PDA

View Full Version : Cancun Vacation Any Recommendations for Diving?

ryantm
08/29/2002, 05:14 PM
I'm going to Cancun on Vacation for 4 days at the end of october. Anyone with recommendation on scuba dive outfiters for a day trip?

Thanks

Tom

me
08/30/2002, 09:25 PM
I returned from Cozumel in July- I love diving down there. I can't give you a recomendation for cancun, but if your up to venturing a few miles to Cozumel, there is a guy named Fernando Gonzolas with Manta Raya Dives. We always dive with him and have never been disapointed. He has a small fast boat and CARES ABOUT THE REEFS AND ENVIORNMENT. I would suggest a small outfit, divers are "lost" down there all the time on the big boats. Have a GREAT trip! :)

amassey
08/30/2002, 09:29 PM
We just returned from 6 days on Isla Mujeres( an island 5 or so miles off Cancun). There are several dive shops on the island. I suggest you check out the website www.isla mujeres.net for recommendations as I undrestand most of the dive sites are south of this island. Prices are sure to be bettrer than Cancun!!!!

Alsi, thres is a reef complex south of the island ,,, Macharones I believe its called thats supposed to be a good easy dive. We did several snorkel trips which were un-real. Could'nt imagime a what a dive would be like.

kanankeban
09/03/2002, 11:13 PM
Where are you staying, in Cancun itself or the Riviera Maya? If you stay at La Riviera Maya, Cozumel in a very near trip...and that way you should go...Isla Mujeres is not worth it, the good stuff is in Cozumel...

ryantm
09/04/2002, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure about where I'm staying exactly, I've never been to Cancun. However, I do have 2 days to plan the trip, so I was thinking a day trip to Cozumel would be worth it from what I have been reading. My wife will also have to be certified as well. She's taking the classes here in St. Louis so she'll be ready hopefully :). I'll get the exact location of where I'm staying and post back later.

kanankeban
09/07/2002, 12:28 AM
I'll be there from october 13-20 doing some diving in Cozumel...I have some buddys going with me that have done it in the past, and they now some good guides there so, I donĀ“t now the spots but sure they will be great with the help of this guys. If I do the diving before you, I will be able to recommend some good spots...I 've heard about the "garganta del diablo" is a awsome experience...but I think you have to go down to 140 ft.

Jimbo66
09/17/2002, 12:56 PM
My wife & I snorkled Playancar Reef off the coast of Cozumel. It was absolutely VAST and quite spectacular. There are plenty of local dive shops that'll take you out there. Have a great time.... As you may know very few reefs compare to those of the "Mayan Riviera"!

Groucho
09/18/2002, 11:23 AM
I was in Cancun last month and went out with these guys
http://www.scubacancun.com.mx/scubadiving.htm

I was happy with them. One reef called Octopus was pretty cool.

If you have the time, you should definitely head over to Cozumel. Tons of dive shops on the island, too.

epson2k
09/25/2002, 03:17 PM
Im so excited! This friday I'll be arriving in Cancun, Saturday I'll be making my first dive! Im not certified so Im going to have to settle for the resort course. I just wanted to get a feel for diving before I went ahead and got my PADI certification.

Thanks Groucho for that link, I had a hard time looking for a place in cancun. I just hope the city isnt in shambles after Isadore swiped the place.

I just wanted to release my excitement and tell someone about my first dive 3 days from now and what better than reefcentral!

-Steve:D

Jimbo66
09/25/2002, 03:32 PM
Steve- Be sure to let us know all about it when you get back! I hope the storm didn't kick up too much stuff around the reefs. But, even if it did, it will still be a blast! I love Mexico- no matter how you slice it it will be a great vacation!:bounce3:

epson2k
09/25/2002, 05:53 PM
I sure will! Do you or anyone on here have any advice on techniques for taking pictures underwater with a disposble??

Jimbo66
09/26/2002, 06:36 AM
I used a similar type camera- A $30 underwater reusable. DO NOT expect National Geographic quality pics! These type of cameras are really only good to capture memories of the dive or vacation.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a housing & flash for my Nikon, but those would set me back a couple grand, so I've decided to let the pros take care of the art and I'll take care of the memories.

epson2k
09/26/2002, 05:27 PM
Just purchased a Kodak MAX waterproff disposable. Is there enough light 25 feet down? or do I need to use flash?

Jimbo66
09/27/2002, 07:09 AM
Steve- sorry, I don't have any experience with that camera so I can't give you a direct answer. What I do know is that a flash is often needed in dives to get the details & help define the colors- especially if you want to capture quick moving sealife. But, like I said in a previous post, we aint exactly shooting for National Geographic pics here. Water distorts colors and light to certain degrees depending where & what you're shooting. That's why dive photographers spend so much on the equipment- to compensate for these factors.
With a disposable, under bright conditions, you should be able to get enough detail to look back at the pics & say- "remember when we saw that turtle" or "I wish I had that in my tank!". Remember- if you shoot downwards where it gets darker, the camera may not get exactly what you are seeing. The resulting image may appear washed out. Even with a "cheapo" flash like we had on our $30 camera, these deep shots are seldom successful. But at 25' the camera will be perfect for taking posed snapshots of you and your partner(s) during the dive!

Good luck & have fun.
:fish1: :fish2: :fish1::wavehand:

Groucho
09/27/2002, 11:31 AM
I used a Fuji disposable at 50 ft with no leak problem (maybe I just got lucky)

Just remember everything will be a lot bluer and try to get as close as you can - anything beyond 10 ft doesn't come out too well, imo

hth - and ENJOY !!!

epson2k
09/30/2002, 11:56 PM
The dive was simply awesome. As many of you know, hurricane Isadore barely hit Cancun. This caused the ocean floor to stir up so the visibility was not its greatest. Although the dive itself was awesome. Saw many coral, brain, elk, some sps (I think), stingrays, nurseshark, puffers, clowns, ton of damsels. I simply cannot wait until I get certified, off to cozumel I go!

epson2k
10/01/2002, 09:18 PM
Here are some pictures

http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/rbalatba/pics/cancun02

Jimbo66
10/02/2002, 07:16 AM
Steve-

The pics look awesome! Makes me want to be there! Now you just gotta watch out for Hurricane Lili- although I don't think it's headed in your direction.

Have a shot of tequilla for me.:bum:

kanankeban
10/23/2002, 07:16 PM
Which sites did you do?

epson2k
10/23/2002, 10:28 PM
Since it was my first dive and b/c I didnt have time, I decided to just dive in Cancun. It was alright, nothing really magnificent to look at. The current was pretty strong by which I started to hyperventalate. The instructor lowered me first and being alone underwater with a current pushing you away from the anchor, you will freak :p Next time im back in Cancun I will definately make it out to Cozumel and Isla Mujeres.

kanankeban
10/24/2002, 11:04 AM
Go to Cozumel, in specific to Palancar and Yucab this are two awesome sites...to dive...you will not regret it!...