PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers

Sangogo
04/19/2007, 04:28 AM
I am thinking about buying a new skimmer. But looking at the massive US selection of skimmers vs. the sad selection of skimmers in Japan, I wanted to know what type of skimmers you guys have on your tanks.

Do you keep your skimmers in your sump or outside the sump? (Not sure if there is any hidden benefit to either.) Outside seems pretty neat, but probably can't be hidden away in my stand and would look oogly in my living room.

My current skimmer was like DIRT cheap. It's the skimmer by Queen. The guy I buy most of my equipment for, sells it for like $30 (SRP is like $160 from what I hear though). It's not a bad skimmer by any means, definitely a good buy for its price, but I think I want something a little more efficient.

I notice that most places sell the Red Sea skimmers. Are these any good?

hot4teacher
04/19/2007, 06:05 AM
I had a Aqua C Remora on my 13 gal when I had that running. Did a pretty good job. Keep in mind it was one on the back of the display (I didn't have a sump) and for best skimming, I had to install the box so that it drew water from the surface, which meant in order for it to be the most effective, the water level had to be spot on.

I now use a Aqua C Urchin in the 29gal sump for my 65gal tank. Works really well, and pretty big in size.

My advice, get the biggest skimmer you can fit/afford. I don't think there is any such thing as "over skimming".

I never had a Red Sea skimmer, but looking at the user reviews on here, I think you could do better.

Dana

ps When are we all invited over to check out the tank???

Sangogo
04/19/2007, 06:56 AM
Woah, that thing is huge! Not sure if it will fit....

As for checking out my lackluster tank, probably will have to be post golden week, if you're serious. I think I'm living at the office for until then.

vest0830
04/19/2007, 07:08 AM
Euro-reef. Its an older model and im not sure exactly which one it is (cant remeber) but its the $400 one... does a real nice job. I sits in the sump. ONLY thing I dont like about it, euroreef should have made "the valve-gate mod" standard. I havent looked at there line up in a long time, so I really dont know...they might already have it included. Mike just purchased the same skimmer...his came the exact same way mine is set up.
"the departed" has a real nice skimmer. Im sure he will chime in on the matter.

TheDeparted
04/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Ive got a PM bullet 1.. great skimmer.

Bluezooaquatics-skimmers (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/product_info.php?id=788)

Sangogo
04/19/2007, 08:40 PM
"The departed":

Oh cool, I have seen quite a few places sell those.

How big is your tank? Does yours go in the sump or is it external?

Edit: wow, the smallest one is 26 X 26 cm at the base! I also notice that it does not come with a pump. Do you just use a hose to connect it to a pump?

TheDeparted
04/20/2007, 03:50 PM
I have a 55gal tank with a 20ish gallon sump. You can get one with a pump or without. they come with Sedra pumps but Ive heard Mag pumps work will too. And I have it sitting in my sump. the nice thing about those skimmers is they're not very tall.. so for people with limited space they're pretty nice.

Sangogo
04/20/2007, 07:29 PM
hmm . . I'd probably have to get the bigger external ones, since I can't fit the smallest one in the sump. Which then means I have to find a pretty way to keep it out. Maybe a small cabinet that I can place a houseplant on.

I still have some time to think about it. The current one I use is meant for a 500 liter (132 gallon) tank, so I don't need to replace it yet. (Though having to adjust it all the time drives me nuts.)

Thanks for the advice.