PDA

View Full Version : Best snorkling right off of the beach vacation?

Hunter77
08/27/2002, 03:01 PM
Here's what I want out of my next vacation: I would like a nice resort type of place on the beach where i have to do nothing except eat, sleep, and snorkle on the beach. Where is the best place to just grab the snorkle mask and go swimming right of the beach at my leisure, any time of the day I want. I want there to be a decent reef right off the shore, i guess it would be more like a lagoon.

Where, geographically is the best place to do this? Please include cost per person if you can, thanks for your help!

billsreef
08/27/2002, 07:07 PM
What's your experiece level and how far are you willing to travel?

RicksReefs
08/27/2002, 09:21 PM
head to your local dive store &
pick up a copy of skin diver,dive training,
or similar magazine.they always have
beach dive packages advertised in'em.

Hunter77
08/28/2002, 07:09 AM
I have no dive experience, but I have been snorkleing all my life. I can swim! Plan on getting serious with diving down the road but way to busy right now. I wanna relax, grab the mask and see some cool reef stuff at my leisure. I have snorkled at a small reef area literaly a few feet into the ocean on a small bahama island (princess kays). I thought it was the coolest thing ever, everything was right there and I only needed a snorkel. Took some cool underwater photos too. there were most of your basic carribian fishes. saw a huge nassau grouper, 2.5-3 feet. I guess I will go anywhere, kinda saving hawaii, australia, and places like that for a more serious site seeing vacation.

I'll pick up that magazine, thanks.

clutchcargo
08/28/2002, 07:51 AM
The Big Island of Hawaii has some excellant shallow reefs <20'. If you're into seeing things up close and personal, consider getting scuba certified. The are many dive resorts in the caribbean that have house reefs. Bonaire, Grand Cayman has excellant shore diving opportunities but the reef systems are a little on the deep side for snorkling. My next trip is to Roatan, Honduras so that I can dive their house reef. US Airways is adding Belize to the caribbean network, also an excellant option.
GL

me
08/30/2002, 09:28 PM
Cozumel is Nice! (Very Nice):D

theanemoneman
09/04/2002, 05:41 PM
My wife and I are going to a beach just north of Majahual Mexico in November. It is a small town a few miles north of Belize. I have been told the reef there is fantastic for snorkling and is right offshore. It is far enough south and away from the main tourist area that it may be just what I'm (and it sounds like you too) looking for. Rest, relaxation, no bands or themes, and great snorkling (and diving) right off shore. I can't wait...

Mark

Pasquale
09/08/2002, 09:36 AM
If your looking for snorkeling right from your beach. I have a good place for you. I just got back from Turks and Caicos. Coral Gardens has a great Reef beach which is right on there property beach. Walk a few feet and go right in with your snorkel stuff and you will see one of the best snorkeling around. Believe me it was great seeing almost every fish in carribbean. Plenty of queen angel and wrasse and parrot fish. Turltes and sting rays and barracuda and octopus. Just bring a bag of chips and the fish will eat right out of your hand. They will follow you everywhere you go. I had the best time snorkeling there. Highly recommend if you want to snorkel right from the beach.

printerdown01
09/09/2002, 09:53 PM
If you are looking for fish and turtles the best spot IMO is Black Rock. It is located on Lahina (a popular beach) on Maui! It has a nice reef sceen...

pmathy
09/10/2002, 12:54 AM
For a the type of relaxing, easy going setting you are seeking, with great snorkling, right off the beach, I suggest the Club Med village in Cancun, Mexico. If you have never been to one, Club Med is an "all enclusive" resort. This means, all your sports (snorkling, sailing, wind surfing, tennis, water skiing and much more), food, entertainment, etc. These are all available in the village, plus there are additional excursions (for an extra charge) with more activities. The atmosphere is very low-key and casual--no dressing up for dinner, etc. My husband and I have gone to a number of Club Meds in Mexico and always have a wonderful time. I can't quote you a cost per person--but I think you will find the rates very reasonable.

www.clubmed.com
1-800-CLUBMED

Enjoy,

Pam

max628
09/10/2002, 07:30 PM
Try the Destin jetties in Destin Fl. Though not near as exotic there are many fish.

JazzMan
09/10/2002, 07:34 PM
Cayman Brac

DKKA
09/24/2002, 08:37 AM
If you're going to the Bahamas try Dead Man's reef in Freeport.
It's a lagoon/reef system off by itself on one end of the island. Lot's of big brain and even Elkhorn when I was there in the spring.
There's just one small resort there that has private access to the reef. It's a family run dive called Paradise Cove. The kind of place where, if you want a coconut drink then they'll pull out the ladder and climb the tree in the back yard to pick one.

We only snorkelled there though, so I don't know what the rooms where like.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?postid=598984

Dan