PDA

View Full Version : Help/ideas on softy prop tank

Totlxtc
08/28/2002, 12:42 PM
Hello all,

I think i'm going to setup a prop tank for some softies. Right now i have a 110g stock tank and prop racks built. Doesnt look like i will have a sump for the time being but plan to add one later if things go well. I got the parts to make a Borneman Surge device (practicing for the SPS tank). Is a surge fine on a softy tank or should i leave it off? I have either a Mag 9.5 or several MJ1200 powerheads to use for circulation, not sure which to use. Also have 2 heaters, and a top off unit.

Next big thing is Lighting! I can either go with a 250w MH (6,5K) w/ NO actinics or 4- 36" VHO's. Right now i have toadstools, GSP, Yellow Polyps, cabage leathers for the prop tank once its cycled. What type of lighting would you use. Dont really want to use both but could if need be. If i go with the VHO's what combination of bulbs should i go with (i only have the ballast and harness)?

Thanks for your help and please add anything you feel might help. Or post photos of your softy setups.

Totlxtc
08/28/2002, 12:45 PM
Picture of the tank and stand. I still need to put the Plywood top on the stand.

Totlxtc
08/28/2002, 12:53 PM
Here are the racks i built. The side racks are 8"x24" and the center one is 12"x24".

Totlxtc
08/28/2002, 12:53 PM
Double post. :o

Piero
08/29/2002, 03:26 AM
nice rack.;)

Frick-n-Frags
08/29/2002, 06:18 AM
That looks like a cool setup. I would recommend starting with VHO flourescent and remain open minded about some supplementation.

Actually, here's a thought: I would use all Super actinics on the VHO ballast, this isn't a showtank so get the most photosynthetic bang for your buck.
THEN purchase two LOA Walmart 65w PC worklights for your white light supplementation. They are $25 each and bright as hell. Cool white. They actually add PAR and I have had a piece of Pocillapora damicornis under one since last Halloween and it is way bigger than when I put it in(3X), and I never have fed it, point is, those LOA worklamps will help and you won't waste VHO power on anything but actinic)

Totlxtc
08/29/2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies! :)

I agree on not needing it to look proper to my eyes since its not a show tank. Plus i doubt i would notice much difference when viewing from above anyways. I do have one 65w LOA shoplight from an old 10g refugium. So your idea about the VHO's and LOA will work out pretty good. Thanks for the bulb suggestions. I only have VHO actinic lighting on my Main tank and never looked or seen what the other types of VHO were/looked like.

biomekanic
08/29/2002, 04:35 PM
HD has those LOA security lights to. those puppies are bright, 64w 6500K, but a bit more money, $29.99.

Heavenly Damsel
09/02/2002, 01:09 PM
HD will beat the price by 10% given the opportunity. My son works for them. It's a no questions asked policy, they just assume the customer is right. What a concept!