PDA

View Full Version : Hiya, Folks!

akwtampa
04/20/2007, 09:02 AM
Hello, all.. :)

I just realized this forum was here! I've been lurking in the TBRC forums for a while now, but you guys all seem to be in the same area as I am, so I figure I'll lurk here, too..

I've been looking over some posts and get the impression that you guys may be able to lend advice of a DIY sort.. I'm just about to embark on a new 180 gallon setup and I'm considering trying out construction of a DIY skimmer.. If there's anyone who has done it before and would like to chime in and/or lend some assistance, I'd be VERY appreciative!

A little backround on what the setup will consist of: 180 gallon RR, ~50 gallon Sump, Dart return pump through 80 watt UV, ~250 Lbs LR, 1"-2" sand bed, mostly softies coral wise. And probably more fish than I need, suffice it to say, full grown the raio will be 1 inch of fish to 3 gallons of water volume..

I'm thinking about a Skimmer 8" diameter, and an 18" reaction chamber and a 6" tall collection cup. I've only got 27" or so under the tank, so I'm trying to be conservative.. I'm working on trying to get a couple of ER Sedra 5000 pumps to run it, but I'm not 100% sure on anything else..

Also, within 3 months or so, I'm considering buying a 65 long from Glasscages to server as a sump / fuge the dimensions of which are 48"x17"x16" if I remember right.. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to do this, but it's been brewing as an idea for a while..

Any help would be great! I'm in the weeki Wachee area and would love to take a look at some neat DIY stuff..

dmbedard
04/20/2007, 10:34 AM
You should get with Ted (reefrubble) and Steve (Steven M). Steve has built some amazing skimmers and they are both serious diy guys who are happy to share advice. Also, Ted lives in WW too!

Hope to see you at one of our meetings soon : )

Diane

akwtampa
04/20/2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks.. :) Actually, Steve's name was mentioned to me by a friend of mine in regards to his skimmer savvy..

I'm going to see what I can do about getting to the meeting in May, when it's announced.. :) I've got a couple of decent frags I'll bring, as well..

Steven M
04/20/2007, 06:52 PM
You can look at my web site and see the skimmers I've made. Will help if I can. Adnup has a nice skimmer he made out of PVC.
Steve

akwtampa
04/20/2007, 10:58 PM
I was considering using regular PVC.. I would just like to have some way to eyeball my water in the reaction chamber.. Doesn't Home Depot sell like 8" to 4" reducers that have a nice angle to them? I can't remember..

My biggest problem is, how much flow I'll need water-wise vs how many pumps I'll need to make bubbles... I'm trying now to get my hands firmly on a pair of Sedra 5000s but I don't even know if I *really* need that much pump.. Heck, even the ER250 doesn't have 2 pumps for bubble production..

I'm also kind of curious about some mods for a CSS220 that I have currently.. I'm new to doing mods to these types of components, and a bit green, I'll admit..

Thanks for the offers of help.. StevenM, your skimmer is Sweet but maybe a bit of overkill for me.. hehe.. I am eager to come to a meeting and would like to discuss skimmer design a bit more.. ;)

THanks all!!

Aaron

adnup
04/21/2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Akwtampa! welcome.

My skimmer was based on <a href="http://www.randystacye.com/diy_needle_wheel_skimmer.htm">RandystaceyE's</a> design. With two higher gph pumps I think it would easily handle a 180. FYI mine cost under $100 to make.

This isnt the best pic but, here it is.. http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/2/8/7/2/3/webimg/42493204_o.jpg

PS I was just testing it in this pic. I've changes the feed line, not so ghetto..:D

akwtampa
04/21/2007, 11:15 AM
Wow.. that's a lot nicer than I thought a PVC system would look.. I'll have to beg some audience with that bad boy one of these days.. hehe.. :)

How tall is it? looks to be like 3'! maybe it's just the perspective..

adnup
04/21/2007, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9780417#post9780417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akwtampa
How tall is it? looks to be like 3'! maybe it's just the perspective..

It body is 24" tall then the cone and cup probably bring it up to 3'

akwtampa
04/22/2007, 05:21 PM
I've got a pretty nice collection cup I want to use... The only problem I can see with it is that it has a 3" neck and I'm not sure if they make 3" unions.. I suppose I need to get to home depot and do some research..

As far as height, I only have 29" to work with, so I'm thinking I will probably be limited to 22" for the chamber..

What diameter is the chamber? and what pumps do you use for recirc and feed?

adnup
04/22/2007, 06:31 PM
Mine has a 2" neck, maybe a 3" to 2" reducer would work. Its a 6" chamber and a Gen-x 2400 recirc(not sure if I'm happy with it) and a maxi 1200 for feed.

akwtampa
04/22/2007, 07:06 PM
I'm going to head to Lowes tomorrow after work and wee what I can see.. It would be nice to be able to build this thing for around 150 or so.. I've got a MAG7 that I could use for feed.. maybe a Sedra 5k for recirc.. not sure if I want to use a NW pump.. I suppose if it's good enough for ER, than it should be good enough for me..

I'm still thinking an 8" diameter would work well.. maybe 22" tall reaction chamber..