PDA

View Full Version : snorkeling day anyone?

stevemc
05/15/2007, 09:12 AM
We have talked in the past about doing a snorkeling day on a nearby shallow reef. Lynn and I go to one every once in a while, when the water is just a little warmer. We were at the beach yesterday and the water was just like the Bahamas, turqouise blue and crystal clear, flat as a lake. So maybe in June we can do a full day of snorkeling. Each person will need to be able to swim, have snorkel gear, nets?, bucket and if you want to collect anything, a saltwater fishing license which costs $12.00. We have a hookah with 2 regulators, all collecting gear, buckets and live well in our boat, having done this all over the place. The depth is 4 feet at the shallowest point and goes down to 20 ft on the West side and 10 to 12 on the East side. It is not far from shore, but we will bring our 25' boat-30' overall, which has a huge cockpit area, bimini top, built in coolers, livewell, stereo w/XM satelite radio and swimplatform with 3 step ladder. If more than 5 or 6 total on our boat, then maybe someone else can bring a boat too. Maybe we can do some seining later too. We have underwater video and digital cameras so maybe we can get some pics and post. Any takers? Lets see who wants to go, then try to get a day that we can do it. Steve.

Ah64av8tor
05/15/2007, 09:30 AM
I'm in :) with a boat, just let me know

AquAsylum
05/15/2007, 12:45 PM
We're in (no boat, but can contribute a cooler :) )

JABREEF
05/15/2007, 01:26 PM
I'm in.

myakkareef
05/15/2007, 02:39 PM
Steve, If you can make this trip work that is awesome. I am going to leave it up to you to organize if you do not mind. I can send out a group email, but you might be better just working from the board here since there will be limited spaces and such. Dawn and I will be gone most weekends from now till the end of June, and will be in Michigan for a couple weeks in the middle of June. So it will be nice to have a fill-in organizer. If we happen to be around the weekend it goes down, that is only a plus on our side... Hopefully the weather and water clarity wil stick around. Everyone who goes be safe and hope you see som ecool critters out there...Also do remember to buy a licsense and confirm with Steve what is legal to take. I know we have alomost had trouble before whne we where doing some collecting on our own. It is very expensive if caught with the wrong items, plus you will be on a members boat which could be at risk...

lisaFL
05/15/2007, 03:19 PM
not sure if members of SWFMAS would be invited for this ... but Myself + GF would love to come along.
We've been talking about going snorkeling down in the maimi/lauderdale/keys area sometime last this month, or later in june.

stevemc
05/15/2007, 03:53 PM
I would say anyone can come. Maybe we can get 7-8 on our boat total, and I know Gregs boat may fit 5-6 at least, but it might be easier the less people, because of the gear and buckets etc. Weekends are usually best for most people, although I can get out during the week. I am thinking in a few weeks the water temp should be back up to low 80s. I got up to 85 a month or so ago, then 2 cold fronts knocked it way down. Shore temp is 78-80 depending on the weather, so we'll see. We will have to play it by ear, as weather will play into this. Steve.

inaspin
05/15/2007, 04:13 PM
I have a 19' Chris craft center console I have a disability and unable to dive but id be glad to take people out for the dive. My boat has a swim platform that should help doing this type of thing.

stevemc
05/15/2007, 06:49 PM
Well, it looks like the boat thing should not be a problem! We'll see how many can do it, make a date and see how the weather is holding out. I guess it will be a week to week thing. Does all of you who want to snorkel have snorkeling gear? And know how to swim well? Have small nets? There are things on this reef that are cool to look at or collect. There are 3 species of Lysmata shrimps, at least 4 different species of blennies, several types of gorgonians, several types of hard corals(no takeing! just looking) many types of macro algae, 3 types of Caulerpa, snails, sponges, etc. Plus big fish. Last year we saw a big spotted eagle ray with a big cobia swimming with it. We see snook and sheepsheads sometimes. Usually small gag grouper and mangrove snappers. Many rocks are bright orange as they are coated with boring sponge. Rocks under overhangs are covered with coralline. No live rock collecting. The rocks there are sculpted with small caves and ledges. Should be good! You will need a mask that fits, snorkel, fins that fit, bathing suit, and a shirt when out of water if you burn easy, towels and a bucket and net if you want to try to collect things. For people that have not collected fish or shrimp this way, it can be very frustrating. But I have been doing it since a very small child, as my father was a marine tropical fish collector before I was born, and we lived right on the beach. I have tried to help people to collect and they watch me do it and then they get really mad when they try and cant get any. Maybe we should have a little get together in a couple weeks and I will go over fish and invert collecting and all the nets and things that go with it, and how to do it. Plus I will go over what we can take and how many/much etc. Any input on if any of you would be interested? We could do it at our house. Steve.

stevemc
05/15/2007, 06:52 PM
inaspin, Woody, I see you are a singer. Are you in a band? Several friends have been in bands in Bradenton.

Agu
05/15/2007, 08:53 PM
I'm in if it's a Sunday, can't make Saturdays. Have my own snorkle gear.

xxseawolf
05/15/2007, 09:10 PM
i have a boat and can fit 4 or 5 more on it. im in.

xxseawolf
05/15/2007, 09:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9950601#post9950601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xxseawolf
i have a boat and can fit 4 or 5 more on it. im in. i have a 22 1/2' boat-center console-i could probably get 6 people next to me and my wife.

myakkareef
05/16/2007, 08:28 AM
Deffinetly sounds like the boat problem is not a problem.
Steve, If I can help you in any way let me know...

JABREEF
05/16/2007, 09:09 AM
The pre trip meeting sounds like a good idea. I have an extra pair of fins if anyone needs them. Where do you get a license? How long does it take? Where do you find an OK to collect list? I've been diving and brought back a few goodies. I didn't realize you need a license.

Ah64av8tor
05/16/2007, 09:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9953215#post9953215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JABREEF
The pre trip meeting sounds like a good idea. I have an extra pair of fins if anyone needs them. Where do you get a license? How long does it take? Where do you find an OK to collect list? I've been diving and brought back a few goodies. I didn't realize you need a license.

Go to Wallmart or the tax collector for the license.

Here is summarized recreational harvesting regulations for popular tropical-ornamentals for aquarium species. bag limits (http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm)

JABREEF
05/16/2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks Greg.

inaspin
05/16/2007, 01:25 PM
Im game for a meeting maybe we could have a chart or GPS numbers to get us close to the site we will be heading to.

sandman12
05/16/2007, 05:26 PM
count me in if i dont have to work.

drives300
05/17/2007, 06:47 AM
Im interested . Where is the spot?

Ah64av8tor
05/17/2007, 07:45 AM
You guys kill me.......the guy offers up his secret spot and you want the GPS numbers, you will be lucky if you do not have to hand over your GPS get blind folded and have the boats tethered together.

At least thats how I would would do it :)

Ah64av8tor
05/17/2007, 07:48 AM
Oh yea Im going on sunday. So Steve Ill give you a call for the numbers:)

Anyone want to go on sunday give me a shout.

myakkareef
05/17/2007, 09:46 AM
I think he said it was somewhere off Bradenton Beach.;) :cool:

inaspin
05/17/2007, 09:46 AM
lol I didnt think we were going to a secret spot I would never ask for that type of site but really if we are going there the numbers would be revelled at that time just because we would be there. Hmmmm I think im confusing myself I better just stick to steering my boat.

a2fire2i
05/17/2007, 10:27 AM
Any recomendations for snorkeling gear?

myakkareef
05/17/2007, 12:18 PM
Corey, if your only going to use them a few times a year or maybe less, the sporting goods stores usually have kits with mask, snorkel and fins for a decent price. We bought some at Sams a couple years ago to take on cruises with us and they where good quality for for a decent price. Plus they came in a back pack like bag for touting around...Might check out the new Dicks sporting goods at the corner of 41 and cortez in bradenton also. They seem to be running some good sales for the new store...
Woody, don't take us serious we where just having fun. I believe Steve is planning on taking everyone to a spot just South of Point of Rocks in Sarasota. Which is located just south of Crescent Beach at the end of Stickney Point Road..

xtreamreefer
05/17/2007, 02:57 PM
keep me informed I would be looking forward to going. can this area be reached from the shore or is it too far out?

sandman12
05/17/2007, 05:35 PM
Ruff sea's this weekend :). I'll be out there for the spearboard open.

SoundsFishy2me2
05/18/2007, 01:01 AM
Hey that sounds like fun. I'd like to go to. Gonna make me miss my boat even more now! Plz let me know when / where etc too!

stevemc
05/18/2007, 07:36 AM
Scottys right, it is a reef South of Point-O -Rocks on South Siesta key. And Yes you can go from shore, it is out about 200 ft or less, and about 3-400 feet South of Point O rocks. There is a nice small reef area in front of the point too. The problem is parking. There is none near there. Probably park at Turtle Beach and walk the 3/4 mile back North to the reef area where the rocky shoreline is. I launch at either 10th street ramp on 41 and 10th st, or out next to Mote marine, Ken Thompson parkway ramp. Either one is maybe 5 miles to the spot. I will bring duct tape to cover everyones eyes so that no one sees how to get there, and will confiscate all GPS units and throw them over. J/K!!!!! Wal-mart is easiest place to get lic. 12 dollars or so. Takes 5 minutes. This weekend is taken up as sandman12 said, I will be in a spearfishing tourney. Maybe next week will be good for a predive meeting, so we can go over captureing techniques and equipment. We could do that at our house, but let me make sure about that. Steve.

Bugs825
05/20/2007, 08:24 AM
This sounds awesome. I also have a small (16') boat if needed. I will admit that I am a wimp when it comes to cold water. We went out with the kids last weekend and it was nice at 83 in the bay side. Keep us posted.

Nathan

inaspin
05/24/2007, 12:53 PM
Hi yall so where are we on the meeting? Is there any type of temp tank I need to install on my boat?

sandman12
05/24/2007, 04:19 PM
live wells will work if anyone wants to keep something.

stevemc
05/24/2007, 04:58 PM
For just a few things a 5 gallon bucket will work, just keep it out of the sun. Or a cooler works better.

lisaFL
05/29/2007, 09:12 AM
is there a set date for this?

stevemc
05/29/2007, 05:46 PM
I am going to Ambergis Caye off Belize June 9th through the 15th, so that time is out, maybe Sunday the 17th? Maybe this next weekend? Maybe we could meet Saturday at my house and go over stuff, do a little tank critiqueing, and I could go over how to catch fish and shrimp- its not as easy as it looks. I went out diving 40 to 65 miles out in the gulf commercial spearfishing Sunday, saw lots of good aquarium fish, but, I did not have any fish collecting nets, and I had to produce some grouper. But the water out there was about 70 ft vis. And saw no sharks for a change. Let me know about the possible dates. The water nearshore is over 80 degrees now. And clear.

lisaFL
05/29/2007, 06:58 PM
I'd be interested in coming ... But I'm out from june 8 - 18 .

inaspin
05/29/2007, 07:23 PM
Im game for saturday I need all the instruction I can get.

stevemc
05/30/2007, 12:28 PM
I just realized I work Sunday the 17th. So that is out. Sat the 16th may be too hard on us, as we will have just gotten back from Belize the night before. We dont have a June meeting yet, so maybe this Sat. at our house, we could talk about that, then plan a snorkle day. Let me talk to Lynn about that though.

Ah64av8tor
05/31/2007, 08:15 AM
Im hosting the June Tampa meeting at my house on 9 June at 2:00 pm

All are welcome co come and meet the guys and gals from the tampa club.

o2zen
06/01/2007, 05:01 PM
I will be at Gregs on the 9th and would love to join in on this.

inaspin
06/02/2007, 01:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10049285#post10049285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ah64av8tor
Im hosting the June Tampa meeting at my house on 9 June at 2:00 pm

All are welcome co come and meet the guys and gals from the tampa club.

Where are you located? Id like to make the time to go
Thanks