PDA

View Full Version : Help me aviod disaster

RobTop
04/17/2007, 09:31 AM
Help me avoid disaster
I am planning to rework some stuff on the 220 I'm looking for input on the plan. The system is a 220+125 fuge and 100 sump.

1st I'll shut the returns down and pull 100 gallons to a holding tank. This tank is just for the coral, it has 2 dump surges and 2 actuated ball valves to provide random flow off an Iwaki40. 400w MH in a luminarc

2nd I'll pull another 50 gallons out to a rock cleaning/flat worm nuking tank.

3rd are fish to the 125 fuge. I'll then get the fuge and sump back running and go to work on the 220.

Work includes some new plumbing, switching a dart to a barracuda, adding a sand bed. nukeing the freaking flat worms, and reaqua scapping.

I expect this to be a 10-12 hour project, but with the way things go for me, lets just say the corals are in holding for 24-36 hours.

Thoughts?

goat585
04/17/2007, 01:00 PM
I think you would be okay. I have moved my saltwater tank a couple times and I have done it with less than what you area planning with good results. I in my experience I try and use a good amount of the old water when I put everything back to preventing shocking the corals and fish. I think to much new water can be a problem right away. You can always do water changes the next few days if you have water chemistry problems. I try and keep my water parameters as close as possible through out the whole process.

auto_loader
04/17/2007, 07:55 PM
I would make sure that the surge setups function properly before shutting off the system. You would not want to be spending time to de-bug surges if they dont work right off the bat.

I spent a week trying to de-bug one I built. Then I called Rod and had it running about a half hour later. But since we just got a good lesson in surge tank construction during the meeting at Rods last month it should be a breeze.