PDA

View Full Version : used 180 available

drbronx
05/13/2007, 07:34 AM
ShotgunShrimp posted a thread regarding a scratchless used 180 for $400. Sounds like a good deal. he can throw in some other stuff as well which we could use. I told him we are awaiting word from vendors but expect to hear yeah or nay soon. I'd hate to let this slip by if other things don't come through quickly. What do y'all think?

nwrogers
05/13/2007, 07:37 AM
Is it RR?

fatrip
05/13/2007, 07:45 AM
what is scratchless???a brand? i think we should seriously consider it...how long do we have to deside?? this will deffinatly kick things off alot faster...

fatrip
05/13/2007, 07:48 AM
just wondering here sorry to fill this thread with it but what is the full definition of RR? is it overflows with predrilled holes or is there more to it??

nwrogers
05/13/2007, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9932427#post9932427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
what is scratchless???a brand? i think we should seriously consider it...how long do we have to deside?? this will deffinatly kick things off alot faster...

It means the tank doesn't have any scratches. It would be nice if there was such a thing as a scratch less tank…

nwrogers
05/13/2007, 07:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9932431#post9932431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
just wondering here sorry to fill this thread with it but what is the full definition of RR? is it overflows with predrilled holes or is there more to it??

RR = Reef Ready

That means there is an overflow installed, the holes are drilled, and all of the plumping parts come with the tank and are cut to the appropriate sizes ready to assemble.

fatrip
05/13/2007, 07:57 AM
gotcha....that would be very nice if there was a scratchless tanks...lol we wouldnt need the window on the display...lol.. thanks nate

zanclus
05/13/2007, 09:16 AM
I would say go with it if we can . Glass cages' best price is $480. and they are not interested in donating one. On top of that there is a $100. delivery charge to White Plains where we would have to pick it up on the 26th of may.

Piazzon12
05/13/2007, 09:25 AM
Link to the post:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1119792

fatrip
05/13/2007, 10:00 AM
i could probibly go and pic it up with a lil help from some one idk if i could lift a 350 lbs tank alone...lol...if we deside to use it....

fatrip
05/13/2007, 10:08 AM
i also have a place in my house where we could store it for a while...

drbronx
05/13/2007, 06:49 PM
Yes it is reef ready with twinflo overflows. I'll call the zoo and see if they have the funds available. But we should check with St. James who has been working with AGA. i don't want to undercut his efforts.

St.james of reefdom
05/13/2007, 08:07 PM
by all means grab this christmas goose..

I will thank All glass for their consideration ..

drbronx
05/13/2007, 09:10 PM
OK. We have the Saints blessings. Always good to have. Shotgun Shrimp said he is willing to deliver since he has a truck with a lift gate. I will contact the zoo and see how they want to proceed.

fatrip
05/13/2007, 09:21 PM
sweettt....less driving for me...lol...let me know if we need to store it here, ill have to more some things around...

drbronx
05/13/2007, 09:37 PM
We should bring it right to the zoo. Maybe we could keep it in that pump/filter room.

drbronx
05/14/2007, 11:44 AM
I just received approval from the zoo for Shotgun Shrimps 180. delivery will have to wait until after the 23rd when the zoo director is back in town. We are ready to rock!

nwrogers
05/14/2007, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9939174#post9939174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drbronx
I just received approval from the zoo for Shotgun Shrimps 180. delivery will have to wait until after the 23rd when the zoo director is back in town. We are ready to rock!

Great news! Have we found a seahorse tank yet?

zanclus
05/14/2007, 12:02 PM
Excellent . I know George has some glass bits to drill the closed loop holes if needed.

Blugobi
05/14/2007, 03:14 PM
I have a few, can get more when we know what were doing. Man, I should have jumped on this 180,...oh well its going to good cause and I can live with that. :)

drbronx
05/14/2007, 07:01 PM
Sorry George. If you break it while drilling it, its yours:)

Nate: I haven't really thought much about the sea horse taqnk yet. For me its easier to marshall resources towards the 180 and then we can easily add on later.

Dave VG
05/16/2007, 09:03 AM
How big of a tank do we need for the seahorse's?

drbronx
05/16/2007, 09:40 PM
Not quite sure. Possibly a 45 gallon. It doesn't have to be huge. It will be plumbed into the 180 system. I'm not an expert on seahorses but I've read/heard that they prefer a taller tank configuration since they prefer to travel up and down rather than side to side. If any one wants to research seahorses and pipefish for system requirements, feel free. I believe the biggest challenge for them is feeding since they tend to at least initially require live food. I'm not sure if the zoo is aware of that yet since that will require a bit more time for their daily care. W#e'll have to have a live artemia breeder.

fatrip
05/16/2007, 09:44 PM
i believe it was st. james who had said that he has seen places that sell seahorses that eat frozen prepared foods. we should probibly try and get those fish seeings as a seperate breader tank would just take up vital space and consume more energy than need be.

Blugobi
05/17/2007, 06:31 AM
http://www.seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

It was me that brought up where to get the SH's and above is the website.....awesome creatures.

fatrip
05/17/2007, 07:16 AM
i am sorry for under cutting you george...lol...

nwrogers
05/17/2007, 09:12 AM
This looks like the best deal. Seahorses are very cool!

http://seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=93

Blugobi
05/17/2007, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9960108#post9960108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
i am sorry for under cutting you george...lol...

No harm...just did not want you to confuse me with somebody else and think I was ugly or something? lol

nwrogers
05/17/2007, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9961787#post9961787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blugobi
No harm...just did not want you to confuse me with somebody else and think I was ugly or something? lol

:lol:

Blugobi
05/17/2007, 12:55 PM
I know some of you may think these guys are a bit $$$$$ , but there are several things going for them. They are captive bread and raised, and are taught to eat frozen mysis as soon as possible, the will of course eat live, such as the live shrimp provided from the vendor, but the will also eat any pods and or live brine as well. I had two pair of Mustangs for almost 4.5 years, between the two pairs they must have produced over a 1000 young, some of which I did try to raise, but really did not give the time they needed to grow out. They at frozen (Enriched ) Brine as well as mysis and occasionally I would find small glass shrimp and any pods I could round up for them. Low tek system is the best and I would recommend that they are on there own system as the best temp range is about 75-78 degrees, it could be as easy as a canister filter using carbon and a all around nutrient absorber, or even a small sump with a low tek skimmer and filtration that will not trap pods if possible. Lighting is not critical, but enough to keep something like Chateo or some other non-evasive macro that will help the pod population. Lots of places to grab on is ideal for these guys, in fact you could make some rocks on Sunday that would work well…tall skinny with lots of limbs. Current is not a biggy with SH and pipes, in fact they need very little, so the return will be enough. We can keep a few small leathers and shrooms, ricordeas and some zoo’s with no problems that I can for see. I will cruise SH and PF forum for more info on an ideal set up……..keep you posted.

Geo

drbronx
05/17/2007, 09:45 PM
Thanx for the info guts. Those horses look cool. it will definitely be a learning experience for me. Its cool that they eat non-live foods. They are $$ though. Any chance someone might call to ask them to donate a mated pair? It may be a bit of a challenge keeping their tank cool enough. What is the optimal size tank for one or two pair and a couple of pipe fish?