PDA

View Full Version : Lost nearly every fish

Bury1
05/16/2007, 10:33 AM
I got home yesterday to a tank with all but 2 fish dead. My temp reached 88.1 degrees. I'm crushed. I have MH lighting that must have caused it. They come on at noon, I was there at almost 5:00. I'm considering selling it or buying some fans or a chiller. We have swamp coolers but don't leave them on during the day when were at work. Thankfully all my coral, a Maroon clown, a Radience Wrasse, and three, shrimp seem to be ok.

Here's a list of what I lost.
1 Orange shoulder tang,
1 Hippo tang,
1 Atlantic tang,
6 Green chromis,
1 Pygmy Cherub Angel,
1 Arabian Pseudochromis,
1 Fridmani Pseudochromis

mitchellmoto
05/16/2007, 02:13 PM
I feel ya. I had the same thing happen to me several weeks ago. I lost over a grand in coral.:(
Stick with it amd don't just give up. Try fans on the tank and some in the windows of the room to help pull out the heat. It is better to pull out the hot air then it is to try and bring fresh air in. If it is in a hood then open the hood up. do what ever it takes to help keep the temps down. If your temps got the high you should also be prepared to maybe lose so coral.
Not all mine died right away. Some looked fine but days after just slowly turned to white some died over night. Doesn't it suck.
Anyways sorry for your loss and good luck!

killingseed
05/17/2007, 02:18 PM
sorry to hear that, ouch! that will take a bit out of your budget :<.

i think we are all just starting to feel the heat now! not even sure why chillers have to cost so much. we'll have to break out the ice packs and fans to help chill our tanks.

SOULEMAN
05/17/2007, 03:34 PM
just keep a look out in the classifieds sections as i just got a brand new 1/10th current chiller for 265.00 shipped to my house from a member.. if i were you i would really think about getting a chiller as it will save u a lot of money in the long run...

Myrphie
05/21/2007, 09:03 PM
Another thing to consider would be shifting your lighting schedule so that the MH don't come on until you are home and thus have the AC on. So long as you have the lights on long enough it really don't make a huge difference when they come on.

mitchellmoto
05/22/2007, 01:33 AM
I changed my lighting schedule. Now I haven't had the temp go over 80.5. During the day it is usually around 77 to 78 and after the lights have been on for a while it creeps up to 80. This is certainly a better route than a chiller. It just isn't the cost of it, it is also the cost of running it. Just try changing you times first if you still have problem you can still get a chiller but if you buy a chiller you can't send it back!!
And in case you are wondering yes I run MH around 900watts of MH lighting so it contibutes to quite a bit of heat.

SOULEMAN
05/22/2007, 01:05 PM
yeah but you have to think, it hasnt even got into the summer months yet. the hottest it has gotten is around 90-92. So i think it would be beneficial to run with a chiller, cause once it start hitting in the 100's during the day and high 80's at night there aint gonna be much you can do with the tank temps but invest in a chiller. Thats all im saying and im not trying to step on anyones toes.. Just my opinion

Salty Sam
05/22/2007, 07:02 PM
Souleman's right, we are gonna get real hot in July and August....fans and changing photo periods are not going to help much.

zed915
05/22/2007, 10:18 PM
What has worked for me in the summer (if your short of cash) get a fan...

1. Keep the Lights off until you get home from work; weekends I keep the lights on all day (with fan).

2. Most importantly, point your fan directly over the water/lights.

When I get home from work, my tank's (80 Gal.) temperature = 80.7 degrees.

When the fan is on... goes down to 76.5 degrees farenheit.

Tank has the following:

(1) Mandrin
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) Hippo Tang
(1) Emerald Crab
(2) Clowns
(2) Damsels
(1) Franmandi
(1) Yellow Clown Goby
(1) Cleaner Shrimp

purpletang26
05/29/2007, 09:46 AM
just an update bury1 no luck with a used chiller, have you found one yet, if so let me know so i can stop looking for one.

Bury1
06/17/2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your support and ideas. I haven't found a chiller yet. I tried adjusting my light schedule and placed a fan over my sump (90 gal), over tank (58 gal). So far I stay right around 80-82 deg in the 90 gal, and 78-80 in the 58 gal. I lose a lot of water due to evaporation (like 5 gals a day between both tanks). I just started putting fish back in the tank over the last few days. I guess I'll see what happens. Wish me luck.