reefrubble
05/17/2007, 10:11 PM
Aaron , My wife doesn't like the idea of me making large holes in the ceiling. Also my tank is on the north east side of my house . I think I could make it work though . If the kits were less $$$ it would help a lot. I can't see why they cost so much , there isn't much to the kit. Ted

akwtampa
05/18/2007, 09:36 AM
The only thing I can figure is that they're not a huge demand item, so they make thier money on higher pricing.. If more people were clamoring to get them, I'd imagine the price would lower..

akwtampa
05/18/2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.tubular-skylight.com/

These guys have really good prices and are reasonably close.. they also said they would travel to the Weeki Wachee area for an install..

I wonder if we could get them to do two houses in one day? hehehe.. :)

Also, one consideration is that the lenses that are typically emplyed for this have UV protection built in.. I've read that it's best to get non-UV protected lenses for good coral growth..

akwtampa
05/18/2007, 09:53 AM
http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmfaz/index.htm

http://home.iprimus.com.au/aurorabridal/Doc1.htm

reefrubble
05/18/2007, 10:53 AM
What kind of price , are you talking about ? Ted

akwtampa
05/18/2007, 01:33 PM
They were in the $250 range installed.. With a 3' or so extension tube..

adnup
05/21/2007, 12:09 AM
They sell the tubes in Home Depot. Lets cut some holes in your roof - Ted

reefrubble
05/21/2007, 07:19 AM
Paul , if you can convince my wife to let me do it , I'm game . Ted

reefrubble
05/21/2007, 07:25 AM
adnup , If we do yours first , then may be I can convince my wife to let me do ours . Aaron wants to do his too . We can make this a team effort . Ted

akwtampa
05/21/2007, 08:11 AM
My wife is a limiting factor here as well.. She said she'd rather have no reef than holes in the roof..

reefrubble
05/21/2007, 08:28 AM
Did we all get our wives at the same store ?
Ted