PDA

View Full Version : cut and run? (or cut and stay)

TooFar2Sea
08/28/2002, 02:13 PM
I have a large colt in one of my display tanks that is ready to frag. The coral is attached in such a way that the cuts will have to be done in the tank. Is it better to leave the frags in the display for a time so as to minimize their shock or is it better to move them immediately to the grow out system to minimize the shock and slime to the display tanks other corals (softies and SPS).

Frick-n-Frags
08/28/2002, 06:04 PM
When you actually apply the scissors to the animal and make the cut, is when all the spew and slime gets generated. As it sits, it calms down. So, where you make the cut is where the spew gets into the water and if you don't want to stress the rest of the gang, remove the animal to a bucket of water to do the cutting.

If there is no way for sure, you may be able to slowly frag it with rubberbands or tiewraps and over a week cut it slowly, the stupid coral doesn't even know it is being divided and no trauma spewing.

Also with straight cutting, the quicker and more sure the cut is, the less trauma the animal takes. AND if you just cut one branch per day, you would spread the spewing out over a week of small doses rather than one large slaughterfest with slime hanging everywhere.

Scissors rule, and I can now cut a Xenia off so fast it doesn't even stop pulsing as it is drifting away from its base. If you don't jangle the nerve net, one end of the coral won't even know the other end was hit.

Heavenly Damsel
09/02/2002, 07:51 AM
My colt slimed a lot when I fragged it, and I did it in a bowl outside the tank. I let it sit for a short time before placing it back into the main tank and still had a reaction from nearby corals. It was interesting because I had thought of everything...I thought. I placed it back in the main tank near the overflow with the powerheads blowing toward the overflow so the toxins would be taken away very quickly......and still had a reaction from nearby corals.
I would think twice before fragging it in the main tank.....just my humble opinion.

TooFar2Sea
09/02/2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice. As I said, it was not an option to move the coral so I went with Frick-n-Frags suggestion and started with just two cuttings tonight. I used sharp scissors (says so on the box) and made quick and decisive cuts, snip-snip. The mother colony was completely open again after 10 minutes and the nearby corals (sps and zooanthids) did not close or show any negative reactions. I saw no spewing at all. I am tempted to make a few more cuts but will wait a few days.Heavenly Damsel : perhaps your coral was more upset by the move than by the cuts?

Thanks again and does anybody need any colt frags? ;)

Frick-n-Frags
09/03/2002, 12:21 AM
YEAHHHHH! the fragomaniacs win another one. Excellent!!!!