PDA

View Full Version : Heliofungia actinformis (Plate Coral)

DGB
03/21/2000, 09:09 AM
What are the flow requirements? Should the tentacles sway or blow constantly? I just purchased one and the tentacles do not expand fully, the coral is located in high flow, maybe I should reposition.
Thanks, David

Doug
03/21/2000, 09:55 AM
Hi David,

I have found that a low/moderate flow rate seemed to work better for me and allowed the coral to expand better than when I had it in a high flow area. A gentle motion seemed give me the best results.

Also, I have had better expansion when placing the coral right on the substrate and not on the rockwork. Try to pen it in with some live rock around it because they do have a tendency to wander and sting other corals or get stung.

Doug

------------------
Doug's Reef and Fish Page (http://38.222.244.200/dougw)

dendronepthya
03/21/2000, 10:03 AM
How difficult are these things to take care of? I saw a nice one 1' in diameter at the LFS with a neat purple and green color. I thought they were very challenging though, so I did not purchase it.

alde
03/21/2000, 11:57 AM
I have a Plate Coral that I got a good deal on because it had a bit of tissue recession. I paid $14.95 for it.

I placed in on the bottom sitting on the sand under VHO lights. It is feed small pieces of food about 3 times a week and it is in enough flow to keep the tenticles moving. It expands very well and the tissue grew back in a few weeks.

I think it has a pretty strong sting. My Cleaner Shrimp that walk on most corals look like they got a HOT FOOT when they touch the plate.

It's a great coral and seems pretty hardy and easy to care for.

Al

------------------
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.