PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 8ft tank

sandman12
04/29/2007, 05:51 PM
Looking to get an 8ft tank for FO and MAYBE some softie's.

1) Who has the best deal on a tank,stand,and canopy? I'm looking at glasscages right now.

2)The BIG question, Glass or Arcylic?

I'm planning on using a 125g for a sump/fuge

Thanks
James

lisaFL
04/29/2007, 08:51 PM
James - i'm not sure if you will be happy with glass cages.

With them .. you def. get what you pay for ... their silicone work is very bad, their trim is flimsy, might as well not put it on.

A friend (local) picked one up ... his silicone work is worse than AGA/Oceanic.... way worse.
Their tanks are also built like a tank ... for the bottom they use double panes of 1/2" glass .. an 8 foot tank will weight somewhere around 500-700lbs depending on width & height.

When he picked his tank up - he didn't notice right away as it was covered up - but his tank has a fish eye on a corner, and a scratch on it.

Just to mention - most of their work seems to be done in a shed in the backyard - by nothing but imigrants that don't speak much english ... when my friend picked up his tank ... they had a bunch of dogs jumping up on his truck as well ... scratched his truck up.

Do a little research on Glass Cages, and you will find very mixed review - some have had no issues at all - others have nothing great to say abou them.

----

Glass
------
1. weight = HEAVY (CON)
2. more resistant to scratches (PRO) - but once scratched ... will not be able to fix (CON)
3. more resistant to coraline groth (PRO)
4. harder to drill (CON)
5. will shadder & bust more easily (CON) - But easier to replace a single pane (PRO)
6. Glass transfers heat ... could be (PRO/CON)

Acrylic
------
1. weight = MUCH Lighter (PRO)
2. Easier to scratch (CON) - HOWEVER scratches can be buffed out ... (PRO)
3. Grows Coraline easier (CON)
4. Easy to drill (PRO)
5. Will not crack & bust as easy (PRO) - Once pane cracks/busts ... NOT easy to replace single pane (CON)
6. Acrylic is a Insulator ... does NOT transfer heat ... could be (PRO/CON) depending on yoru application.

There are many pros & cons for each ... i like the acrylic .. but recently switched to glass. I like the easy of cleaning for the glass ... don't have to pay as mucha ttention ... but i kow i will regret it one day once i scratch the glass... as i will not be able to remove the scratches.

sandman12
04/30/2007, 09:56 AM
The reason I'm looking at glasscages is becuase I don't know who else makes an 8ft tank....any help would be great.

lisaFL
04/30/2007, 10:35 AM
Sandman12,

most custom tank builders will make an 8' tank .. however custom = $ for the most part.

Perfecto makes custom tanks ... 7' is their longest standard tank though - you'd have to go throughone of their re-sellers to inquire about pricing.

I was really looking for an 8' tank .. but after pricing it out .. the 7' tank did just fine.

There are 2 people in the sarasota area that build custom acrylic tanks, and some glass shops will custom build you a glass tank.

John up @ Fish & Other Ichy Stuff in Oldsmas also builds custom acrylic tanks ... his build quality seemed pretty good. he actually uses 2-part weldon ... unlike many others who will use the regular weldon.

You could always look @ Living Colors in Lauderdale area .. they make GREAT acrylic tanks ... however their tanks are $$$$$$$$$$! again .. you get what you pay for to some degree ... their stuff is VERY nice ... you can opt to have the seams polished ... you'll barely be able to tell that the tank has seems on the corners.

Good Luck - post up if you find someone to build you a custom tank. Always good to know who does.

lisaFL
04/30/2007, 10:48 AM
Sandman12,

look @ this ebay action:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-240-GALLON-ACRYLIC-TANK-AQUARIUM-BUILT-TO-ORDER_W0QQitemZ170106793372QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

daywn
04/30/2007, 06:35 PM
send me your email address and i'll send you a couple pics of a 260 acrylic i'm not using.

sandman12
04/30/2007, 07:09 PM
milkmanf12@aol.com

sandman12
05/01/2007, 07:25 PM
I think we have decided to get an all glass 210g 6ft tank.

Thanks
James

hunterpandme
05/01/2007, 09:43 PM
Hey James,
Do you remember the six 33 gallon tanks I got a while back? They were done great and they even had to rush the job for me. The people you talk to in tennessee can't be any nicer. I am going to get a commercial 48" w x 24" d x 48" h from them. If you want a 240 gal (6') I will be selling soon, however it's got a CPR....not drilled. Anyway, good luck finding a tank, and I wouldn't listen to secondhand info if I were you.
Dan

lisaFL
05/08/2007, 11:03 AM
James,
did you ever pickup a tank? or decide what you are going with?

sandman12
05/08/2007, 03:05 PM
I think a 210g 6ft all glass :)

lisaFL
05/08/2007, 04:54 PM
not a bad choice ... thats plenty of tank!