PDA

View Full Version : Sam, Josh or Anybody HELP!!!!!

benjabba
04/16/2007, 06:07 PM
I have recently set up my new tank and am having a few problems. I set it up a few weeks ago but have not had the time to work on it since then. Here are the problems I am having. First, the Durso Pipes are leaking at the bulkhead. What I mean is when I turn off the power the overflow will drain completely into the sump and then continue to trickle as water slowly builds up past the top of the Bulkhead. I did not silicone the pipes in, should i do this? Second, i am having a problem with getting water to flow from both overflows into the sump at the same time. It is one or the other but never both. I have tried to adjust the height of the pipes in both overflows to correct this but so far it has not worked. This is driving me CRAZY!!!

This is my first go at a drilled tank with a sump so there are a few other things I hope somebody can Answer. The tank I have has two overflows. What appears to be happening is that there is not enough water flowing into the overflows. It doesn't seem right to me that the water level in the main tank should have to be almost to the trim for water to flow into the overflow, again I am new to this type of setup so please correct me if I am wrong. The overflow itself has an outer wall which has slots for water to flow in at 3 different levels. Then there is an inner wall which the water must come over the top of to flow down into the overflow. This inner wall is almost the same height as the outer wall. So is the answer to put more water in the tank? To me it seems like there should also be slots on the inner walls to allow water to enter the overflow. How do you clean in-between the walls of the overflow?

Sorry about the lengthy post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

killingseed
04/16/2007, 08:12 PM
do you have a picture of the setup?

you can use some silcon on the inside of the bulk head between the glass and bulkhead to help seal it.

benjabba
04/16/2007, 08:15 PM
I do have pics of the setup I just have not had time to post them. Hopefully by Wednesday i will.

seacreatures11335
04/16/2007, 08:16 PM
Ben,
This is Jimmy from Sea Creatures, i am not sure if we have ever met. Anyways, 1. It sounds like your aquarium might be level thats why you get more water through one overflow and not the other. 2. I would not silicone the pipes to the bulk heads its good every once and a while to rmove the pipes and flush the bottom of the overflows, instead put ball valves on the drain pipes heading towards the sump. 3. The walls of the overflow are used to suchion water from several levels of the water column, not just the surface, but most water pulled from the surface anyway. I never really had to clean between the walls but pipe cleaning tools might work. I would like to come check it out if you don't live to far give me a call 915-849-6767. 12pm - 7pm Tues - Sat

killingseed
04/16/2007, 08:18 PM
what size pump are you using on the return?
sound like a bigger pump then the over flow can handle if it having to the hight up by the trim?

killingseed
04/16/2007, 08:25 PM
its always helpful when someone is willing to go by and view the problems, that for sure.

i personal i dont think i matter about siliconeing pvc or balk head , silicone doesnt adhear to plastic.

Myrphie
04/16/2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Ben, just read your post. About the bulkhead leaking, I'd definitely make sure the bulkheads weren't tightened too tight. If the gaskets get deformed they will leak. That may be what's going on. I wouldn't recommend putting silicone on since it's inevitable that you'll need to get in there and unscrew them eventually.

I'm not quite picturing the problem with the overflows, but I can get over there after 6 tomorrow or Wed. or anytime Thursday or Friday if you'd like me to check it out.

Here's my # again: 497-0647.

- Josh

benjabba
04/16/2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your help guys. One thing for sure is the tank is not totally level. It is sitting on carpet and the sump is not centered in the stand, it is set to the far right of the tank to make room for the return pump and any other goodies I will add. I am using the Dart Reeflo for my return. For sure the overflow on the right of the tank works better, but if I raise the Durso pipe on the left I can get good flow from the left overflow and almost nothing from the right. The problem is I can not get the overflows to fill consistantly. It seems like the water is not flowing freely into either overflow. I have taken both pipes out and made sure they are the set at the same height and that did not work. I have also tried them at different heights to compensate for slight right tilt in the tank and that did not work either. I do have a ball/union set up on the drain line.

"About the bulkhead leaking, I'd definitely make sure the bulkheads weren't tightened too tight. If the gaskets get deformed they will leak." The leak is not external to the plumbing it is a slow trickle into the sump. I killed the power to the tank to check where the water would level off in the tank and I noticed that once the water gets below the openings in the Durso pipe it continues to trickle into the tank. At first I thought it was just resisudal water left in the drain pipes but I checked again before I went to bed sure enough the overflows were empty and the sump was about ready to averflow. Thank god for the Ball Valve on the the drain line.

Myrphie
04/16/2007, 09:59 PM
I'm really curious where the water might be leaking from. It's possible the seals on the adjustable dursos themselves are not working. Else it might just be the fit on the reducer bushing, either the part the durso connects to or where it meets the bulkhead itself. If it comes to it, you might consider making fixed durso pipes to take the guesswork out.

Hope you get the pics posted soon, I'd be curious to see how it's looking.

- Josh

bpatrol
04/16/2007, 10:55 PM
the dart is a great pump but not a great return pump. it does 3600 g.p.h. and is too much for your tank. i tried it on a 180 with dual overflows and it was way too much. you want about 4-6 times turnover in your sump. anymore and you will likely get bubbles in your tank and will have problems balancing the return.
you would be better off with a smaller pump or choking the pump at the output. It wont hurt the pump but its a waste of a good high flow pump...get a smaller pump...have someone bring you a mag 12 or something...i had a mag 18 on mine and it was fine...good luck..bpatrol

Salty Sam
04/17/2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Ben, something doesnt sound right....you and Bruce both have the exact setups and his is working very well.....try to get some pics of it all so I can compare to Bruce's setup....Josh can fix it....he's great with plumbing.

benjabba
04/17/2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't get off work in time to work on the tank today but I hope to have time tomorrow. Pics will probably be impossible to post until this weekend.

killingseed
04/17/2007, 10:26 PM
if you need help posting you can email them to me and i can get them posted for you.

benjabba
04/17/2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the offer. It is just a matter of having the time to do it.

strayvoltage
04/18/2007, 12:40 AM
Ben, if it were me before i went any farther I would really try to get the tank more level. It wont be a pretty thing if the tank cracks or even breaks from not being level. You don't say how off level it is , but it sounds like it could be enough so that one overflow gets more water to it than the other. To me it is very important to have the tank level. I could be all wrong about that.

Myrphie
04/18/2007, 10:02 PM
I agree that leveling out the tank should definitely be a top priority. A few shims should do the trick and shouldn't be too hard to place since the tank is on carpet.

benjabba
04/19/2007, 07:43 AM
I will try to level it out using shims this weekend. It is probably about 1/2" off level. If the shims dont work I guess I will be moving the sump to the center of the stand.

Myrphie
04/19/2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure moving the sump will make much of a difference, but I imagine the shims will work.